Health & Exercise

Back Surgery and Labor/Birth

Hi Everyone!  I was wondering if anyone else out there has had a lower back surgery prior to becoming pregnant and giving a natural (non-C-Section) birth.  I had lower back surgery about 13 years ago (I was 17).  I have had "lapses" in the past with back issues, but now do pilates 2-3 times and week and am training for my first 1/2 marathon.  I am curious as to how most doctors would advise me on labor and birth- automatic C-Section, natural birth wtih no epidural...???  If any of you have experienced this, I would appreciate you letting me know how you and your doctor handled it.

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Back Surgery and Labor/Birth

• I had an L4-L5 fusion in July of 2009 and I'm now pregnant and due in Nov. My back dr. and my OB have both said that it should not be an issue at all.  I can even still have an epidural if I want to, they might just have to put it in a little higher than they normally would.  This was one of my main concerns before having the surgery last year, and my dr. assured me that the surgery should have no effect on my pregnancy or delivery options.

• I had a little different experience than PP.  I had spinal fusion as a kid and noone of course ever mentioned anything about pregnancy.  It was not a complication whatsoever for me to have a vaginal birth but I was unable to have an epidural.  Luckily I found out that it would be unlikely before the big day so I wasn't taken off guard.  But basically, once you've had back surgery, the epidural space, where they place the medicine can be obscured by scar tissue.  If they can't get to that space, either the epidural won't work or it could end up giving you a permanent spinal headache.  So I did have a natural vaginal delivery, but no epi.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it.  The doctors did mention possible bed rest if my back couldn't take the extra pregnancy weight (it would have to be bed rest in a rubber room, I think I would go nuts! :) but I am hoping the pilates has really helped to strengthen all of my abdominal/lower back muscles and I will be able handle it. Thanks again!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"