Infertility

Any WI people out there??

My hubby and I are thinking about switching clinics and we're really struggling with the decision.  We have been working with Dr. Robb at Froedtert and haven't had success with IUIs.  We would really like to move to IVF however I'm not sure if I want to stay at Froedtert to do it.  I have had a lot of issues with their billing department and its been really frustrating.  We have a consult appointment with Dr. Sherbahn at the Advanced Fertility Center in IL in July.  I'm just wondering if anyone had any opinions or experiences with Froedtert or the Advanced Fertility Center.  Froedtert's success rates aren't as good as AFC's.  We really don't know what to do.   

*My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13

Re: Any WI people out there??

• I go to Advance Fertility, but see Dr. Deutch out of the Crystal Lake office.  They do all their procedures from the Gurnee office though.  It is a very nice facility.

I was previously at a different clinic and have been super impressed with the attention and caring nature of everyone I've dealt with at Advanced.  I would definiely recommend them.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image Eloise & Grant born 7/3/11
  • I am in Madison so I would probably not be much help, but I do love my clinic if you ever do want to make that commute Stick out tongue
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Mamabear - are you using their shared risk program at all?  That is very appealing to us since our insurance only covers diagnostic things and no treatments.  If you are, are there any hidden fees or are they pretty straight forward with everything? 

• mieslmiesl member

If you aren't happy with your current clinic and the rates are lower -  that seems like a good time to get a second opinion and potentially switch clinics.

I'm in MN - so not so close by (I checked in case you were in western WI).

Husband has cystic fibrosis. I'm a carrier. We did TESE, IVF, ICSI, and PGD. After two failed IVFs, we were blessed with our twins.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm going to Advanced Fert for an IVF consult in July as well.  You will be hard pressed to find a clinic around here with better success rates (if you do, let me know ;) )  I can speak from experience that if you are not happy, you should switch, or at least get another opinion, it can't hurt.  I have only spoken to them on the phone, but for all the clinics I've dealt with they were by far the nicest and most organized.  GL!
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageSaraevh:
    Mamabear - are you using their shared risk program at all?  That is very appealing to us since our insurance only covers diagnostic things and no treatments.  If you are, are there any hidden fees or are they pretty straight forward with everything? 

We are not 'shared risk' material as I'm DOR and that automatically disqualifies us from the program.

GL with your decision, I'd definitely say is you have any doubts you should meet with some other doctors. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image Eloise & Grant born 7/3/11
  • I did two IUIs with Drs. Strawn and Robb at Froedtert before switching to Dr. Sherbahn and Advanced Fertility.  I have issues of my own but my husband has 0% morph so it sounds like that is something you guys are dealing with as well.  We had success with our first IVF there.  I just got the impression that Dr. Sherbahn understood our issues better and had a better facility.

At the time we had insurance and wouldn't have qualified for the shared risk anyway given my age but I do know that you should discuss your options with Dr. Sherbahn.  There was another woman who used to be on the boards and who got pregnant with twins who apparently didn't technically qualify for the shared risk program but she made some sort of financial deal with Dr. Sherbahn anyway.  So, there may be some wiggle room if you're completely out of pocket.

The drive really isn't all that bad either, although I know there is a bunch of construction now by Kenosha but so it may a bit more of a drive than when I was going there.

Anyway, we have a frozen embryo there and plan on doing a FET there sometime in the future.  I have a friend who got pregnant from a FET at Froedtert but honestly, I will never go back there for anything.  Dr. Strawn and I just didn't get along at all!

If you have any more questions just let me know.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• imageerinandbrockv:
    I am in Madison so I would probably not be much help, but I do love my clinic if you ever do want to make that commute Stick out tongue

What clinic do you go to in Madison?

