D.C. Area Babies

Worried about effects of c-section on nursing. Any tips/stories/advice?

I posted a few days ago about how I have to have a c-section, and I'm not very happy about it.  I had DD vaginally, and after a long labor, she popped out with about 15 minutes of pushing.  She latched on and nursed like a pro right away.  I know I am one of the lucky ones since a lot of people have issues with nursing, and I am grateful for that experience.  

Now that I'm having a c-section with #2, I'm worried about how it will affect my bond and nursing with the baby.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I have a few friends who had major struggles with breastfeeding after their c-sections, but I'm not really sure if it was related, or just a coincidence.  Any insight is appreciated.  Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!

Re: Worried about effects of c-section on nursing. Any tips/stories/advice?

• We had a slow start to BFing, and I blame it in part on the 36 hours I labored before having my c/s.  If I hadn't been so darn exhausted, and then loopy from the surgery and meds, I might have been more able to focus on starting to BF.  If I had gone in for a c/s and didn't end up with the complications I had from a long labor followed by the surgery, I don't think we would have had such a rocky beginning.  That said, I am still BFing after 8 months, so we definitely worked through our initial issues.
    imageimageimage
  • I was devastated that I was unable to have unmediated vaginal delivery.  I was, however, able to nurse in the recovery room after they stitched me back up and had no problems w/breastfeeding (other than my daughters tight frenulum which was snipped after we left the hospital).  I have been nursing w/o ANY issues for almost 13 months now.  :-D 

I have read that some hospitals are allowing mothers to nurse in the operating room now while they are being stitched back up.  I am going to ask my midwives about this possibility should my attempt at a VBAC fail.  

imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I had no issues nursing after my C section.  DD was born, they whisked her away to clean her up and such and they sent me to a recovery area.  They brought her in there with me pretty soon after and they took her blood glucose.  It was super low (I had been in labor for a day and not eaten so I was not shocked) and they told me she had to have a bottle.  I think if her blood glucose had been normal they would have let me nurse her right there (probaby 45 mins after birth).  She had her bottle and was super happy.  Then she went away again to do more tests or bath or something and I got taken to my room.  She was born at 10:30am and we probably didn't get settled into our room until 2:00/3:00pm.  That was the first time I nursed her and she was a champ.  I don't think the hours in between birth and her nursing affected our bonding, or her nursing success at all.  I used a boppy and I never had any pain at my incision related to the way that she was sitting on me.  Football hold works really well after a C section.  You will do awesome!!  Good luck, Jenn
  • My only issue was DS's super short frenulum but I nursed him right away in my recovery room... no more than 30 or 40 mins after he was born.  I was on plenty of drugs that made me feel ok enough to do what I needed to do.  I wasn't entirely "with it" until I made it to the recovery room as I'm pretty sure they gave me one of those amnesia inducing drugs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD had trouble nursing the first day but after that she was a champ! It wasn't that she had a problem with latching. She caught on to that quickly the problem was finding a confortable position for her. I know that sounds strange but even after the lactation consultant came by she too agree that I had a little diva on my hands.  We finally found a postition she liked and it was all downhill from there. 
  • I had a c-section and I didn't have any nursing issues related to the c-section. I brought the boppy to the hospital and that helped. The main impact on me that the c-section had was that it just took a bit more time to recover.

I also had success with one of the compression belts similar to this which I bought it at Motherhood Maternity. For me, the belt helped to hold the incision area in and made me feel more secure in terms of not having that area shift very much, especially when riding in the car which was somewhat uncomfortable in the beginning.

I hope everything goes okay for you and that you have a speedy recovery.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I didn't try nursing DS until we were in our hospital room, but when I did try, he latched on right away.  I had a great nurse that first night who helped me get started.  The football hold worked best for us for the first week or so, until he got too big for that hold.  I did need DH's help to get DS out of the bassinet and into position before I was able to get out of bed and before I felt up to lifting DS.

