Working Moms

Need book recommendations...

I need recommendations on books about being a working mom.  I do not work because I want to, which I know is not the norm.  I am having a hard time.  It's gotten harder, not easier.  I've been back at work since dd was 7 weeks.  Most books are either geared towards moms who enjoy working, or moms who feel guilty about working.  Are there books for moms who work that don't want to?  I just need guidance and some tips for how to make things....happier, I guess.  Any good books on this?  I don't really have anyone to vent to, as my friends are all either working part-time, not at all, or are actually happy working. 

Re: Need book recommendations...

• hi! i've never posted on this board before but I feel like you read my mind today.  My son will be 17 months next week.  I've been back at work since he was 4 months.  With each week that passes I'm more miserable.  I can't stand leaving him in the morning especially since I loathe my job.  I feel trapped here as well because I make good money, have good hours, not alot of stress, and most importantly, I'm 10 minutes from my house and from the house my son stays at during the day.  I can leave in a moments notice and be to him very quickly if I need to which is really hard to come by sometimes.  Since I've started back, work just isn't a priority to me anymore.  I'm miserable all day long.  I am fine when I leave and I don't take my anger home, but getting through my days is really tough.

Venting to people doesn't make me feel an ounce better so I was wondering if there's a way to put a positive spin on this.  If I could just work part-time I'd be better.  Or even summer hours would help...considering I work for a Speciality Hot Tea Company you'd think we'd get summer hours...but we don't...anyways...

I wish I had more encouraging words for you...however, I'm in need myself.  At least you know your not alone.

• Hi!  It's so hard.  I can't vent to anyone, because they either don't have to work, or want to work.  My SIL makes me feel lazy, even though she only has to work 3 days a week.  I'm good at my job, but I would be sooooo much happier at home.  It's hard to do housework when I'm trying to cram all of my time into Nora's awake time, since I only see her 3 hours a day:(

I don't have to need to prove myself outside of the home, or the need to have a job to have an identity.  I'd be perfectly happy only being known as 'Nora's mom'.  But, we need my insurance and contribution to the mortgage.  We chose to live where we did because it's safe, schools are great, and it's a good place to raise a family.  It's expensive though, and I can't quit.  I'm guilty, but I also feel sorry for myself.  I'd rather be at the pool or park with DD than at the office. 

Oh well.  Thanks for letting me vent!  Glad I'm not alone...

• Loading the player...
  • It's not directly related and I haven't read it yet, but one of my friends recommended the Happiness Project.  https://www.happiness-project.com/
  • I am kind of in this boat but I know I have made a choice.  I could live with a lot fewer luxuries (by which I mean cable, internet, vacations, and a healthy retirement account).  I choose to work a modestly stressful job with some night/weekend work instead of staying at home with my DD.  But I think being home full time once she goes to school would not be good for me, so I'm toughing it out to be sure I have a job then.  I'm also looking for a part-time job to move to, but until I find that I choose to be here instead of at home.  I hate it some days, but it is my choice.
  • Try "Just Let Me Lie Down... Necessary Terms for the Half Insane Working Mom." It's humorous, but still helpful.  I just read it and did a review of it for my blog.  I HIGHLY recommend it! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"