Natural Birth
Options

Need to vent

So my sister is due not long after me, with her first.  She is the type of person who just doesn't like to do any research on anything - she is too lazy.  So she has decided to use my birth center, I think simply because it's a known quantity.  She doesn't want a homebirth because she doesn't want to associate her home with "bad" feelings.  I don't understand that, but, whatever.  So she's going to go to the birth center.  Which requires a bit of preparation - you have to buy supplies, pack a bag, and pack food for yourself and the whole birth team.  They specify that you need to provide healthy food, which makes sense.  Well, she has decided that they're just going to go through the drivethru on the way there and bring whatever junk is available on the way because she "doesn't have the energy" to even cook for herself. This attitude is indicative of how she is treating just about everything related to the pregnancy.

I am so irritated.  Although I think natural birth is the best option in almost all cases, I actually told her that if she is not interested in doing any preparation, she should just transfer to an OB and go to a hospital.  I really wonder how things are going to turn out for them.  Not to mention, man, will the birth team be pissed if she shows up at her labor with Big Macs ... 

Re: Need to vent

• Options

yeah. gross. I would be pissed if someone showed up to my work place with a bag full of the stinkiest food possible. (Sorry, but I HATE fast food!) I'm early enough in my pregnancy that I can barely eat anything, and just the smell of fast food grease makes me retch. Why would you want that smell mingling with all the sweat, blood, and natural body smells of childbirth?

But the image of a laboring woman ordering food at a fast food window cracks me up. I can only imagine what the guy working the window would be thinking!

• Options
    Aloe0lAloe0l member
    I can't imagine a big mac sounding good while in labor.  I'd just want to puke it up all over the place (which, she may very well end up doing since it's so high in fat!)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Not to mention, man, will the birth team be pissed if she shows up at her labor with Big Macs ...

this made me giggle!

you can only lead a horse to water...

i, too, think that if you aren't going to prepare, and have such an attitude, that an OB and a hospital and an epi are what you need. but hey, we all learn our lessons in life, right? and unfortunately, when people make stupid decisions, we can't bop them on the head.

my own sister is similar in regards to ttc. she refuses to educate herself on how it happens and after 10 months of ill-timed sex, is still not pregnant and freaking out about it. but, she won't chart, she doesn't know when she ovulates, has no idea how to predict her (very regular) AF. but wants to call me and ask when she's ovulating. uh, yeah, can't help you if you can't help yourself. after a nasty fight about it resulting in us not speaking my entire 1st trimester (i think partly b/c she was angry that i was pg and she wasn't), we just agreed to not talk about it anymore. she is healthy and does see the merits in taking care of herself and her baby once she does get pregnant, so i'm not worried about that. but she is intellectually lazy and would prefer to just ask me rather than read a book for herself. gah. drives me bonkers sometimes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemh2t:

I actually told her that if she is not interested in doing any preparation, she should just transfer to an OB and go to a hospital.  I really wonder how things are going to turn out for them. 

I'm cringing at the thought of how she will actually handle labor, I really hope it turns out great for her, but it seems she's really naive and it may hit her like a ton of bricks. Aaaaaand if I were a MW and a mama showed up with nothing but fast food for me to eat, I'd be pissed, that's pretty funny though:)

252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • Options
    imageLindseyJW:

Not to mention, man, will the birth team be pissed if she shows up at her labor with Big Macs ...

this made me giggle!

you can only lead a horse to water...

i, too, think that if you aren't going to prepare, and have such an attitude, that an OB and a hospital and an epi are what you need. but hey, we all learn our lessons in life, right? and unfortunately, when people make stupid decisions, we can't bop them on the head.

my own sister is similar in regards to ttc. she refuses to educate herself on how it happens and after 10 months of ill-timed sex, is still not pregnant and freaking out about it. but, she won't chart, she doesn't know when she ovulates, has no idea how to predict her (very regular) AF. but wants to call me and ask when she's ovulating. uh, yeah, can't help you if you can't help yourself. after a nasty fight about it resulting in us not speaking my entire 1st trimester (i think partly b/c she was angry that i was pg and she wasn't), we just agreed to not talk about it anymore. she is healthy and does see the merits in taking care of herself and her baby once she does get pregnant, so i'm not worried about that. but she is intellectually lazy and would prefer to just ask me rather than read a book for herself. gah. drives me bonkers sometimes.

I know someone like this too and it drives me bonkers.  She says it's "ALL she wants in life" but doesn't take the time or energy to research it?  Come on... you must not want it that bad!  Gah.  

Lilypie - (YBLf)

Lilypie - (Cfah)
    image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"">
  • Options

This thread was awesome!  

Not that she's asking for ideas of what to bring to the center but wouldn't it be much easier to pick up some fruit and veggie plates at the grocery store?   

Our midwife is vegan and luckily so is my partner who loves to cook-thankfully.  I'm hoping she'll make some mildly smelling dishes.  she wants to make the baby a birthday cake.

• Options

You know, if your sister doesn't have the energy to prepare food and pack a bag for her time at the birth center, perhaps her partner could do these things.

Really, her only job is to show up and have the baby.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"