Houston Babies

baby slings/carriers

so i'm looking for something that is easy to get the baby in and out of, especially when i'm around the house doing stuff or running an errand.  my brother has a moby that he loves, but i'm concerned it will take awhile to wrap her up all the time, that i'll be juggling to wrap her up in a parking lot, and in general that it will take awhile to learn how to do it and have it be safe and secure.  he is like a machine with that thing, but i'm wondering if it would be better when she's older?  is there something sling-ish that she can just slip right into easily while i'm sleep-deprived and out of it?  :)

i also already registered for a baby bjorn, but just wanted a sling option too. any recs are appreciated  :)

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: baby slings/carriers

• The Moby is what's known as a poppable carrier.  Meaning, you can tie it on at home and pop her in and out of it without retying the whole thing.

However, it's going to be extremely warm this summer.  If you like the idea of a wrap (and have someone like your brother to help you learn how to use it!) a Gypsymama is a great option.  Her wraps are cotton gauze, so they're thin and lightweight for a hot climate.

You might also want to look into a mei tai style carrier.  Those are going to be nice and cool and easy to use.  Plus, they work up to toddlerhood, so you get lots of use out of it.  

• imagekat.in.the.hat:

The Moby is what's known as a poppable carrier.  Meaning, you can tie it on at home and pop her in and out of it without retying the whole thing.

However, it's going to be extremely warm this summer.  If you like the idea of a wrap (and have someone like your brother to help you learn how to use it!) a Gypsymama is a great option.  Her wraps are cotton gauze, so they're thin and lightweight for a hot climate.

You might also want to look into a mei tai style carrier.  Those are going to be nice and cool and easy to use.  Plus, they work up to toddlerhood, so you get lots of use out of it.  

that makes so much sense  LOL  i was picturing myself in a parking lot with this huge piece of fabric and a baby trying to get it all to work together.   hahaha.  thanks -- i'll check out everything you mentioned.  my brother is in milwaukee so not readily available for wrapping lessons -- unless maybe over skype?  :)

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • skype is a really good resource Smile

I'm also available to meet up if you'd like.  I have a collection of carriers and happy to let you borrow something to see if it will work for you.

• Ditto Kat and I would also recommend looking at an Ergo or a Beco with an infant insert over getting the Baby Bjorn.  They are ergonomically better for baby and you will spend the same amount of money.  Nurtured Family (up off of West and Jackrabbit Rd) and A Woman's Work (Rice Village) carry both so you can try them out to see which one you like better Big Smile

ETA: you can also do back carries with the Ergo and the Beco when your LO is older

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We have a homemade Moby we're going to use.... We also just purchased an Ergo since DH is too nervous for the Moby. I really want a woven wrap, too....
    imageimage

• imageddr262:

Ditto Kat and I would also recommend looking at an Ergo or a Beco with an infant insert over getting the Baby Bjorn.  They are ergonomically better for baby and you will spend the same amount of money.  Nurtured Family (up off of West and Jackrabbit Rd) and A Woman's Work (Rice Village) carry both so you can try them out to see which one you like better Big Smile

ETA: you can also do back carries with the Ergo and the Beco when your LO is older

Yes! An Ergo or Beco is a much better investment than a Bjorn, IMO. I have a plain black/khaki one that my DH will use as well (Ergo) and a pretty brown/blue flowered one that I use all the time (Beco). If you only want one, I think the Becos are prettier but I like the fit and function of the Ergo better.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"