Orange County Babies

AWFUL experience at Destination Maternity (Mission Viejo Mall)

So I went into Destination Maternity located in the Mission Viejo Mall this past weekend and was extremely unsatisfied with my experience.

Being pregnant for the first time I am very excited to have my first baby and have been doing plenty of research online.  When it came to shopping for maternity clothes I found several reviews on thebump.com that didn?t speak highly of the store but I figured I?d find out for myself. 

I had gone in about a month or so ago with my husband just to get a feel for the store.  The sales associates are more pushy then friendly and the way they promote the product isn?t flattering.  They explained how the front part of the store is pricier, high quality product and describing the back as cheap but poor quality.  Why would a store want to sell items that aren?t of good quality? When I went into the store this past weekend I was checking out the following shirt (in different colors/patterns):

Sleeveless Square Neck Smocked Maternity T Shirt

The sales associates literally asked me every 30 seconds if I needed help.  As someone who used to work in retail I feel sales associates in retail locations need to gauge the customer and if someone looks like they need help, go ahead and ask.  However I felt really uncomfortable being asked 10 times if I need help (I was only in the store for 15 minutes max). 

I took up two of the colors of the tops I had been looking at and asked the cashier what the store policy was.  Most places refund 30 days with receipt but I was informed by the associated that the store only does 10 days store credit or exchange.  Because of this different store policy I told the cashier I would just hold off until I can bring my husband in with me.  She remarked, ?sounds good, use his credit card, right? (haha)?.  To me, this was offensive.  I know I live in an affluent area (hello OC) where many wives get to be stay at home wives/moms (which is awesome) but that isn?t my case and I felt the remark was snarky and inappropriate.  I don?t think it?s right to assume a pregnant woman stays at home and doesn?t work and relies on her husband for money. 

I am really disappointed with this location and this brand.  I was hoping it wouldn?t be like the many experiences I read online but the store didn?t prove me to be right.  I've emailed the company and I'm hoping my complaint doesn?t fall on deaf ears ? as a first time mom I think it is important to have a positive shopping experience (especially as my body is changing) ? and as a store that targets pregnant women, I?d expect more from them.

*** ok I'm done ranting (for now) *** 

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty

Re: AWFUL experience at Destination Maternity (Mission Viejo Mall)

• I don't think I've ever had a great experience there but still go back just because there aren't many options to try stuff on.  So many of the more quality clothes (ann taylor, BR, etc) have gone online only.  I go in aware of how they are and just ignore them.  I think with maternity clothes you are never a long lasting customer and really only shopping for about 5-6 months worth of clothes.  One probably shops there less than a handful of times ever so they have to push to increase sales.  They can bring all they want to the dressing room, I'm just not going to try it on.  I also think ALL maternity clothes are poor quality - they don't have to last very long - you have to wear camisoles under everything because they are thin, etc. so I always go straight to the back and pick from there.
  • Sorry girl but it sounds like at least you knew from the reviews what to expect. That top was cute though. Might I recommend Old Navy or Gap Maternity? Way less pushy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I so agree the retail assoc there are something else. I too was hounded to try on things I didn't like. I got the whole bit about the back of the store being on sale and out of style! haha part of me was like ookay i'm just looking for some leggings and tank tops, please leave me alone.

I ended up buying a bathing suit for 39.99. I tried looking other places first but Target was $10 more and I didnt like the patterns. I try and avoid that store but sometimes can't help but wander in since it's at the mall. I love sales at Gap Maternity at South Coast. :) no pushy sales assoc. there

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thanks ladies - I have already checked out Target and Old Navy Maternity (in store and online).  I will also swing by the GAP!
    When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty
  • You may want to check Ross - I found some cute tops there for under $12.
    Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Ok, preggo mind in full effect...where in Mission Viejo Mall is Destination Maternity???  I'm fully aware of the one at South Coast Plaza.  For the life of me I cannot "see" Destination Maternity at Mission Viejo Mall.

On a side note: quite excited they're finally adding a Disney Store.  Now we don't need to go to Laguna Hills Mall...yay! :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket image
  • image5dogs:
    You may want to check Ross - I found some cute tops there for under $12.

very cool - I will have to stop in there too! 

