North Carolina Babies

Consignment sale gurus

Now that we are leaning very heavily towards Maddie being a one and done, I've decided to go ahead and get rid of all of her baby stuff Crying. I have lots of gear and TONS of clothes. I've been to several consignment sales, but this will be my first time selling, so I'm wondering if there are general guidelines on pricing?

I figure with the nicer stuff (carseat, bouncer, play kitchen, etc), I'll price it like I would for CL and if it doesn't sell, I'll pick it back up. But with the clothes, I'd love for them to sell and I definitely want them gone. So I want them to be priced fairly enough that people will want to buy them.

Maddie certainly has some nicer stuff (Gap, Gymboree, etc) but the majority of her clothes are Old Navy, Target and Carter's. How would you price shirts/pants for those brands? I was thinking $2 if it looks new, $1 if you can tell it's been worn? Is that about right, or too much? Any other pricing guidelines that you follow?

I'm probably over thinking this, but our budget is SO tight right now, so I'm really hoping that I can make enough from consigning to pay for most of Maddie's birthday party/gifts.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Consignment sale gurus

• Is the consignment sale you are going to do have a 1/2 off day?  I participated in our preschool consignment sale.  It was Thursday, Friday and half day Sat.  Everything was half off Sat unless you marked it otherwise.

I priced my stuff trying to get a little bit more but keeping in mind that it could sell on the day for 1/2 off.  So some stuff sold the first two days.  I even priced some Carters sleepers for $3 and they sold either full price or half price.  I don't think I priced anything much more than $4 or $5.  But I do think it makes a difference if there is going to be a half off component b/c then you can try to price a little higher and then know that it still may be bought half off.  I was surprised that most of our clothes sold with the exception of a few things and I'm going to put them back in the sale in the Fall. But I would say most things I priced $2 or $3 and then if it was an outfit $4 or $5.  But I would probably put more on Gymboree type stuff especially if it was barely worn. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• I assume you're selling at the Kids Exchange coming up? Me too.. though not as much, I'm sure--just enough so I can shop early! I've only sold one other time, so take my advice FWIW! :-) I agree that I'd price baby gear like you would on CL.

For clothes, this is kind of what I do:

For brand new stuff, with tags (I've got a few of these), I will price it for about 50% of the price on the tag. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I have a God awful boutique getup that my aunt bought for Holly, still with the $37 price tag on it. I'm asking at least $15. Might be a stretch, but some people are really into that kind of stuff, and I figure it'll at least sell on the 50% off day.

For Target/Old Navy/Carters stuff in like-new condition, I plan to do $1 for knit pants, shorts, t-shirts, onesies that don't have anything else with them. Or, I'll group them together and ask $3 for two pairs of shorts, etc.. For dresses/rompers/outfits, I'd probably do $4-5. For sleepers, I'd do $3-4. Most people know that you can get some of this kind of stuff on sale for $3-4 a piece brand new, so I'd just keep that in mind when pricing.

For GAP/Gymboree/Ralph Lauren, etc, I will just add $1-2 to what I'd price the Target type stuff, depending on the item.

I did find that I think I priced stuff too low last time. Every bit of it sold (except for a onesie), and I was pricing new, with tags, Carter's/Belk dresses for like $5. If it's in good shape, don't be afraid to up the price a little. But don't be so proud that you're not willing to part with stuff for a reasonable price.

HTH! GL!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with your "gear" - price like on CL.

As for clothes, you might be selling yourself short especially on items that look new. I usually price things that look good $3-4 and stuff that looks worn $1-2(if it's an outfit). I rarely price things above $5. Remember that you'll only be making $0.50-0.65/dollar (I'm not sure what the split is for Kids Exchange), so make sure you price it to sell but that you'd also make some money.

How silly is it that I was a little sad when you said Maddie was a one & done :( 

• FWIW, I bought Ashley two Gymboree outfits at the consignment sale at the Morrisville outlets and both were priced at $10. One was a sundress with matching hat and the other was a pair of capris with a matching shirt. $10 seemed a little high, but they were super cute and in good condition. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"