Blended Families
Options

XP from 24+ months: Leashes?

We're taking Gabs to Disney right after she turns 2. Of course we'll have the stroller with us, but my SO also bought one of those backpacks with a leash (for lack of a better word) attached to it. Now, I absolutely hate the idea of having her on a leash, but I know she won't sit in the stroller all day. WDYT?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
Baby Squirt- September 2009
Baby Turtle- May 2010
Baby Surprise- August 2011

Re: XP from 24+ months: Leashes?

• Options

We have a monkey lease. My dd LOVES IT! She hates the stroller and will scream if we try to keep her in it. She LOVES to walk and she knows that if she has her monkey on she gets to walk. It is a godsend.She also likes to take off running while we are in public. I will do what is needed to keep her safe and happy and the leash is it.

• Options

Safe while attached to you or lost in the park?????

Honestly I judge parents who don't have their kids on leashes, and let them run all over the place.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

imageInternetExplorer:
    I am anti leash.  But I am also very, freakishly strong and am willing to carry my babies anywhere, anytime.  I prefer to pick up a two year old yes, even when squirmy.

And if they start screaming because they want to walk?

Why anti-leash? Just curious.

• Options
    While I don't think you should make it a regular thing, Disney can be dangerous when you think about all the crowds. I think it's a better option than letting a two year old walk around on her own.
    IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    SWmamaSWmama member

imageSPerry0376:
    While I don't think you should make it a regular thing, Disney can be dangerous when you think about all the crowds. I think it's a better option than letting a two year old walk around on her own.

This exactly! And I hate leashes too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ***Bueller, Bueller, anyone there****

Anyone care to explain the leash hate??????
  • Options

I personally would never use a leash, no matter the situation... there's been times my step daughter may have needed one though lol  My son and I traveled a lot when he was younger so he's learned to watch me and stick by me no matter what...

Instead of a leash, whenever we go somewhere big (ie zoo, theme park somewhere they can get lost) I write our cell phone number on their arms, so if god forbid they were to stray from us it'd be much easier for someone to contact us. 

• Options

imageparis.inthe.spring:
    ***Bueller, Bueller, anyone there****

Anyone care to explain the leash hate??????

I may be alone in this, but I hate the idea of walking her around like she's an animal. Of course... I hate the idea of her getting swept up in a crowd and lost forever :/ 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
  • Options

I also look at the leashes like animals. If the kid feels they are old enough to walk around, then they are old enough to hold my hand, and if they throw a fit, then back in the stroller, or carried. I do admit that I dislike the backpacks much less than the wrist ones we saw like 10 years ago or so.

Also a funny story. We were at a fair and there were mud puddles on the path. I saw a boy, around 3 probably try to jump into a puddle. His dad just held the leash high so basically swung him over it. I thought it was hysterical, and a great use for it. I had to admit that was really cool.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Very interesting. Other than IE's whole nerve issue, I do think the whole animal analogy is lame. But that is just my opinion.
    I would think it would be better to keep a child from running off and getting snatched up by a not so savory person, than to keep them on a leash. But, what do I know, my ute has always been and shall remain permanently empty :)
  • Options
    KyahKyah member
    imageSUwife:

If the kid feels they are old enough to walk around, then they are old enough to hold my hand, and if they throw a fit, then back in the stroller, or carried.

This. DD holds my hand if she wants to walk around, and if she starts balking she goes right back to her stroller.

• Options
    I never used one w/ my DD.. but I also never took a young toddler to Disney. ehh tough call. Not for me.. but I'm not going to judge anyone at Disney for using one.
  • Options

I hate leashes. I have never used one. I either carry them or put them in the stroller or a carrier.

Now, that being said I have some friends who don't particularly like them either but they just went on a cruise with their 3 year old and 18 month old. They bought the 18 month old a backpack leash because obviously they didn't want her running off close to the edge of the ship. After thinking about that, I could see certain cases where one might be necessary. I have not been to Disney as an adult so I'm not sure if I would think that fit into that category or not.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Options
    **sorry duplicate post
    DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Options
    I remember someone on Parenting a long time ago putting a sign on the backpack saying, "Too precious to lose"...that makes such a big point.  If your child is a runner then they can be awesome.  I own one and rarely use it but might still get use out of it with DD.  And believe me, those that will judge using the leash will judge you waaaaay more if you lose your child.  And in Magic Kingdom there were literally hourly announcements of lost children and you do NOT want to be that parent that is hysterical when you cannot find your kid.  And they are just a cute backpack with a "string" attached so that your child can walk with a tiny bit of freedom but not get lost.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    I hate them.  If I couldn't keep my child safe by having him in a stroller, holding his hand, or carrying him then I will just go someplace I could.  I feel like leashes are for animals. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We've never used a leash on DS, but I don't judge people that do. I imagine that in certain situations--especially with certain children--it would be a lifesaver.

