High-Risk Pregnancy

Hydroxy Progesterone injection question re: side effects

Hi everyone,

Im 40 and high risk due to age and 2 previous preterm births in 1989 and 1990. They did not do a cerclage and I am 23 weeks, I will be 24 weeks tomorrow. My son is 1 pound 3 ounces as of last week on Monday.

At my high risk appt, they said the outside of my cervix is open (1 cm I think) and that there is funneling, at my previous appt my cervix was 48 and is now 21 at last weeks appt. They put me on mandatory bedrest and started progesterone injections on Tuesday, I go once a week for them.

I had no problem with the shot, not even pain at the injection site (butt). I have had cramping, menstrual like (no blood) for the last 2 days, on and off. Has anyone else had the cramping? I am freaking out just a bit. I do have a dr appt with my high risk tomorrow at 9am but hopeing this isnt contractions and just cramping.

advice please.
Thanks so much,
Cher

Re: Hydroxy Progesterone injection question re: side effects

• I'm pretty sure it isn't a side-effect from the 17-P. I looked up side effects when I started on the medicine, and that was not listed. HOWEVER, 17-P is supposed to prevent PTL... but you can still get contractions/BH, etc.

I know the "prime" time to start 17-P is 16-17 weeks, so you did start them a bit late-- but I am not sure how that would effect the medicine. ALSO, your cervix can "grow" back and get longer....

I would lay down and drink lotsa water and see if the cramping goes away. If it gets worse, I would call your Dr. GL & HTH. 

- - - - Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit The Knot! image image Visit The Knot!
  • I have had the 17-P for 7 weeks now, and have not had cramping associated with it.  I have had contractions on two different occasions (3 in an hour) after it had been almost a week since the last shot.  Have not had it in about 3 weeks.  Good luck, I think if you're worried, call the doc, otherwise drink lots of water, lay down and see your doctor in the am.
  • Loading the player...
  • cadencaden member
    I'm on p17 shots and I have some mild cramping as well. I'm pretty sure it's not a side effect of p17, it's a symptom of my irritable uterus, or mild contractions. It's a good thing to mention this to your doctor, just so they know.
  • It could also be your uterus stretching b/c the baby is growing fast right now! Between the 23rd and 24th week the baby supposedly gains 4 oz.

I am on the 17p shots too. I have cramping every so often but I am on multiple meds that help calm my irritable uterus down.

I would just relax and drink plenty of fluids and tell dr at your appt that you have been experiencing the cramping. But the cramping is not related to the injections...

Lara

• From what I understand about 17P injections (I am on them), cramping should NOT be a side effect.  As a matter of fact, I am on them for "irritable uterus".  During my last pregnancy my cervix shortened slowly and I eventually gave birth early at 35 weeks.  I had CONSTANT braxton hicks that they are trying to prevent with the 17P.  My OB described it as "relaxing" the uterus and told me I should have less BHCs.  So far I haven't had any (though I am only 20 weeks).

If I were you I would call your doctor. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"