• imagebeachbodymommy:

Ok, preggo mind in full effect...where in Mission Viejo Mall is Destination Maternity???  I'm fully aware of the one at South Coast Plaza.  For the life of me I cannot "see" Destination Maternity at Mission Viejo Mall.

On a side note: quite excited they're finally adding a Disney Store.  Now we don't need to go to Laguna Hills Mall...yay! :)

it's on the bottom floor in the Macy's Women's wing 

• imageMiss Carolyn:
    imagebeachbodymommy:

Ok, preggo mind in full effect...where in Mission Viejo Mall is Destination Maternity???  I'm fully aware of the one at South Coast Plaza.  For the life of me I cannot "see" Destination Maternity at Mission Viejo Mall.

it's on the bottom floor in the Macy's Women's wing 

Awesome, thanks!!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket image
  • I've been in the store 2x and both times I have to explain to them I am only looking at the back end of the store... I don't care that I live in south OC, I absolutely cannot reason spending over $100 on a pair of jeans I will wear for 4-5 months... It doesn't matter what I tell them bc each time I go in the dressing room they have 2 pairs of the expensive jeans in there "just to try on & see if I like them".... As PP said, I don't care if you put it in there, I'm not trying them on! & I think they definitely are just pushing for sales.. The lady had me try on a pair of leggings that would go w/ a top I liked & my friend and I were like NO! They looked horrible! (like my legs were a mascot for a sausage factory!!) But the sales girl insisted they looked "great!"

Sorry so long! lol, don't worry you are not the only one who has had a bad experience there!

DD #1: BFP: 3-6-10 EDD: 11-10-10 Baby Girl Came 11-1-10
    DD #2: BFP: 8-19-18 EDD: 4-30-19
  • I posted a vent on this store a few month back! I totally agree...they are HORRIBLE there! needed a couple of things and told my mom that I refused to go back in that store but needed a nursing tank and she went to one in the outlet mall in Carlsbad. ?I asked if they were obnoxious and pushy...they weren't at all! ?So if you're down there check it out. :) ?Thank you for emailing them I hope it helps and they get a clue!!!BTW the worst sales person there is the young girl with a bad mustache! She gave me dirty looks because I didn't listen to her that I needed at least 5 sleeping bras and tried pushing ?$45 tank on me and when I opted for the cheaper one, she said I needed 2 because they're poor quality. ?Ugh! Here I go again venting! ;)?
  • I didn't have a great experience at that store either.  Pushy salespeople who talked me into a pair of jeans I don't like very much and wish I hadn't bought.  They also made comments about some clothes being "cheap" and I remember thinking "then why the heck do you sell them????"

The funny thing is, I bought the EXACT top (same color and everything) that you posted the picture of.  It's the only thing from that shopping experience that I'm happy with!

• I had the same experience. They made me feel so guilty if I were to choose the budget friendly items in the back. They recommended I invest in seven brand maternity jeans, I replied if I'm gonna drop that much cash on jeans I want it to be after the baby's born.

PS Forever 21 now sales maternity clothes! YEA!

https://www.forever21.com/category.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=maternity_main&Page=all&promotype=2 

• imagePuppyWuppy:

I had the same experience. They made me feel so guilty if I were to choose the budget friendly items in the back. They recommended I invest in seven brand maternity jeans, I replied if I'm gonna drop that much cash on jeans I want it to be after the baby's born.

PS Forever 21 now sales maternity clothes! YEA!

https://www.forever21.com/category.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=maternity_main&Page=all&promotype=2 

I saw this!  They don't have that much online for maternity yet.. I'm hoping in a month of so they will and I will trek over to the Anaheim store to check it out! 

• I agree that the sales associates are not very helpful at DM. I went to the one in South Coast and had a similar experience (pushing the "front of the store" and saying that the back was "cheaper").

I did find Gap Maternity to be easy to shop. Not a huge selection, but a lot of basics, and a decent amount of sale items. I could mix and match the items from there without investing in too many pieces.

I wish F21 had maternity stuff in-store. Their sizing with regular clothes is so wonky that I would be unsure about ordering online.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"