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

yes!  We had one for Allison, she loved to wear it.  I made her hold my hand but also had the end of the leash just in case. 

• Options

Maybe I DO treat Monks like an animal, but I use our backpack leash (yes the Monkey one) as a training tool.

She is 18 mo old.  She wants to walk...well RUN.  She does not have the reasoning skills or attention span to hold my hand/stay within sight at all times.

Using the leash to make sure that she does not run away, while teaching her in incrimental steps to stay with us is our Godsend.

And really, why is it wrong to look like an "animal'?  You leash your dog to protect it and others around you, no?  And somehow that is a good thing for your pet, but its wrong for your child?

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options

I honestly don't understand the leash thing I don't think I ever will.. Use it to safe guard your child from running off? I don't really have this problem, we went out all the time, and my son has traveled through busy airports more times in his 3 years of life than the average adult.  I think it's more practice than anything. I know my SD will run off sometimes, or wander, but when her parents were together they would avoid situation they found she didn't behave for.. I on the other hand wouldn't avoid situations I took them as a learning opportunity for my son. My son decided to walk off once when he had just learned to walk, so I hid, I walked behind him for about a min or so letting him cry scared cause he lost mommie, needless to say he's never done it again. 

I'd say leashes are for animals, but I don't even use one for my dog so that doesn't work for me.  I think it's all in preparation and working with kids in different situations.

• Options

I would get the leash FOR SURE.

No, it's not lazy parenting.  I would rather have my toddler walking around happily, satisfied with a leash - walk compromise, than have him pitching a fit all day because he's in the stroller or in my arms.  He would be happier walking, and I would be happier knowing that he's not going to run away from me (which he does CONSTANTLY) thinking that he's Mr. Funny-pants.

Add to that the we have 2 kids, soon a third, and there is just no physical way I could keep up with him. 

And not to insult PP, but writing your cell # on their arm is, IMO, not great parenting.  You're trusting that if your child gets lost or runs away, whoever finds her is going to actually call you.  What if they don't?  What if your child is hiding somewhere, or no one actually notices they are running around lost?  It's a very reactive approach instead of proactive, and even though I'm a trusting person I'm not going to trust that ANYONE who finds my adorable little kid is going to be a good person.

• Options
    imagebabyangl86:

Instead of a leash, whenever we go somewhere big (ie zoo, theme park somewhere they can get lost) I write our cell phone number on their arms, so if god forbid they were to stray from us it'd be much easier for someone to contact us. 

Seriously? I'm sure the molester who takes your child after they wander away will be sure to appreciate that they can call you to pick up when they are through.

I haven't had to use one for awhile, but having a 6 y/o with autism who tends to wander, a 4 y/o with ED-NOS and a 2 1/2 y/o who insists on being like her big brothers - it can be a life-saver.

I've never understood why being tied into a stroller screaming can be considered more humane than giving a child a little freedom they crave. Hand holding is great, but they are pretty quick, especially when you have more kids than hands. 

Michelle
    3 boys (15, 8, 6), 1 girl (4)
  • Options
    I didn't have one with DD1, but sometimes, I wished I had. She was a wonderer and quick to get out of eyesight. Needless to say, we didn't go places often. If we were in a big croud, it was alot of hard work to keep her happy in the stroller. She's was and still is a very friendly and social child. If DD2 is the same way and wants to run around in big crowds, I would consider it.
    ~*March 26th, 2011 - The day I marry my best friend*~ Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers image 44 Invitations sent out!
    image 70 guests are joining the celebration!
    image 11 friends are sad they can't make it
    image 20 people are procrastinators!
    RSVP Date: 2/28/2011
  • Options

We go to Disney somewhat regularly (it's close by)...and have to say the stroller is much better. Kids get tired of walking after a while and it's such a BIG park...there's a lot of walking and the activities get them tired, too. After about noon, you see crowds of passed out kids (not just toddlers) in the rental strollers, LOL!

