Trying to Get Pregnant

Putting together a hope chest for baby

What do you guys think about putting together a hope chest for baby.  Hubbie and I want to TTC soon and I am having a HARD TIME waiting.  I was thinking about putting together a hope chest with things for the baby we want to have.  I won't get any furniture or anything yet, but if I see a cute onesie or have something I want to put aside I could put it in this chest.

Re: Putting together a hope chest for baby

• TaceyKTaceyK member
    Putting together a "hope chest" would make me feel weird
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If I see something cute that I want for our future LO I usually get it.  I keep it in our spare bedroom upstairs that one day (hopefully) will be the nursery.  I think the chest idea is cute, but either way...if you see something that you want to buy (even though you are not pregnant) then I say get it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am of two minds on this. One, if it would relieve stress and allow you enjoy the process of TTC more then I say go for it. The only problem I see is if it takes a year or more to get pregnant then you will have all these reminders laying around.

Also, as fun as it is to buy things for a baby there are only so many gender neutral onesies, blankets, bibs, etc. that you need so if it takes a long time you will run out of stuff to buy. If you have a shower you are going to get TONS of this stuff anyway so...
  • Eh I'm not a big fan of this because

1 We want to find out the sex of the baby so I don't want to buy things we won't be able to use that are gender specific

2 It would make me sad having baby things for a baby that doesn't exist

3 You never know when your baby will be born and if you end up with a ton of newborn long sleeve onsies and your baby is born in April or May what then?

You will have plenty of time to shop once you are pregnant and there will be a million cute things then too, you will get a million hand me downs, and lots of things at your baby shower. If you wanted to pick things out here and there that seem special to you, or family members gave you things that were special to them from their children or childhood, that would be ok if you think it wouldn't hurt to have reminds of a baby that isnt. But a hope chest full of things you just went out and bought seems a bit much.

• I have one. I have a baby girl bracelet that I bought when I was 18 because I loved it so much, an owl burp cloth from etsy, and snowflake mittens my husband bought in it. As well as pregnancy books and the belly book that we bought the first time we found out i was pregnant (lost it two days later though) and a book for writing letters to the baby in. i love opening it up and looking through the stuff. It gives me some hope that some day i'll be using everything in it. 

• Are you ttc soon or in 10 months like your ticker says.  If you are not trying for another 10 months your excitement will drive you nuts!
  • imagemaybe*baby*sawyer*2011:
    Are you ttc soon or in 10 months like your ticker says.  If you are not trying for another 10 months your excitement will drive you nuts!

Agreed. I didn't see that. In that case i would say it's a bit premature. 

• I haven't bought anything for a baby and I won't until I'm actually pregnant. I can't bear the thought of buying things for a child when I don't even know when I'll have one or if I'll have one. I'm a positive thinker and I really believe children are in the cards for us, but I think for me, personally, baby items would just be upsetting every time I got my period.

But I know lots of people who plan ahead and if you feel comfortable with doing that, that's totally up to you :)

• I have bought a couple of items that I have seen on clearance.  That is it.  For example.  Target had a bobby pillow on clearance (they recently redid them).  So I bought this, but I didn't buy any covers to go with it because I want to be able to buy gender specific ones.

What I've been doing more is taking about 20 dollars from each paycheck and putting it aside for when I am PG so I can go out and buy whatever I want then.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageNavyGMWife:

I have bought a couple of items that I have seen on clearance.  That is it.  For example.  Target had a bobby pillow on clearance (they recently redid them).  So I bought this, but I didn't buy any covers to go with it because I want to be able to buy gender specific ones.

What I've been doing more is taking about 20 dollars from each paycheck and putting it aside for when I am PG so I can go out and buy whatever I want then.

This is a good idea. Instead of a hope chest have a hope savings account meant specifically for shopping when you find out your pregnant! 

• i am with billysun's first paragraph and i really like the idea of the savings account. i was going to start that next month as well!
    together since 7/06 married 10/09 Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image
  • imageBeccaboo0713:
    imageNavyGMWife:

I have bought a couple of items that I have seen on clearance.  That is it.  For example.  Target had a bobby pillow on clearance (they recently redid them).  So I bought this, but I didn't buy any covers to go with it because I want to be able to buy gender specific ones.

This is a good idea. Instead of a hope chest have a hope savings account meant specifically for shopping when you find out your pregnant! 

I LOVE this idea!  

• imageNavyGMWife:

Love, love this idea! I think we will start next pay period :)

• The plan was originally to wait 10 months to TTC because that is when my best friend's wedding is.  Coincidentally, my best friend is marrying my husband's best friend.  Anyway, we figured that the next ten months will be all about our friends and their wedding and then it would be all about baby.  But we are worried that it may take us a while to get pregnant and that we will have problems if we wait too long (I am 28, he is 30 so we are not too old)  For now, we are both trying to get to a healthier weight. We are having a hard time waiting.  We will probably start earlier than we had planned.
  • I don't buy baby stuff, but I have a few things that will go in the nursery when we do have a baby. One is a teddy bear with very sentimental value to me; another is a handmade music box I bought in Italy (will give to a baby girl). My great-grandmother's rocking chair and a handmade quilt from my deceased grandmother will also go in the nursery. My MIL has several antique heirlooms that will get passed down to the baby as well.

I don't really believe in buying stuff like onesies or toys for a person that doesn't yet exist, but it will obviously have the family items that would be passed down to any baby.

• imagemommywannabe2011:
    The plan was originally to wait 10 months to TTC because that is when my best friend's wedding is.  Coincidentally, my best friend is marrying my husband's best friend.  Anyway, we figured that the next ten months will be all about our friends and their wedding and then it would be all about baby.  But we are worried that it may take us a while to get pregnant and that we will have problems if we wait too long (I am 28, he is 30 so we are not too old)  For now, we are both trying to get to a healthier weight. We are having a hard time waiting.  We will probably start earlier than we had planned.

Your best friends are getting married in basically a year so you wanted to wait to TTC because the next 10 months of your life are going to be all about them?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"