Breastfeeding

Mastitis

I think I've officially had it all...blocked ducts, thrush for 5 weeks and now mastitis! If you've had mastitis before, how were you successful in emptying the infected breast? It hurts too bad to massage but I really think it''s engorged and the pain won't stop until I can get this thing emptied! augh - EP'ing sux!!!

Re: Mastitis

• Nope, I ended up in the hospital on IV antibiotics...twice. Then I developed an abscess which I'm still dealing with almost 2 months later. Good luck! Warm compresses, lots of massage...even though it hurts! Hope it works for you! You can take some ibuprofen for the pain. I took 800mg every 8 hours.
  • Yikes - that scares the pants off me. Dr said we "caught it early." I can't imagine what it feels like to catch it late. I already feel like I want to amputate my left breast. I'm serious - lop it right off.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just got over mastitis.  I took 2 ibuprofen every 4-5 hours with food, which really helped take the edge off.  You have to rest!  And do the heat compress and massage, though it sucks.  But I felt so much better after about 2 days!!!! 
  • I had mastitis when DS was 3 weeks old. They say to do moist heat but I primarily used a heating pad because it was easier, and I had a C-section so I just moved it from boob to belly. It helped me to take a few showers a day, and honestly the only thing that helps is pumping or bf. It hurts so bad but if you stick with it, after a few days hopefully you will be feeling better. Take an anti-inflammatory because inflammation is what can cause the plugged ducts. Just make sure you take care of yourself so it doesn't get worse.
  • I found massaging was easiest in the shower - put some soap on your breast and it helps your fingers slide easily on the skin, somehow makes the massaging better.

GL and feel better! I had it 5 times, it's a b*tch.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • 5 times? You deserve a medal!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"