D.C. Area Babies

bumpers??

do you have bumpers on your crib?  We have breathable ones and have had them since day 1...now that DS is rolling all around, he is often sleeping with his head up against them and even sometimes pushes his legs up against them...I wonder if it is safe to put the plush bumpers back in?  I have always heard they were a no-no but I don't want him to his his head in his sleep now that he rolls like crazy.....

Thanks ladies!! 

Re: bumpers??

• Wow, time sure flies--look how big your little one is!  I have had padded bumpers on DS crib from day one.  I was nervous at first, but I eventually got over it and he was one to roll around so he would have been constantly knocking into the side of the crib if I didn't have them in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • We've used plush bumpers from day 1.  They just looked so cute when I set up the nursery that I never took them out.  DD mostly slept in our room at night the first 3 months so when she transitioned back to her crib she was already rolling and was a very active sleeper.  She never stayed anywhere for long and was more than able to change her position.     
  • Loading the player...
  • We have always used them too.  When Maggie went to her new crib to make room for baby #2 we skipped them because she was old enough (18mo) to do without them but before that we always had the plush bumpers.  Ours is a little thin so stepping on it does not give any lift whatsoever for climbing out but provides enough cushion for the crazy rolling.
  • Ditto pp - we've always had them. They're not super plush (maybe an inch thick?) and tightly tied to the rails. But DS was in a sleep positioner at first, and went straight from that, more or less, to being able to roll from back to stomach and then he was all over the place. If it weren't for the bumpers he would definitely have a lot (more) bruises by now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• We've never had bumpers.  I just didn't feel comfortable with them.  DS did go through a phase where he would bump his head occasionally or stick a foot through the bars.  That's the only time when I briefly considered adding a bumper, but the phase passed fairly quickly.  If we'd had bumpers, I definitely would have removed them by now because he's starting to look for things to climb on.

• I started using the cushion ones once BabyCrown was moving around.  I did it more because he stuck his legs through the slats twice than because I was worried about him hitting his head (since he seems to think that's funny).  The general guideline is once baby can move around, he can avoid suffocating himself with blankets/bumpers/stuffed animals.
  • imageMrsTiara:
    I started using the cushion ones once BabyCrown was moving around.  I did it more because he stuck his legs through the slats twice than because I was worried about him hitting his head (since he seems to think that's funny).  The general guideline is once baby can move around, he can avoid suffocating himself with blankets/bumpers/stuffed animals.

Ditto.  I can't remember exactly how old each girl was when I put them in, but we used breathable for a while until they rolled around a lot, then put in the plush ones.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"