Georgia Babies

Toddler pooping on the potty

I know this has been posted before but I can't seem to be able to search for posts on here.

Ridge is doing an awesome job with peeing on the potty.  I couldn't be more proud.  But he won't poop on the potty.  He goes in his underwear and gets really upset.  And so do I because it is SOOOO gross to clean.  I can't seem to get him interested in pooping on the potty.  We have amazing prizes galore that he picked out and wants if he poops.  We read "Where is the Poop" every night.  

Any suggestions welcomed!

Re: Toddler pooping on the potty

• no advice but, Yayy for peeing on the potty! Great job Ridge.
  • This was our biggest struggle in the beginning too.  We tried a few things - I think the biggest help was that I stopped stressing.  I was tense and grumpy (no pun intended!) about it, and Sam was picking up on my frustration.  As soon as I resigned myself to cleaning up nasty messes without a lot of drama, it started going much better.

I also started giving her an M&M when she went (not bribing her to say if you go then I'll give it, but just matter of factly saying let's get you an M&M when she did go).  We also read the book Everyone Poops, which is kind of fun.  Every once in a while I would have problems getting her to go before we left the house, so I made up a little special poo/pee eating fish that lives in the toilet and gets hungry and needs to be fed - she fell for that for a while.

He'll get it soon!  

• Loading the player...
  • Isn't potty training the most frustrating thing ever? For a long time Lauren would avoid pooping around us. She would sneak up to her room and poop on her floor. We tried to discipline her over it but that was completely unsuccessful. We ended up just kind of ignoring it and just told her where she should go. After what seeemed like a very long while (probably 3 weeks) she started going in the potty. At first, she would do it when we were out of the room. We are still having some issues with her going in her panties. She hates pulling them up and down. She loves her Thomas PJ's and she has not peed or pooped in them yet. Unfirtunately, they do not make Thomas panties which would be great for motivating her. Sorry, I probably did not help you any. My new approach to this is just patience. I never imagined it would be thus hard. We housettained our dog in less than a week - I never imagined it would take a toddler much much more time to be potty trained!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Grant was the same way...peeing was no problem, but he did NOT want to poop on the potty. I knew he pooped in the morning, so I wouldn't put anything (diaper or underwear) on him until after he went (I was lucky he didn't poop on the floor!) Poor kid tried all he could not to poop, and would cry when he was about to go. We made up a "poo poo" dance and made a big deal out of him pooping (cheering and clapping)...and we would give him a sticker (he loved stickers). Finally one day he just got up and went with no sound/help/warning...and he's been going ever since. Good luck!
    Grant Thomas 8.8.06 and Reid Alexander 8.11.08
  • john really wanted to do it in private.  he would alwayspoop in his pull ups at nap time.  i took his pull ups aways and put the potty in his room.  it took about 2 or 3 days. very messy but it worked.  we also just talked alot that big boy poop in the pot not in pants.  he still asks me for some privacy when he poops
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we are having the same issue.  jax will pee pee all day in the potty, but does not want to poop.  he has done it once.

right now we are being patient b/c he's still pretty young, but we always ask him.  we also tell him talk to him about who goes poo poo in the potty..like Elmo, Spiderman, Daddy, etc.

I also told DH that we need to take him with us when we go so we can show him where it goes.  Sounds gross, but he's very visual and seems pretty interested in it.  We'll see if it works.

He isn't afraid of flushing or anything and will pee pee in both his little potty and the big one. 

• yes, poop was the hardest part, Finn wouldn't do it for the longest time.  I think I asked the lovelies here and we went with stickers, I specifically bought some Cars stickers and showed him he could have a mater sticker for poop and he got these other lame stickers for pee.  Only thing was that first day he wanted a sticker so bad he sat on the potty for an hour trying to poop.  but anyway, eventually one day he did it, got his sticker, was beyond excited and he did a good job of going more often after that.  and then....then we had the flu... and he got to go poop on the potty about 30 times a day.  seemed to help us.  So if you can get yourself some flu he might just get it.  ;)  only kidding of course, but good luck momma, he will get it, just try not to stress about it, which I know is impossible, but try.  good luck!  and yay for pee!!!!
  • KerrinKerrin member

For us it was the prized Thomas the Train underwear.  I made a REALLY big deal about not pooping on Thomas b/c it would be so disgusting and that we would have to throw the underwear away.

Maybe take him to pick out some underwear.  make a BIG deal out of it.  I'm thinking if he's super proud of his undies, he won't want to ruin them if he thinks that they might be thrown away.

• KerrinKerrin member
    PS, i gave out M&M treats for every time they went pee or poop in the potty. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"