Baby Showers

Crib on Registry?

I had a hand me down crib from my sister, and it was recently recalled. We hadn't planned on buying a new one. Are any of you putting nursery furniture on your registry? I have a changing table already. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Crib on Registry?

• I think it can be okay if you have a bunch of different price points. I wouldn't expect someone to buy the crib for me but I would definitely appreciate it if someone did! I will probably register for some more expensive stuff like the stroller, car seat etc but I will purchase them if no one buys them for us.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I say go for it if you have a lot of different price points.  Also sometimes people like to go in as a group and buy a larger item off your registry (like a crib, stroller or car seat).  If anything, if you are ok with waiting to purchase the crib off the registry you can use the completion code discount.
  • Loading the player...
  • I say put it on your registry. I have some larger expensive items on my registry, stroller, breast pump, etc. and I am assuming that a family member will get one of those items if anyone gets them at all. Like other post mentioned, people like to go in together on gifts too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Definitely go for it. People like having the option of having different price points!!! We had one person by our changing table themselves at our shower while other people went halvies on our swing! It's nice to give everyone the option to do what fits within their budgets!! :) Also sometimes if you have things on your registry that aren't purchased you get a discount at the end. That was true for my PBK registry! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am not a fan of furniture on registries.
  • DH and I registered for everything we knew we would need. It was a great way to have an organized list of things we still need and could take things off if we bought them before the shower. I'm a big fan of having lists for grocery shopping, to-do lists, etc. so a registry made it very easy to keep track. Plus, we just received our 10% off card from Target for our registry, a month before LO is due. Any furniture you don't receive/buy before, you can use that discount card to purchase them and more. 
  • I dont see why anyone would get offended if you put furniture on your registry so long as you had plenty of less expensive items to choose from also. As PP said, a lot of times office workers or friends will all go in on one large ticket item together, so it's great to give them that option. And also close family members like parents and In-laws sometimes want to get you one of the larger ticket items but if you dont register for it they cant surprise you with it cause they wont know what you want. (not saying they will or wont but thats what my MIL did for SIL).

Just be sure to keep an eye on your registry every week and if all the smaller items start disappearing to replace them with more inexpensive items so people still have plenty of options the day before the shower. I know for some wedding registries people register for stuff and then forget about it but when I get on the week before the wedding to buy something the only things left are the 100 dollar sheets and 300 dollar kitchen aid mixer.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ours would be on the registry if my parents didn't offer to buy it for us.

• We put a crib on our registry. No one bought it for us, but between registry repeats that were returned and the gift cards, we were able to order the crib we wanted for free. I wouldn't hesitated to do it again.

• Definitely go for it. Even if no one buys it, you can often get a discount and all that...

Usually the people who do buy it are those who go in as a group or son-to-be grandparents... take your chances. As long as you have many different price points, I don't think it's offensive.

White Knot
  • LCB34LCB34 member

imagemr&mrswelch:
    I am not a fan of furniture on registries.

I am not a fan of it either. I feel there are some things (like furniture) that the parents-to-be should buy on their own. 

• I have no problem with it, it's part of what you need/want for your baby. And if anyone gets snooty, you can educate them about the completion coupons. People who get offended about items on a registry are just looking for something to get mad about - I'm all for ettiquette, but at some point people need to calm down.

I'll be using my registry to organize all my wants & needs, so I'll probably put all sorts of things on there to start, and then "adjust" it before my shower to have appropriate price points. I'll also be looking at a crib less than $200 though, so that's not unheard of for a group to go in together and get. I love doing that sort of stuff, you feel like you really get the recipient something substantial.

EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
  • I have the crib on the registry but that is largely because my MIL wants to buy it for us since that is what they have done for all of DH's sisters (btw he is the only boy in his family). But I did this for the sake of having it picked out for when they go to purchase it unless they haven't looked at purchasing it by the time shower invites get sent out at which point I will probably take it off and show them exactly which crib we want. Other than that, the only big items on the registry are things like the stroller (which my mom will probably buy), the high chair (which half of DH's sisters are likely to pull together and get because it is only around $60), and the baby swing (which I'm half expecting the other half of DH's sisters are going to pull together to get which is also around $60). Everything else is fairly inexpensive (ranging from $0-$50) and suits what I have noticed my family tends to buy from showers and that I'm hoping will be good with DH's family.

Side note: the expectations from above are from either verbal confirmations (i.e. my mom saying she wanted to get some big item like travel system stroller) or from previous experience (i.e. DH's sisters pull together for showers and major holidays to get bigger items off registries or wish lists to total up to between $30 and $60 dollars a person). I though would not be too disappointed if they didn't follow those expectations it is just my predictions based on things they have said and past behavior. 

• imagemr&mrswelch:
    I am not a fan of furniture on registries.

Me either...HOWEVER...BRU requires that all items that you want to use your completion coupon on must be on your registry PRIOR to your event date. I put my event date as my shower date so I could get my coupon early...so I had to put my furniture on there. 

Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • I know alot of times the grand parents to be will want to buy the crib. But if not that should be the one thing you guys can pick out and buy together then put it together before all that other stuff fills the room. Have you checked to make sure that recalled crib will not be replaced by the manufacturer? I know alot of companies were replacing the recalled cribs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"