Preemies

spitting up...

DS has been spitting up more in the last few weeks! It is usually after he eats and is accompanied by a burp or hiccup. I am assuming this is normal. However, he has been also spitting up hours after eating. Sometimes it's a lot, sometimes it's not. He does not spit up as much during the day as he does at night. 

I have tried a few things to alleviate the issue: inclining his bed, holding him upright for 15mins after eating, burping him multiple times while eating, and changing bottles. Nothing seems to help.

He does not show any issues while eating, but he has been really fussy. 

Is this AR? Should I be concerned or is this normal spitting up? Could he have an allergy to the milk-based formula?

I have a pedi appt. next week, but wanted to see that you ladies thought! 
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: spitting up...

• Could you be over feeding him? My DS does have AR but I was over feeding him as well. Try feeding him smaller amounts more often. Also, try keeping him upright for 30 minutes after eating, 15 may not be enough. Is be fussing when he spits up or when he burps? That's a sign it's reflux. Or if he's fussing and arching his back while he's eating.
  • He usually fusses after he eats. He cries and wants to be held. I only feed DS 2.5oz every 3 hours. I may have to try feeding 2oz every 3.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageadelepickle:
    He usually fusses after he eats. He cries and wants to be held. I only feed DS 2.5oz every 3 hours. I may have to try feeding 2oz every 3.
    Sounds like it could be AR so definitely talk to your pedi. You may try 2oz every 2.5 hours or so, that way the food is smaller amounts at a time but he doesn't eat less total for the day. Hope that makes sense.
  • He doesn't fuss right after eating, it's more like an hour or so after. Then he might spit up without warning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"