Baby Showers

Gift card parties?

Has anyone heard of a gift card party or had one? I think it takes the "fun" out of the shower but on the other hand its so convenient for the guests to just grab a gift card from somewhere(target, walmart, babiesrus ect).

Re: Gift card parties?

• If guests want the "convienence", they can get a gift card regardless if it's a "gift card" party or not.

I find this concept incredibly rude.  People want to buy gifts, they want to see their gift opened.  A gift card party is only a tiny tiny step away from saying "just bring cash".

If people don't want to be bothered w/ getting gifts, having to open them, and take them home, then they shouldn't bother to have a shwoer..

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• spfclrspfclr member

I've only seen this for people who live a plane ride away.  It's stated on the invite "please consider bringing a gift card or shipping your gift directly to the bride/mom", which a quarter of the people ignore (which I think is fine).

I can see the logic in reminding people that the bride/mom would have to ship all gifts to her new home/location, but if it's not related to distance I would find it strange to be invited to a gift card shower.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since April 2012

Year 1 - nothing

Year 2 - two m/c

Year 3 - unexplained diagnosis & 4 failed IUIs with Clomid/Letrozole

Year 4 - still unexplained & 3 failed IUIs with Follistim & Ovidral

Year 5 - trying on our own

• Loading the player...
  • I think it is fine if the mom lives out of state and needs to fly back home, but most people I know love shopping for babies and would rather buy gifts than gift cards.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers VOTE on my Name List
  • I've never heard of it. But I will fall back on my standard response that telling people what gift to bring you at a party is rude.
  • SOrry, I don't think if the person has to fly home is a reason to say "gift cards" or "ship your gifts".

If you want a shower, then accept whatever gifts you get however they are given to you.  It's ridiculous to basically say to a person "Hi, come to this event and buy me a gift, oh , but wait, here are the parameters you must follow to do so".  If you want people to buy you stuff, then you graciously accept it however its given to you.

Give the guests SOME credit- many will think "Oh- she has to travel home, lets not get her something big".

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I agree with ECB.  People that know the MTB (and I'm assuming most people at her shower will know her) already have an idea of what she'll be able to take back with her.  If she gets a lot of bigger things then they can be shipped.  If they are off the registry they can be retunred for gift cards by the MTB and rebought when she gets home.

I think requesting gift cards only is really rude.  Why even bother with a shower.  Just send a note requsting gift cards to be mailed to such and such.  It's not like they are going to ohh and ahh over the MTB opening cards with gift cards in them.  If people ask what you or the MTB wants then it opens the opportunity to mention the travel problem.

• imageEastCoastBride:

If guests want the "convienence", they can get a gift card regardless if it's a "gift card" party or not.

I find this concept incredibly rude.  People want to buy gifts, they want to see their gift opened.  A gift card party is only a tiny tiny step away from saying "just bring cash".

If people don't want to be bothered w/ getting gifts, having to open them, and take them home, then they shouldn't bother to have a shwoer..

AMEN!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehopefulmom:

I agree with ECB.  People that know the MTB (and I'm assuming most people at her shower will know her) already have an idea of what she'll be able to take back with her.  If she gets a lot of bigger things then they can be shipped.  If they are off the registry they can be retunred for gift cards by the MTB and rebought when she gets home.

I think requesting gift cards only is really rude.  Why even bother with a shower.  Just send a note requsting gift cards to be mailed to such and such.  It's not like they are going to ohh and ahh over the MTB opening cards with gift cards in them.  If people ask what you or the MTB wants then it opens the opportunity to mention the travel problem.

I agree with the agreement!  And I ditto all of this.

It is INCREDIBLY rude to suggest that people should just buy gift cards.  You should see the joy people get from you opening up the little outfits they picked for you...or the things you registered for.

If people want to buy a gift card they will.

If you have to travel it is NOT AN EXCUSE to not get gifts!!  (Personal experience-I had a shower for my wedding where I traveled 2 states away and had to ship my gifts back.  Get over it - if you want gifts, deal with how to get them home.)

• no I haven't heard of it and would be appalled if I were invited to a gift card party
  • I agree with all pp I think this is rude. I was invited to a coworker's wedding shower that was a cash shower. I refused to go, if it would have been a normal shower I would have gladly gone.
  • imagebabyonthebrain2010:
    imageEastCoastBride:

If guests want the "convienence", they can get a gift card regardless if it's a "gift card" party or not.

AMEN!

I also agree!

White Knot
  • ctanactana member

imageK.a.T.e:
    no I haven't heard of it and would be appalled if I were invited to a gift card party

One million percent agree.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here's my major issue with a "gift card" shower; some people who attend the shower may not have a lot of money at the time and giving someone a $5.00 baby outfit would be much less humiliating then having to give someone a $5.00 gift card. I know I would be! It just won't sit well with most. Remember things can be shipped after the shower.
  • Some people who attend the shower may not have the best financial circumstances right and giving you a $5.00 outfit is much less humiliating then giving you a $5.00 gift card. You can always ship the gifts afterward and return unwanted items. 
  • So TACKY! If I was invited to a party like that. I would send them a book on Etiquette. LOL......... Actually that would be rude. I just wouldn't attend. 
  • imageEastCoastBride:

Agreed

• I think this is an extremely tacky idea.  "I want you to buy me a gift and spend money on me, but I don't trust your tastes"  What I found is that ESPECIALLY for baby showers, people love to pick out a cute gift and see you open it.  Then they REALLY love if you send them pictures of LO using/wearing their gift. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"