Upstate NY Babies
Options

Bad mom inside

I hate clipping his nails. I am afraid that I am going to hurt him. He is ok with the process but he does squirm. I have tried doing this while nursing but that was a big fail.

Ok so here is where I am a bad mom... while clipping his nails I clipped the tip of his finger. He moved just as I was clamping down and boy did he scream. I calmed him down quickly but he bleed for about 20 mins. Dh took him towards the end of it when he thought the bleeding had stopped but I am finding dried blood on his toys. Yuck!

I may try and go back to filing until I can bring myself to try clipping again. Of course DH won't do this as much of the baby grooming falls to me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bad mom inside

• Options
    Evan is actually pretty good about getting his nails cut, as long as DH is distracting him w/ a book... so it takes 2 of us. When he was little I would bite his nails, because I was afraid of cutting them!
  • Options
    I think many moms have had this experience....you're not a bad mom!  It's tough.  It will get easier in that you won't feel like you're going to clip him; but the squirming doesn't get much better! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I still clip while nursing.  But I only do it during the bedtime nursing bc she is all drowsy and doesn't really notice.  I once clipped the inside of the finger next to the nail I was clipping.  The look on her face was awful.  It was one of those cries where she is so upset she can't even breathe in.

• Options
    i cut Eve like that when she was teeny tiny.. I actually went and got teeny tiny bandaid for her finger cuz i felt so terrible. DH said to me when he was putting it on.. "You know this is more for you than for her right?" I still hate clipping Eves nails but I don't think she holds a grudge against me for it.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Options
    I did that to Evan and thought the bleeding had stopped before putting him down for a nap...when I got him up there were hundreds of little blood spots on his sheet.
  • Options
    I clipped Abby's finger the first time I cut her nails.  I also did it the last time I cut her nails.  I felt so bad.  I told DH he is cutting her nails this time.
  • Options
    I think everyone has done this, I know I have.  I know one time I cut Rosie, and my DH said that he had "had enough" and he was going to cut her nails from that point on.  So the next time she needed her nails trimmed, he did it, and cut her.  He gave nail trimming responsibilities back to me.  :)
  • Options
    I figured that I wasn't the only one and I take comfort in your stories. Thanks for sharing. I really wish this was easier to do.
  • Options

my mom said she couldn't cut my nails b/c she was afraid of cutting me, instead my dad bith them off... now eveytime she yells at me to stop biting my nails i tell her it's all her fault.

your not a bad mom, it happens.

<knock on wood> i've been very good at not cutting Michael. and i usually cut his nails in the poorest of lighting- in the evening just before bed. i always used the football hold when nursing and i would snip his nails then. maybe try a diffent hold when nursing to get a better angle on thise little fingers?

i guess cutting my two cat's nails must have been good practice for me- they are extra squirmy and have really sharp teeth!! lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"