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• itsmevkb I would love to hear more about your experiences at Froederdt and AFC.  I like Dr. Robb and the nursing staff so far (I only had one ultrasound with Strawn so I don't have much of an opinion about him) but I can't help but look at the success rates at AFC.  My husband and I really liked Froederdt's urologist a lot.  My cousin and his wife have two beautiful babies from Froederdt and one of my friends is currently in the process of doing IVF with them and she has nothing but great things to say, but I think I'm leaning towards making the switch to Dr. Sherbahn.  Any idea how he feels about heading straight to IVF with new patients?  We talked to Aurora doctors before we went to Froderdt and they told us our only option was IVF due to our significant male factor.  Then when we went to Froderdt they told us we wouldn't need to do IVF and that IUI would work for us.  I just don't know what to think anymore!  Whose right?!  I really don't want to do another IUI and just want to move on to IVF before I fill up with endometriosis again.  Just curious as to how Dr. Sherbahn would respond to that?  If you think he would just suggest doing more IUIs then I'm not sure if it's worth time.  I'm willing to drive the distance if it means a higher chance for success.  The construction is a bit of a pain, but I'd do it.       

• imageitsmevkb:

..., I will never go back there for anything.  Dr. Strawn and I just didn't get along at all!....

PREACH ON SISTER!

I just saw him this morning and it's so annoying EVERY TIME. Not only is EVERY appointment I have ever made AT LEAST 30 minutes late (first one was over and HOUR) but I feel like he doesn't really give a sh#t what the results for me are.  BAH!

I'm interested in Advanced fert clinic as well. Please, please, please keep me posted as to what your apt. there is like! :)  I am on IUI#3. . hopefully, I won;t have to do anything after, but just in case. . . 

My Story and Blog:
    The Conception Craze

1/2009- TTTC
    After 7 rounds of clomid and HcG, Three failed IUI's with an ectopic pregnancy, two shots of methotrextate, ER visits, breaks, low (3%) morphology One IVF cycle (lupron, gonal-F) that ended in another ectopic, more methotrexate, A Lap to disconnect both tubes, remove endo and a hydrosalphinx, . . .we are finally expecting TWINS from FET#1!
    1.11. 2011: Beginning FET cycle!
    3.11.11- FET! (DH's birthday!) 2 blasts transfered!
    3.20.11- BETA #1 BFP!!! 272! (9dp5dt)
    3.23.11- BETA #2 1346!!! (12dp5dt)
    4.8.11- U/S #1. . TWINS!!! . . .TWO BOYS!
    9.10.11-My beautiful Boys arrive unexpectedly at 28 weeks, 6 days. imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image

• I will definitely keep you posted!  I'm sorry you are having a bad experience!  This is all so frustrating and it doesn't help when you don't feel like you're being properly taken care of.  My biggest beef (so far) is with their billing department charging me for things I never had done and not submitting any diagnostic stuff to my insurance.  I feel like I talk to that woman on a daily basis b/c she keeps messing my stuff up!  Now I'm fired up again ;);)  My mind is made up, I'm switching.  HA.    

• Dr. Sherbahn is all about IVF and although I know he does do IUIs I honestly think he discourages them as most of his patients have already been down that road.  He didn't bat an eyelash at us pursuing IVF and, in fact, gave us a chart with percentages telling us why IVF was the way to go.  No matter what, even if you are perfectly fertile, IVF will always give you the highest chance for success.

My husband and I had a consult with him and although he isn't the warmest person out there he is very informed and gave us a ton of information, told us our options and then told us the protocol he'd most likely use for me if we decided to go ahead with the IVF.  Before doing the IVF he wanted to do a hysteroscopy to make sure my uterus was normal and I think he retested my fsh and a few other things.  When he did the hysteroscopy he also did a mock transfer.  After that I started birth control pills and then did the IVF.

I did like Dr. Robb far more than Dr. Strawn but unfortunately for me, Dr. Strawn did most of my procedures and was the one making the decisions for my treatment.  My husband also saw their urologist but they couldn't determine any reason for his horrible morph.

I know it's hard to decide to switch.  I felt sort of crazy for wanting to switch but I just didn't want to look back with regret and my decision was made easier because I reached a point where I didn't trust Dr. Strawn anymore.  Dr. Sherbahn does have a higher rate of success and when you're spending that kind of money that is important.  I think it's definitely worth your time to go and have a consultation.  Meeting him in person will definitely give you a better gut feeling as to if you should switch or not.

I do remember Dr. Sherbahn telling us that he sees a lot of former Froedtert patients.

Let me know if you need any more info!