Looking back, I could have nursed him in the recovery room.  I just felt like I didn't know what I was "allowed" to do.  One benefit of knowing that you have to have a c-section is that you can ask all these questions ahead of time and be prepared. 

I know I was lucky to have a good little latcher.  We're still going strong fourteen months later. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had a c-section and no problem nursing.  i was worried about it too and was told there's no relationship between a c-section and nursing issues.
  • imagevtkendra:

I had a c-section and I didn't have any nursing issues related to the c-section. I brought the boppy to the hospital and that helped. The main impact on me that the c-section had was that it just took a bit more time to recover.

I also had success with one of the compression belts similar to this which I bought it at Motherhood Maternity. For me, the belt helped to hold the incision area in and made me feel more secure in terms of not having that area shift very much, especially when riding in the car which was somewhat uncomfortable in the beginning.

I hope everything goes okay for you and that you have a speedy recovery.

Thanks!  I just ordered one on Amazon.  :-)

I appreciate all of the stories from everyone.  I feel a lot better about this aspect of my upcoming c-section experience. 

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • i had a c/s and wasn't reunited with my son for more than three hours post delivery (trip to the NICU). he nursed immediately when i got him back, and perfectly, and continued to do so for 2.5 years. we had no physical issues with those immediate hours/days.

i think in these situations, it is essential that the hospital staff know that you intend to breastfeed and that you insist on keeping the baby in your eyesight (or your husband's) at all times so that you can be assured baby does not get a paci or a bottle. your nipple must be the first thing that goes in baby's mouth.i personally think that introducing a paci or bottle at any time in the first few weeks is asking for trouble, but certainly in the first day it's a bad idea.

finding comfortable positions was difficult, but as i continued to heal and as we got more accustomed to each other, it became easier. i think it will be easier for you to start, since you have experience breastfeeding already.

i hate to say this, but i wish someone had warned me - i was consumed with guilt for taking post-surgical pain medication while nursing. it was the beginning of PPD for me. i can 100% trace it back to thoughts surrounding how i was poisoning my child with those medications. but the truth is, i wouldn't have been ok without them. i know that i had no other choice, but that doesn't make it sit any better with me. so, be prepared for that, and accept that in that case, the benefit (to you) outweighs any potential harm (to the baby).

• another thought - you should email the local ICAN leader and ask her if she has any resources for you. explain your situation and i'm sure she'll know of people you can talk to, books, tips for the big day, adjusting/recovery, etc. www.icanofnova.org to find her address.

G/L, and i'm super sorry that you have to have a c/s. there was not a single thing that i enjoyed about that experience or recovery. but perhaps if i'd known i was going to have one, i could have mentally/emotionally prepared better. you have that chance now.

• one thing about a c-s and BFing is that it might be harder to find a good position once the drugs wear off b/c you'll be so sore down there. You are also bed-ridden for about 24hrs. I had 2 c-s(es), the 1st was an emergency and I did not nurse DD until I was in my recovery room. We had lots of issues and my milk took 2-3 days to come in. She was jaundiced and lost a lot of weight so I had to supplmenent on days 2 and 3 of her life. But after that, she was able to nurse just fine, til 14 mo old!

DS was a scheduled c-s, nursing in the recovery room was not an option at Reston H. However, they put him on the breast immediately after they wrapped in blankets, he was not even 10 minutes old, while they were stiching me up. It was one of the best things about this birth experience. Reston now has many female nurse anesthesiologists who really support this (was not the case when I had DD 20mo ago) and they are more than happy to do it. Now, granted, DS did not do much but at least he was on the boob, the nurse did everything, pinched my nipple, squeezed, etc. He remained skin-to-skin (DH was holding him) for the remainder of my surgery (tubes tied and getting sewed up). I have not had to supplement at all, we have lots of other issues with BFing this time around, but none of them are c-s related.

