Adoption

Book recs (maybe a wierd ?)

I'm trying to find some good books on adoption (personal experiences) of people (minority, immigrant?) for DH to read.  We're still TTC but I've also gathered a lot of info on adoption & he's kind of scared I guess that I've "given up" on having bio kids.  Really, I don't care if I birth babies or not; I just want children.  He's open to adoption but is very unfamiliar with it; he had actually never met anyone adopted before he met my uncle who was adopted from Korea as a child during the 50's.  Anyone have any book recs written by folks who are minority or immigrant dealing with their adoption experiences?  Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Book recs (maybe a wierd ?)

• One of the best memoirs by an adoptee I've read is actually by a young lady who was adopted from the US foster care system:  Three Little Words, by Ashley Rhodes-Courter.  She is not a minority or immigrant, but it's a great book about her experiences and what it is like to be adopted as an older child.

I believe there are several books out there by adult Korean adoptees about their experiences... Some of these books may or may not be all happy, since many of the first generation of Korean adoptees encountered many problems with race, and their adoptive parents often did not address racial or cultural issues well (though they were usually well-intentioned).  You may want to try searching on Google or Amazon for something vague like "adoptee memoir" and see what you turn up.

• Is he wanting to read books from an adoptive parent's view, or from the adoptee's view? I'll have to think about this one...but, in my case, my dh is an immigrant from Pakistan, where adoption is not really something known about, but he pretty much grew up here, so it's not as much of a culture shock for him. I'll keep thinking about books, or even blogs or articles for your dh to take a look at.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageDragonfly_Bride:
    Is he wanting to read books from an adoptive parent's view, or from the adoptee's view? I'll have to think about this one...but, in my case, my dh is an immigrant from Pakistan, where adoption is not really something known about, but he pretty much grew up here, so it's not as much of a culture shock for him. I'll keep thinking about books, or even blogs or articles for your dh to take a look at.

I'm open to either, but I think books from the parent point of view would be most helpful.  My DH is from India & his lack of experience with adoption sounds similar to what you are talking about in Pakistan.  Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I read a great collection of experiences called "Labours of Love". ?It profiles many different adoptive families, and how the families were formed. ?There is even input from the children themselves, the birthmothers, and professionals.

https://www.amazon.com/Labours-Love-Canadians-About-Adoption/dp/1550028456/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277783922&sr=1-3

?

Left, Right
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"