This Cluttered Life

• Do they usually put you on bc for a month before they do anything?  The only reason why I'm wondering is because when I see him on the 19th I will be in the middle of my cycle and I'd like to get moving on this asap if possible!  I'm only teaching summer school right now and I'm not sure how having to drive an hour to Gurnee and back just to have an ultrasound done will work in the beginning of the school year.  I realize I can't rush something like this, but I'm just wondering if that is typical or if there is any chance he could start things in August.  I have no clue how IVF works!     

• You guys have no idea how helpful this post is for me. I am struggling with the decision whether to continue with Froedert or make a switch to Advanced Fertility. Although I haven't really started any treatments yet, I already feel like thye are just 'cookie cutter'. I don't really feel like my fertility plan is structured around me and my needs. My DH thinks that going to AFC would be a good place to get another opinion and this post just helped me so much. I think I'm going to make an appointment for a consult to see what they have to say.

Thanks again for the post, it was really helpful.

• I'm getting here late but I go to Fox Valley Reproductive. The do their IVFs in conjunction with Advanced Fertility Center I believe. I am very comfortable with my doctor and I love, love, love my nurse.
    DX PCOS w/IR 01/08.
    Currently pg with our 1st after 6.5 yrs of IF (thank you IVF)

My IF/Everything Blog
    There's No Crying in Baseball
    ***My posts are always SAIFW**
  • imageSaraevh:
    Do they usually put you on bc for a month before they do anything?  The only reason why I'm wondering is because when I see him on the 19th I will be in the middle of my cycle and I'd like to get moving on this asap if possible!  I'm only teaching summer school right now and I'm not sure how having to drive an hour to Gurnee and back just to have an ultrasound done will work in the beginning of the school year.  I realize I can't rush something like this, but I'm just wondering if that is typical or if there is any chance he could start things in August.  I have no clue how IVF works!     

I was on birth control pills prior to my IVF.  I think it was for three weeks and then I started on lupron.  But, I was doing a micro-dose lupron flare protocol so I started the lupron later than someone who does a long lupron protocol.  I wonder if you just called and spoke to one of the nurses and either tried to move your appointment up a bit or ask if they think it would be beneficial for you to start birth control pills with your next cycle.

If you start bcp in August then you really won't be stimming until near September and that's when you end up going in for all the ultrasounds, the retrieval and transfer.  I can see how that would be hard to schedule around teaching.  Even though they do all the monitoring in the early mornings I still couldn't get to work before 9:00ish because of the drive back.

I do remember that when I went in for the consult they did an ultrasound to check my antral follicle count and that played into what protocol Dr. Sherbahn picked for me.  I'm assuming you're having your records from Froedtert sent to Dr. Sherbahn.  Hopefully they wouldn't need to do a bunch of blood work and stuff on you since Froedtert should have done all that.

I hope things work out for you.

Oh, and ladies, say I referred you - maybe I could get a discount on our FET!

This Cluttered Life

• You know, I just thought of one other thing you may want to consider - although maybe this will just confuse things for you.

Anyway, had you given any thought to going to the Advanced Institute of Fertility here in Milwaukee?  It was run by Dr. Katayama prior to his death and now there are two doctors covering the clinic for him temporarily.  I called them yesterday to see about getting a consult and got an appointment for next week.  The nurse said that they need patients who can start treatments ASAP because they may only have their lease through August.  So, that would actually be perfect for you.

I know that under Dr. Katayama they had quite good success rates and the docs who are covering worked with him for quite a while.  And, perhaps the best part is that they offer IVF for $6,000 (which is why I have the consult with them instead of going back to Dr. Sherbahn for another IVF).

This Cluttered Life

• Calling Sherbahn's nurse to ask about starting bc with this cycle is an excellent idea!  It can't hurt.  The worst she could say is no and that he would want to meet with us first.  We also set up a "next steps" appointment with Dr. Robb for next week.  We are going to see what he says and compare it to what Dr. Sherbahn says.  My husband is still iffy about switching but he's not opposed to getting a second opinion.  I haven't thought about calling the Advanced Center in Milwaukee.  I guess I just kind of figured that with Dr. Katayama's death they were sort of out of commission.  Something to think about!    

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"