I've been going back and forth on this for a few days, and I thought I had made my decision (and I think I still have) but then I remembered this board, and thought I would see what you all thought since many of you have been in a similar position. I would truly appreciate any thoughts or experiences you may want to share after reading my post.
Anyways, background = with DS I had placenta previa, and at 21w with this pregnancy, I ended up in L & D for a bleeding scare where there were also placenta issues. Well, about 2 months ago, we were sent to Tufts Medical Center to check on the placenta, and they determined that it was okay this time around, but they found some fluid on the baby's kidney and said we'd check it again at 34 weeks. The dr. did ask if my Downs testing came back normal as this is both a soft marker, but also something that is pretty common in baby boys. My early testing (NT scan & bloodwork) was normal, and came back as a 1 in 1000 chance.
This past Friday was our 34 week u/s back at Tufts to check on the baby's kidney. Baby now has fluid on both his kidneys instead of just one. It's still a mild case of hydronephrosis, but enough for concern. He'll have to have an u/s when he's born to determine if he'll need surgery or not, and he'll have to be on antibiotics, etc....The dr. made it clear that it's not a severe case, but it will make the newborn days a little more stressful.
After explaining all of that, she brought up Down's. She said that it is only one soft marker, and all his other markers were fine (head, heart, nasal bone, femur was 'reassuringly long'), etc....But with the kidney issue, my risk would be more like 1 in 500 or 600 instead of the initial 1 in 1000. So, she (and my regular OB when I called her) both said that he is very likely fine, chances of Down's are still super small, but nothing can ever be ruled out 100%. For my own peace of mind, she offered me an amnio right that day. I didn't take it today because DS was with us, and he was already in meltdown mode.
So I have an appt. for Thursday. Results would be 7-10 days. My c/s is in 4 weeks from today. So, I either wait for amnio results or his birth for peace of mind. Only risk of amnio right now is about a 1 in 200 chance of preterm labor. So, I guess I'm just wondering what you would all do in this situation. I know the Down's risk is still so, so low, but I can't help but feel stuck on it. And regardless of that, the kidney issue is there no matter what.
If you were in this same exact position at 35w, with the same exact decision/choice/statistics, what would you do?