Preemies
Options

Questions about seeing a GI?

LO was diagnosed with severe reflux a week after his birth, they put him on zantac while he was in the NICU and that didn't help very much at all. Once I brought him home from the NICU and seen his regular pedi, he put him on prevacid which helped for about a month, not to much but a little. So the doctor told me to start putting rice cereal in his bottles. I did that all that managed to do was make him project chunks. So his doctor recently put him on 30mg of prevacid (the same amount my 42 year old mother is taking) and told me to start feeding him baby food 3 times a day on top of the cereal bottles, which has helped for the last 3 weeks but now we're back to him spitting up and puke at every other feed and sometimes more often. And then he's spitting up pure acid hours after he eats, it takes his air and he stops and at times refuses to breath during the refluxing.

The pedi says that I don't need to worry about it because LO is gaining weight. But I do worry about it because a baby shouldn't have to go through that. But sense he isn't losing weight nor is his not, not gaining weight he refuses to refer us to a GI. My insurance won't pay for us to see the GI unless it's refer by a doctor. But I really think sense the medication isn't helping for long periods of time I think there is something wrong. Should I get a second opinion from another doctor and see if they will refer us, or should I just wait until his 9 month appointment and try and make his doctor understand that there is something wrong? 

What did you momma's do? Or what would you do? I feel so bad for LO because I feel like there is nothing I can do

Re: Questions about seeing a GI?

• Options

Is there another pedi in your office you can see? I would push it if I were you. Both of my LOs have seen a GI (one for reflux, one for milk-protein allergy), and if nothing else it gave me some relief that things are okay.

My DD pukes a ton, still, but not only did we get a GI referral but she had an upper GI done to just be sure everything was structurally okay. And thankfully it is.

You are your child's advocate and you know them best. If you think there is something wrong don't take no for an answer. It's okay to be pushy:) We'll be here to back youYes

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I feel your pain. My 34 weeker has severe reflux and has had several apnea spells (the last one was so scary I called 911 and we ended up spending the night in Children's Hospital for observation). I have seen 4 different peds at the same office, and 4 or 5 different doctors at the hospital all said the same thing to me - she'll out grow it. I don't find that to be an acceptable answer since she quits breathing because of it. If you figure out a way to get a referral to a GI, please share it on this board! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We see a G.I, not for reflux but for breastmilk Colitis and dairy allergies. I do agree that the reassurance I got made me feel so much better. The G.I had the same plan as my Ped.  and that helped to see that two different doctors had the same course of treatment.

You're the Mom. I think you should trust your gut and find another doctor who will listen to your concerns and get you that referral.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"