Pregnant after 35

Pregnancy and late 30s?

I thought I was done with two but I cannot stop thinking about having a third child. DD and DS are almost exactly two years apart and ideally I'd like a larger spacing between a third- more like 2.5-3 years, which would put me at 39. I'm very nervous about the risk factors- I was 36 when I had DS and we had to meet with a geneticist before our 20 week U/S who completely scared us with all the things that might go wrong in a 35+ birth (even after a great NST). So I'm nervous about going for a third at 39 or 40. Anyone have any thoughts/advice/experience to offer?
Nadia Irene 8/13/07 Reid Owen 8/18/09

Re: Pregnancy and late 30s?

• I had three after 38, one at 38,one at 41 and My Lo thats due in Sept. I will be 43 in Oct. We just have the testing done and have been blessed with healthy lil ones. As long as you are healthy I wouldn't worry so much about it. There are always chances of problems whether your young or a lil older.
  • I wouldn't worry about it either.  I have lots of friends who have had babies after 35 and all are healthy.  Ironically, the only one that has a special needs child (Downs) was 33 when he was born. 
  • Loading the player...
  • mwdmwd member
    Man if I could be guaranteed of having cute kids like yours, I'd have a lot more!   I had DS at 39, and I am 41 now.  I agree w/pp, there are risks at every age. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with all pp risk lies with evryone. Im 38 having my fourth and she is healthy! GL!!
  • LOL, 44 and doing great.  Our baby boy is strong, and seems to be perfect!  I'm tired, though :).  Sure...they want to test and test, but you can choose the level of testing and accelerate based on any results...and you may have to wear a Tee shirt afterward saying "no, its not my Grandchild!"  but I think its worth it!  Good luck!
  • Some people consider testing as a bad thing.  I see it as something we are getting treated to that others cannot get without paying out of pocket.  Extra sonograms anyone??     My wife and I do not have to worry about missing out on going out to the clubs to take care of our kid(s), been there, done that, now for the next stage of our lives.  It just took us a little longer to get there than some.  Also we have learned alot of lifes lessons before starting a family that hopefully we can pass down as well as use while we are raising our kids.
  • I had my son who is now healthy and 7 months old at 39. Even though I had great numbers I went for the amnio for peace of mind because of my age. I found a Dr. I felt really comfortable with who performed the amnio. I did not know CVS was an option ( was not as educated as I am now). DH and I will try TTC this summer for number two since I will be 40 in October. I will get NT results and depending on those numbers and  a talk with my Dr. will depend on if I get a CVS.

It is ironic though, the woman who referred to me to my present Dr. told me a story how her friend had a Down's Child when she was in her mid twenties. True - things can happen at any age. You just need to be more aware as you get older. Not to say I will not be concerned when I get pg again, just a little more at ease knowing I have a Dr. I am more comfortable with and I know what to expect.

• Also, if you and DH really want another then go for it!
  • I had my first at 20, second at 37.5 and this one will be born around my 41 b-day. The difference between my 2d and 3d will be 3.5 years. We just weren't ready to try for another one before the 2d one turned 2. I don't think the risk is much more significant if you are 40 as compared to 37. 40 and 20 - yes, but not 40 and 37. From my own experience, this preg. resembles more my 1st one at 20 in terms of how I am feeling. It is not a scientific explanation, but maybe because the babies are the same sex?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I say go for it!!!  YOu will not regret if you have a baby but might if not.

My feeling anyway.

• We just didn't feel ready until recently, but I had no qualms about starting at 36.  We had the amnio and everything is great so far.  It has been a pretty easy pregnancy for me, actually.  If all goes well, we'd love to have another fairly soon after this little guy.
    Son #1 is already 2! Not too much longer until Son No.2 arrives! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imagedad2be:
    Some people consider testing as a bad thing.  I see it as something we are getting treated to that others cannot get without paying out of pocket.  Extra sonograms anyone??     My wife and I do not have to worry about missing out on going out to the clubs to take care of our kid(s), been there, done that, now for the next stage of our lives.  It just took us a little longer to get there than some.

THIS! Great answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"