2nd Trimester
Options

another registry question

Are you registering for things you don't need *yet*? Things that you won't need for a little while... like baby gates, and sippy cups that the child won't need till it's a bit older. I wasn't really planning on registering for these things... but when I looked at the "top registry items" for BRU, they all seem to be on there, so I'm just wondering what the norm is?

Also, how many bottles and things are necessary for one baby?

and i thought i loved you then <3<a href="http://daisypath.com/">Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Missed Miscarriage discovered at 9w6d
D&E 10.27.2011
I'll love you forever Baby Speck Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: another registry question

• Options

When I registered for DS's arrival, I only asked for things that I needed within the first 5 months.  It would never cross my mind to register for baby gates or sippy cups.  That's a bit over-the-top IMO.  My H's coworker actually registered for a toddler bed on her registry - tacky!!

I did register for a high chair and used it within the 5 months to have DS sit with us while we ate dinner (he watched of course). We purchased a jumperoo and exersaucer when he was a bit older and didn't need gates until he started to crawl (around 10 mos).

Keep in mind that BRU wants you to register for the most items because you're bringing revenue into their store! I can't help with the bottle question since I only BF'd - perhaps ask 0-3 board if no one shares.

I'd also suggest bringing an experienced friend along with you when you register since they know the ins and outs of what you'll need imminently! GL!

• Options
    I registered for a couple sippy cups and I would have registered for a baby gate if we needed one. I figure if no one buys it I can still use the discount towards buying it myself. But I know that I've bought things like that (I've even bought a potty seat) off registries before. I figure if they wanted it, I will buy it. I have about like 4- 4 oz bottles and 8-10 8 oz bottles. I've read not to buy too many incase baby doesn't like that kind but I wanted to have some on hand. You can always buy more.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I decided to register for anything I'd need the first year so yes, gates and sippy cups are on the list.  I did not register for the next car seat--I've got nowhere to store something so huge anyway.  Other things that are toddler specific like a potty seat, toddler bed, etc. I left off the list--that's what birthdays and Christmas presents from the grandparents can be later on if I don't buy it myself.
    BabyFetus Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    When I registered for my daughter, I did add some things which would be needed later on such as the convertible carseat, take and toss containers and cups, highchair, etc.  I just followed the lead of all my friends and family members who had babies/showers before me.  It may seem gift grabby, but it is common in my circle to just add everything.  I also have a huge family and I think there were 60 or so woman at my shower.  As for bottles, I think I registered for one multi pack of Dr. Browns.  I eneded up not using that brand as she was very gassy...So, I suggest you choose one kind, get one multi pack and go from there.  Have fun registering.
  • Options

I only registered for the things I needed in the first 6 months or so with DD, but I found that a lot of my friends showered me with things that they couldn't live without with their own children. I ended up getting some nice cups, bowls, spoons, etc... even though they weren't on my registry.  

I would say, however, that I registered for and received a ton of stuff that I didn't need or use and wish that I had thought to put a few more older-baby things on my list.  Your friends and relatives want to gift you things that you will use and need and I don't think it's tacky to look ahead to some of the things you might need later on. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think things like baby gates and sippy cups are fine. At my shower one of my Aunts said she was surprised there wasn't a potty seat on our registry.  It never even occurred to me to register for something like that because it's so far off.  But I guess people put things for the future on the registry.  
  • Options
    I've put things that I can see the child using in the first year on the registry especially since I am getting a lot of hand me downs for clothing and such before the showers even happen. So I have a chunk of my registry gone and with the amount of people coming to the shower I kind of need these types of items to give them any selection or else I'm just kind of stuck with a few items. And right now I do have the baby's crib on the registry but my MIL has already told me that it is her family tradition to buy her daughters and daughters in law a crib when they are about to become first time mothers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JDOJDO member

We registered for a few things we won't use for a while, like the high chair (it matches some of our other items and don't want the pattern to be discontinued by the time we do want it) and some smaller items like sippy cups and baby spoons and stage 2 and 3 nipples for the bottles. We mostly stuck with items we'd use in the first 3 months though, with a few exceptions.

I've read about 10 bottles is a good number, and to try out different brands to see which ones LO responds best to. We already got 3 - 4oz bottles and 2 - 8oz bottles as part of a gift, we registered for 2 additional 3-packs of 8oz bottles (in a different brand than the ones we already have, some wide neck and some regular) and got a free 4oz bottle in a goodie bag (another different brand) so we'll have 12 bottles altogether of 3 different brands. I think that's a good number and a good variety to start.

• Options
    We registered for baby gates, sippy cups, etc. We had about 10 bottles when DD came home from the hospital, but BFing didn't go as well as I'd hoped and I did a lot of pumping and bottle-feeding and I hated one type of bottle which we had three of. So we quickly through the Nuby's away and I  sent DH out for more Playtex Vent Aire's and Drop-In's. I wouldn't stock up on bottles until you use them a bit and see what you/DC like. Now we have about 2- bottles.

• Options
    I never thought about registering for things they would use after the first few months until getting on here. It makes sense though, because some babies will start using sippy cups early. Also, my girls are due in October, and will only be a couple of months old when Christmas rolls around.. so therefore their next "gift giving" occasion with my family won't be until their first birthday. I think it's a personal choice. I know my family and friends would not think I was being gift-grabby if I registered for sippy cups and the like. A couple of people have already mentioned things they wanted to get me that their child/grandchild loves now, but that the babies wouldn't use until about 8-9 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"