Health & Exercise
Options

Anyone else on a high protein diet?

I've been doing this for 2 weeks...nothing but eggs, meat, yogurt and cottage cheese (yes, I'm taking my vitamins)...sux @ss, but I lost 8lbs doin it. So I'm wondering when I should incorporate some salads and fruit back in? I was going to start Mon, but I'm afraid my weight loss will stall? This it would be totally bad if I did this another week??

Re: Anyone else on a high protein diet?

• Options

I'm following the GD diet again (first for weight reasons and now because I have to go in for a diabetes test) and it's basically a high protein, low carb diet.

As long as you incorporate SOME level of carbs (I follow 40-60grams per meal and 15 per snack) you should be fine. As much meat, cheese, veggies, etc, as you want. Salads are fine, fruits are a little dangerous at times...

If you google GD, you should be able to come up with some great ideas for meals/snacks.

• Options

Be careful following a low carb diet.  There are risks by not including any carbohydrates in your diet.  It is best to follow a balanced diet - which is why people who lose a lot of weight going low carb tend to gain weight back when they add other foods in.

From Mayo Clinic: Depending on what you eat, a low-carb diet may be high in saturated fat and cholesterol. This can increase the risk of heart disease and perhaps some types of cancer.

If you're limiting fruits, vegetables and whole-grain foods, you may not get enough fiber ? which can contribute to constipation and other gastrointestinal problems.

Ketosis ? a condition caused by incomplete fat breakdown ? also may be a concern with a low-carb diet. Ketosis can cause weakness, nausea, dehydration, dizziness and irritability.

Remember, the healthiest diet is based on fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean sources of protein ? not rigid lists of "good" and "bad" foods.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Although I agree with the previous post to an extent, no one said that we were eating strictly protein. 60 grams of carbs per meal is actually more than one would think... and allows for fiber/whole grains at least 4-5 times per day.

Talk to a doctor or nutritionist for suggestions on the diet. It's a part of my lifestyle now that I need to control my blood sugar levels.

• Options

Forgive my ignorance but why would you forgo salad and fruit? I just don't understand diets like this. Fruits and salads are good for you, unless you are diabetic and should go easy on fruit, there is still no reason to avoid fruits and veggies. What a strange diet. It's not like that two cups of spinach or romaine is going to pack 8lbs on.

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagejilicious:

Forgive my ignorance but why would you forgo salad and fruit? I just don't understand diets like this. Fruits and salads are good for you, unless you are diabetic and should go easy on fruit, there is still no reason to avoid fruits and veggies. What a strange diet. It's not like that two cups of spinach or romaine is going to pack 8lbs on.

HA! So true! The reason why people do the 2 weeks of protein (without fruit and salads) is so your body will go into ketosis (which means your body is using fat for energy). It's just a way for your body to kick start weight loss. I was just asking because I was doing so well on it, I wanted to continue losing weight. I did add ginormous salads to my diet yesterday tho...I was sick of eating just eating meat, cheese and yogurt Sad

• Options
    imagedobbslv:
    imagejilicious:

HA! So true! The reason why people do the 2 weeks of protein (without fruit and salads) is so your body will go into ketosis (which means your body is using fat for energy). It's just a way for your body to kick start weight loss. I was just asking because I was doing so well on it, I wanted to continue losing weight. I did add ginormous salads to my diet yesterday tho...I was sick of eating just eating meat, cheese and yogurt Sad

You are right, ketosis is due to the incomplete breakdown of fat.  Your body needs carbohydrates to completely break down fat.  Burning fat without carbohydrates creates byproducts called ketones that build up in your bloodstream (ketosis). Your kidneys remove the ketones from your bloodstream and eliminate them from your body through urine.  This of course will really wear on your kidneys.  In addition to the wear on your kidneys, if your calorie intake on a low carb diet is low enough, your body still needs energy, and will start to use lean muscle tissue for energy - which of course will show up on a scale as weight loss but not good (since some tissue loss can come from your heart).  This is why it is really NOT a good idea for long term diet.  If you want to do it short term, that is your choice.  I work with so many clients who do low carb diets and lose weight, then gain it back because they didn't make moderate changes to their diet.  Glad you are adding in some fruits and veggies.  You sound super motivated - so I am sure you will reach your goal!

• Options

you DO NOT need any grains but carbs are important...make sure you get your carbs from plenty of veggies (mostly the green ones!!)  fruits (especially berries) in moderation are also a good source of carbs.

i've been doing a diet similar to this for about 3 months and have never felt better!!!  I've love almost 30 lbs :-)  My DH started early January and has lost 60 lbs :-D

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"