Health & Exercise

Riding a bike during pregnancy

I've heard different things through google, etc. as to how safe it is.  Do you ride?  Did you ride before pregnancy?  I used to ride a lot and now I really miss it.  I don't however, want to do anything that would put lo at risk.  What's your take on riding?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Riding a bike during pregnancy

• I didn't ride when I was pg, but my OB did tell me it would be just fine! I just didn't ride bc I didn't have a bike!!!
  • I took a spinning class until 30 weeks and did just fine. I do realize, however, that those bikes provide a bit more stability than a street bike so I am not sure how long I would have been able to handle that. HTH!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am an avid cyclist/triathlete so I ride a lot.  However, I will not ride outside while pregnant.  There are just too many crazy drivers out there and I wouldn't want to risk a crash and harming LO.  If I do ride right now, it's indoors on the trainer.  There will be time to ride and get back my cycling fitness after LO arrives.  I'll stick to swimming, running and walking for now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Personally, I would not ride a bike outside. frankly because I am a klutz and will probally fall.

they say not to because the risk of falling.

I would say a stationary bike or taking a spin class is the way to go.

Suzanne & Pasquale 9/9/07
    Our Journey in Blog.
    My Blog
    Our Sweet boy Luca Salvatore 10/6/10 & Our precious daughter, Arianna Regina 4/9/13
  • I took spin classes through second tri, then stopped because the gym was too hot.  I am a triathlete and would have loved to have ridden outside on  regular bike, but I didn't want to take the chance of getting into an accident, getting clipped by a car, etc.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wish I could have ridden my bike during this pregnancy but I've gotten way too clumsy to do it without scaring myself. If I fell, I would feel super guilty. I would gladly ride a stationary bike, though.
  • I spun until the bitter end but there was just no way I would have risked a big fall during pregnancy. I ran before my first DS, I really haven't gotten back into it and mostly run now. I do ride my bike in the winter...on the trainer.
  • The big concern for outdoor riding is falling off your bike from lack of balance.

As far as indoor Spin classes- if you are use to it then keep it up!! I am still teaching Spin classes and most likely will do so until I go into labor. With my son I taught right up until the end. I taught a class and that night I started going into labor :) He was 2 weeks early but I had planned on teaching all the way. I feel GREAT and still get an awesome workout and loving it!!! :) It's all what your body is use to

• imageSue&Pasquale:

Personally, I would not ride a bike outside. frankly because I am a klutz and will probally fall.

This. Exactly this. My clumsiness is so well documented that my husband even worries when I wear heels now. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"