Natural Birth
Options

Calling all "crunchy" moms... a ?

I have my first interview appointment with a peds nurse practitioner for LO tomorrow. I think that I have my alternative shot schedule laid out, but what else do I need to be prepared to ask about? Were there things that came up later in your LO's life, that you and your provider did not see eye-to-eye on? Have you had to change providers for LO, and if so, why?

We are EBF-ing, CD-ing, Baby-wearing, BLW kind of people, (oh and like to avoid antibiotics too) and I really want to find someone that will work with us, rather than someone I have to fight/avoid. I plan to make several other appointments (with family practitioners) if I do not get a good vibe from her tomorrow.

Even if you just have some links or books I should check out. that would be more than appreciated.  TIA!!!

Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos

Re: Calling all "crunchy" moms... a ?

• Options

I would ask about how they treat jaundiced babies.  That was one GREAT thing about our pedi - they arranged for a BiliBlanket to be delivered to our home rather than admitting us to a hospital.  It's not something you'll definitely deal with, but it might give you more insight into the type of care you'll receive.

• Options
    imageFun2Dream:

I would ask about how they treat jaundiced babies.  That was one GREAT thing about our pedi - they arranged for a BiliBlanket to be delivered to our home rather than admitting us to a hospital.  It's not something you'll definitely deal with, but it might give you more insight into the type of care you'll receive.

Great idea! Thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When did the Home Birth Moms take LO to see their practitioner? 1 week was what I was thinking...
  • Options

do they give advice over the phone or do they want you to come in for every little sniffle?

what is their philosophy on common developmental issues?

what are their feelings about table food and schedules for introducing solids (we wanted to EBF as long as possible and got a lot of push back from some of the staff at our pedi, but still went 7 months before introducing any type of solid)?

what about medical problems? do they go straight for the big guns or do they try smaller interventions first? for example, around 14 months, my son had a nose bleed at daycare. daycare wanted me to take him to the pedi right away. i, stupidly, assumed that something must be wrong with a baby having a nose bleed, so i took him to the pedi, who immediately gave us a referral for a ENT. the ENT went straight from examining his nose (which had long ago stopped bleeding) to preparing to carterize his nasal passages. at this point, i started asking questions (way late, i know) and the dr. thought i was nuts for having brought him in and then refusing the carterization. i couldn't understand why they would go to such extremes for what seemed to me a very minor incident. who hasn't had a nose bleed in their life? as a new mom, and having been sent to the pedi by our daycare, i assumed that something must be wrong with the baby having a nose bleed. but no, i just have an alarmist DCP and an extremist pedi.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ear infections: does your chosen pediatrician automatically push for antibiotics in a situation like this?

There is a study and several other interesting articles on this site (link below) which talk about a preventative/more holistic type of pediatrics. This study shows how antibiotics are not necessary for ear infections:

HPA Alliance for Holistic Family Health and Wellness

They also have tons of videos and a radio show you can listen to online.

Also, make sure they are on the same page with you when it comes to AP issues like the ones you mentioned before. EBF, BW, perhaps co-sleeping or bed-sharing if you plan to do that as well, late introduction of solids, etc...

As a pp mentioned above, ask if they would take consults over the phone for minor issues such as a nose bleed or do they want to jump and intervene for every single little thing.

To answer your last question, our Pedi asks that we make an appt with him no later than a week after the birth of the baby as long as there were no major complications during the birth. We also see a Pediatric Chiropractor and we will take LO a week or so after the birth for a checkup/adjustment with them.

• Options
    imageyeshuahamasshiah:

Also, make sure they are on the same page with you when it comes to AP issues like the ones you mentioned before. EBF, BW, perhaps co-sleeping or bed-sharing if you plan to do that as well, late introduction of solids, etc...

Lurker here --

I think this is the most important aspect.  If they support your parenting style, everything else will be fine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We were actually able to find a pediatrician who does home visits!  You may want to look into that.  Our midwife provided us with a list.  Perhaps your midwife would know who does home visits.  I hate the idea of taking my newborn, especially, to a germy office!

(We've found that the home visit pediatricians are totally "crunchy" friendly - like us. :-)  )

• Options
    imaged.squaredII:

We were actually able to find a pediatrician who does home visits!  You may want to look into that.  Our midwife provided us with a list.  Perhaps your midwife would know who does home visits.  I hate the idea of taking my newborn, especially, to a germy office!

