Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

questioning my doc?

i'm 24 had 3 m/c and now finally got blood work done to find out whats going on?the doc said results come back in about 2-3 weeks omg im counting down the seconds. im just at a point where i want to understand. did  any1 else have to wait after 3 losses to take blood work? cause after the first i wanted to see what was going on.but my doc said these things just happen.any one out their can relate?

Re: questioning my doc?

• I think that every doctor definetely has different opinions when it comes to pregnancy loss.  Some are agressive and some are not.  I had a stillbirth at 35 weeks and got no answer except that they thought it might have been due to how the cord was attached to the placenta.  They said that in most cases with the cord attached the way my son's was babies are born healthy...they weren't sure why mine was not.  I went on to deliver a healthy baby 19 months later.  then 3 years after that I had a misscarriage.  They again said that there was nothing they found by examining the fetus.  They never suggested doing anything else.

I changed OB's because we moved and with this pg, my new OB suggested getting a Lupus screening to see if this was the cause of my miscarriage.  Why did my pevious OB never suggest this?  Who knows what the thinking was there...but I think it is just the different opinions of different doctors.

If you are questioning the care you are getting, then you should talk to another OB and consider changing. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got the repeat pregnancy loss testing after we lost Aidan. My dr said that if it would have been an early loss then I would have to wait for 3 losses.  The thought is 1st is a fluke 2nd is bad luck and 3rd is to start looking for answers.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • My doc let me get some bloodwork done after 2 losses but unfortunately I did not get any answers.  After my 3rd loss I started seeing an RE and exploring other options on my own.  After my 4th loss it was nearly an obsession.

Do not be afraid to go talk to another doctor if you don't agree with what your doctor is telling you.  If you are just working with an OB, remember the OB's job is to take care of you once you ARE pregnant, if you are having trouble staying pregnant you probably want to consult with an RE who's job and expertise lies around getting you successfully pregnant.  And not all REs are created equal...hopefully your test results will bring you some answers, but if the initial panel doesn't, there are more tests to be run, but you will probably have to start hunting down answers for yourself.  

Its incredibly frustrating sometimes, but I realized that no doctor cares as much about keeping me pregnant as I do....a lot of times I have had to bring them information.  And if they have not been familiar or willing to do what I was asking about I have found doctors who are.

The most frustrating thing I have heard is "it wasn't time" or "these things just happen."  That may be true, but until I have ruled out everything medically then I continue to believe that there is a cause for my losses and ultimately a treatment.

I'm so sorry for your losses, its so difficult.  I really hope you find some easy answers in your lab results, but if not, keep digging.

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• I just had my 3rd loss as well. Like the pp said, 3 losses is pretty standard for starting testing.  Sometimes they will test the fetus, or tissue you pass before the 3rd loss, if you are able to bring it in to be tested. But as far as testing you for problems, this is normal.  I hope you are able to find some answers soon, I know waiting for the results is torture.  I'm right there with you- I had my blood drawn yesterday.
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"