It's much easier for them to take a rest inside a stroller, then mess around with some leash all day that somebody could trip over. Plus, I agree with IE - the tugging is not good for your spine or the delicate muscles surrounding it. But that comes from somebody with a bad and aching back - so I'm definitely pretty sensitive about that kind of stuff.

• Options
    imagebabyangl86:

I honestly don't understand the leash thing I don't think I ever will.. Use it to safe guard your child from running off? I don't really have this problem, we went out all the time, and my son has traveled through busy airports more times in his 3 years of life than the average adult.  I think it's more practice than anything. I know my SD will run off sometimes, or wander, but when her parents were together they would avoid situation they found she didn't behave for.. I on the other hand wouldn't avoid situations I took them as a learning opportunity for my son. My son decided to walk off once when he had just learned to walk, so I hid, I walked behind him for about a min or so letting him cry scared cause he lost mommie, needless to say he's never done it again. 

I'd say leashes are for animals, but I don't even use one for my dog so that doesn't work for me.  I think it's all in preparation and working with kids in different situations.

Now you I judge. Fear, what a great teaching tool Hmm And you don't leash your dog-you are so awesome Confused A leash keeps your dog, and others around you safe. But, I am sure you have taught your dog not to run off, and to ignore any strange dogs that might approach. Yay, ok.

Illumine, I knew I loved you.

• Options

We took my oldest to Disney when he was around 2. No "animal" leash, just a stroller and attentive parenting. No wandering allowed. His hand was always held or he was held if he wasn't strapped in the stroller. I will never put my child on a leash. If I feel I can't handle the large crowds with my kids I would either enlist family to go with me or don't go(which has never had to happen). Kids safety is #1 for me, Attentive parenting is my "leash". 

• Options
    imageToni_And_Adam:

We took my oldest to Disney when he was around 2. No "animal" leash, just a stroller and attentive parenting. No wandering allowed. His hand was always held or he was held if he wasn't strapped in the stroller. I will never put my child on a leash. If I feel I can't handle the large crowds with my kids I would either enlist family to go with me or don't go(which has never had to happen). Kids safety is #1 for me, Attentive parenting is my "leash". 

Ahhh, I get it now. Every parent that has ever had a child snatched away from them in a crowd were not attentive parents. That explains sooooooo much. You really should write a parenting book. 

• Options
    imageparis.inthe.spring:
    imageToni_And_Adam:

Ahhh, I get it now. Every parent that has ever had a child snatched away from them in a crowd were not attentive parents. That explains sooooooo much. You really should write a parenting book. 

Thanks maybe I should write a book Titled: MY USE OF ATTENTIVE PARENTING INSTEAD OF A LEASH! Key word being MY. Not THE! Never did I say anything about people who chose to. And last I checked I didn't ask for your opinion on my post lol actually no one except Norma has. Norma asked for our opinion's and we are giving them to her.

Breathe, it's ok ,not everyone needs to share your opinion, you'll survive!

• Options

Who decided that leashes were just for animals anyway? Is it because the first time you heard of one was when you were walking your dog? What if it was called something other than a leash...would those of you who find "leashing" your child offensive be less offended?

On that note, I think it's a brilliant way to give your child freedom, the chance to learn their limits and keep them safe.

• Options
    imagebabyangl86:

Yeah, I hope your next child is perfect too but not all toddlers "learn" so quickly.  And not using a leash for your dog is just not responsible dog ownership.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    imagebabyangl86:

I am not going to touch upon the fact that you think terrorizing your child is a reasonable parenting tip. 

The fact that you disregard the law (unless you are living outside of the Harris County jurisdiction) is enough to disregard ANY advice/commentary you give.

As for preparation and working with kids, each child will learn at different speeds and through different methods. 

My method DOES take preparation into account - I am prepared to give my daughter time outside of her stroller when she wants it.  And since I am not a mind reader and cannot stop something before it happens, I am also prepared for when she reaches her limit at staying right next to mommy or if her attention gets drawn away from being right next to us.  

And my method actually gives both of us some back ease, since I am not contunually bending over to reach down to her level or her having to keep her arm above her head at all times.  So much more fun for all of us.

This is how I work with my kid. 

You may choose not to use one method, but being rude and dismissive over another parent's choice in training (synonym for teaching) tool is rude, elitist and shortsighted.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    I hate leashes.  It's a child not a pet.  If they are old enough to walk around, they are old enough to understand, hold mommy's hand or you HAVE to be in the stroller. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"