Are you trying for a VBAC next time?
What are your deciding factors?
I don't think I will try. I want to but I am scared.
I am scared if I try for a VBAC and end up with a csection anyway, that I will have to be put to sleep for it (like last time, because I could feel them cutting me). I think I will be more comfortable with a scheduled csection. DH is much more on board with this too, because our experience was pretty traumatizing.
I had a LEEP done probably 5-6 years ago for abnormal paps. I went to my yearly ob appt last week, with a new doc (I switched to be closer to home). I saw a midwife, and we were talking about VBAC for the future. She said the LEEP is the reason I wouldn't dialate past 5cm, and it was likely to happen again. She recommended a scheduled c-section next time around.
I'm kinda torn on the subject. It would be much easier logistics-wise to have another c-section. Our parents don't live close so they would both need to travel some to get here. Planning the birthday would make things much easier.
However. I might consider a VBAC because my recovery was pretty tough and I will have to take care of Keira as well.
My current plan is to schedule a c-section for my due date. If I go into labor earlier, great, we will try it. (I went 42 weeks before induced) If not, then c-section it is. I will not be induced again - pitocin is the devil.
However, if my OB feels it is safest to just go with a c-section, that is what we will do.
I'm on the fence. However, I don't think my current OB-Gyn does them, so my decision might be made for me, assuming I stay with them (which I plan to).
I kind of feel that since I was almost 2 weeks overdue, then still had to be induced, then still never progressed past 4 cm, I would likely end up with another c/s anyway. Plus, there is something attractive about being able to plan more (with another child to care for, that could be nice), with a scheduled c/s. My c/s recovery was a breeze, so that's good too.
MrsHughesNC:I'm on the fence. However, I don't think my current OB-Gyn does them, so my decision might be made for me, assuming I stay with them (which I plan to). I kind of feel that since I was almost 2 weeks overdue, then still had to be induced, then still never progressed past 4 cm, I would likely end up with another c/s anyway. Plus, there is something attractive about being able to plan more (with another child to care for, that could be nice), with a scheduled c/s. My c/s recovery was a breeze, so that's good too.
After laboring all day and pushing for almost 3 hours with Camryn, I would have loved to experience pushing my baby out. But it just didn't happen. She wasn't in the right position and my Dr. said my pelvis has a weird shape to it. After talking with her again early in my pregnancy we both decided it was very likely to happen again and decided on a scheduled c-section.
Mine was scheduled for 39 weeks exactly. It was so nice knowing when it was planned, although I was paranoid that I would go into labor sooner.
In the end I was very happy with my decision because Caylee was a full pound bigger than Camryn (8.5 lbs) and was born 11 days earlier than Camryn. She may have been 9 lbs if I had waited to go into labor and try for a VBAC.
The recovery with the planned c-section for me was a lot better. I was feeling pretty good after about 1 week, as opposed to 3 or so with Camryn.
I discussed this with my doctor at my 6 week pp checkup. She said that she didn't see any issues with me having a VBAC, but if and when the time comes, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I'd love to, since I had hoped to deliver Wesley vaginally and didn't get the opportunity, but at the same time, the c-section recovery wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. Plus, knowing when your kid will be born (barring unforseen circumstances) is always nice...
I sort of doubt I will try for VBAC. DS has little movement and scored really low on his Bio Physical Profile u/s and they suspect my placenta was giving out. I'm pretty sure my dr. will want to schedule a c-section prior to my due date for any future children.
My recovery has been pretty good, so I'm not opposed to it, but I do feel slightly cheated that I will more than likely never experience a true contraction or the feeling of holding my baby within minutes of being born and nursing right away.
I had a similar experience as some of you did (I didn't respond to the other poll yet). I was induced at 41 wks 2 days, took Pitocin for 10-11 hours, I had dialated to 5 cm., had an epi after they broke my water, and was getting very sick from all the drugs. My OB said I could continue to labor and see if I progressed, or just go for the c/s. I opted for the c/s because I kept throwing up and I didn't want to keep getting sick for who knows how many more hours and then try to push.
I am torn on the VBAC issue. I definitely feel like I was robbed of a good birth experience and that was my feelings on induction from the start. They estimated DD would be a pretty big baby for my frame, and that was about right --she was 8 lbs 10 oz. Obvs. you cannot stay pregnant forever, sometimes you just have to go the induction route!
Anywho.....even though the process was a bit traumatic, I ended up having a pretty decent recovery from the c/s. Looking back on it, I am unhappy that I didn't get to hold DD for about 90 mins. after she was born....however, I nursed her shortly after that so I guess I nursed her @ 2 hours after she was born, which pleases me and we went on to have a great nursing relationship!
We will have to see how everything goes next time (maybe!) .... and what my OB says about the possibility of a VBAC.