(We've found that the home visit pediatricians are totally "crunchy" friendly - like us. :-)  )

I LOVE this idea!!! But, any thoughts on how to find one on your own... I don't have midwife, so I've been searching on my own...

• Options
    imagemghnmouse:

I LOVE this idea!!! But, any thoughts on how to find one on your own... I don't have midwife, so I've been searching on my own...

How are you doing a homebirth without a midwife?

• Options
    imageToledoDeux:
    imagemghnmouse:

UC

• Options
    imageyeshuahamasshiah:
    imageToledoDeux:
    imagemghnmouse:

UC

Uh-huh.

• Options
    imageJenice32:
    imageyeshuahamasshiah:

Lurker here --

I think this is the most important aspect.  If they support your parenting style, everything else will be fine.

agree with this to a point.  I have a *fantastic* holistic pedi, but she rec'd that we Ferber my DD at 2 months old.  Had I asked her opinions on sleep training before I knew her, then I would be turned off by this and possibly not gotten her as a pedi.

There are parenting decisions that your pedi needs to know nothing about - sleep training, BWing, co-sleeping.  These are not medical decisions.  BFing and introduction of solids is something I would ask about.

I would discuss: views on medicine v. homeopathic alternatives?  Views on delayed vaccines?  Are the vaccines they use thimerosol-free?  What are preventative methods that she will recommend (probiotics, etc).  At what point does she rec meds for fevers (mine prefers no meds and let the fever do its work)?

How long does she talk with you at appointments? Will you see her everytime or be rotated around?  What are her views on pediatric chiropractors (or other "alternative" practices)?  Do they line up with yours?

When you call off hours - who picks up the phone?  Do they have a sick room and a healthy room?

• Options

I think you've already gotten some really good advice, but here's my two cents too...

I wanted a family doctor who was open-minded, who would work with us and respect our opinion, who wouldn't push vaccines,  and who was very breastfeeding supportive, but I was okay with us not being on the same page with every single parenting issue.  For example, I have no intention of ever letting our babies CIO and so I just never asked for sleep advice.  (But if I'd thought DD's night waking was reflux/health related, obviously I would have.)  And our doctor sees me and DH too, so I love that she'll know our whole family!  And she spends a lot of time with us too. 

And regarding the "when to see a pedi when you're having a HB" question, DD has her 18-month appointment in August and I plan on asking about this, so I'll let you all know what she says.  :)

• Options
    imagemghnmouse:
    imaged.squaredII:

My pediatrician actually comes up if I just google "Berkeley Pediatrician Home Visit."  Maybe that will work for your area too!  GL!  At least around here, it seems like home visits have become all the rage - even with family doctors! 

• Options
    imagemghnmouse:
    imaged.squaredII:

Check out the local forums on Mothering.com.  That is how I found ours.  He saw us two days after DD was born.  He does home visits but we ended up going to his office anyway.

• Options
    CTri17CTri17 member
    Usually home birth moms go on day 2 or 3
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    imageToledoDeux:
    imagemghnmouse:

I am going to have a UC, in the water at my home. 

ETA: And thank you everyone, for your insights and suggestions! I feel much better in my approach to the entire process Big Smile

• Options

Hey ladies!  I was just snooping on this board, and thought I would throw my 2 cents in....if it is worth that much.  I'm not sure where you live, but you could look up a naturopathic doctor.  I know that most of them won't have the typical western medicine's office, but you could ask them for a referral to a doctor.

My FIL is a chiropractor/naturopathic doctor, and he referred us to a doctor for the pregnancy.  Our doctor has been so open to anything we give as a suggestion.  She works with my FIL a lot, and is a very open minded doctor.  We have put her in situations that were not her norm, but she has done the best she can for us, and if she can't help us, she just sends up right back to my FIL.  Unfortunately, we are getting ready to move cross country before we deliver, and I hope we can find a doctor as good as the one we are leaving behind.  She is the doctor to my SIL's 4 month old son, and I know they are delaying vaccines.

Good luck, and sorry for the long message! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~Big Sister (3) and Big Brother (5)~

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"