I too was worried about taking the meds and nursing but everyone says they have no effect. However, I was off percoset w/n 3 days both times. It can make the baby sleepy, making it harder for him/her to nurse. I took aleve for a couple more days but was off all meds before DS was 1 week old. (My OB is an excellent surgeon and did a phenomenal job both times; pick an OB who is an experienced surgeon).

• I had a c/s and didn't have any problems nursing. They brought DS to me in the recovery room and he latched right on. I also didn't have any problems finding a good position.  I thinking using the boppy really helped.
  • ditto kendra on the support belt. I had the belly bandit and it made moving around so much easier! I have only had a c-section so I have nothing to compare it to but I feel like my recovery was easy (I was walking around the next morning and only took tylenol after the 1st 24 hours) and my bfing issues had to do with DDs high palate. I did have a huge supply and was able to start pumping at the hospital and give her all she needed.

best of luck! 

• imagesmacb:
    I had a c-section and no problem nursing.  i was worried about it too and was told there's no relationship between a c-section and nursing issues.

eek! who told you this? it's not true! there is indeed a strong correlation between surgical birth and establishing nursing. i have not read or heard that there is anything physically different about moms who birth babies surgically or that surgical birth delays milk production, so there must be something that happens at the birth that impacts establishment of breastfeeding.

if you talk to a LC or visit kellymom.com (and probably ICAN too, though i haven't looked for it there), there is information available about how to reduce the likelihood of experiencing problems nursing following c/s. there are many things that can hamper establishing breastfeeding, including introduction of a paci (which often happens b/c mom is in recovery for a while and baby goes to the nursery, where baby cries and nurses put a paci in baby's mouth), baby has ill effects from the drugs used in surgery, mom has ill effects from the drugs used in surgery, mental/emotional blocks from mom. 

additionally, moms who have c/s don't bond as quickly with their babies as moms who have vaginal births (not every mom, i had no problems, i'm sure others didn't as well -- BUT, i didn't have my baby for several hours after birth. had he come out vaginally, i would have been able to put him on the breast immediately).

trouble establishing breastfeeding following a surgical birth is a valid concern. to say that there is no correlation is not in keeping with the evidence.

• DD never left my sight and DH held her the entire time we were in the OR and when we were wheeled out- she was in my arms. When we returned to the labor and delivery room, the nurses really encouraged me to try and BF and they never took her anywhere. I did have an epidural but the only issue I had with the drugs was sharp shoulder pain. I never saw a pacifier and I definitely did not have bonding issues. 

If you have any questions about the surgery or anything- feel free to email me at toreybATgmail

• Like PP I didn't have any issues related to breastfeeding and my c/s other than finding a comfortable position.  I didn't try to nurse until about 2 hours after my surgery, but I also had to be completely knocked out because I was in labor for 30 hours before the c/s and pretty much fell apart on the table.  I could have nursed in recovery but we had so much family there I just wasn't comfortable.  We had plenty of other issues related to BFing, but none cause by my c/s.  We went on to nurse for 17 months.
  • My c-section was scheduled for Jan 8th and my due date was Jan 15th.  The way my contractions were going, if we didn't have him on the 8th, he probably would have arrived on the 10th.  We BF'd for about 4 weeks and my supply just never came in.  Total disappointment and it took me a while to come to terms with it, but now I really does not seem like an issue. 

We had no trouble bonding whatsoever.  Remember, you have a nine month head start on that before they even arrive! :)

• Sorry, hit post too early. My point was that my issues with BFing were more due to my biology not my C-section.
  • I didn't read all the other posts, but I was SO worried about this before my C-section.  I didn't get to see DS until hours after he was born, so I was very concerned that it would be an issue, plus all the meds, etc.

Anyway, I had absolutely no issues related to my C-section.  My milk came in fine and DS was able to nurse all the way to 13 months old.

So, don't worry about the C-section being an issue!  (We had some other issues, but they were completely unrelated).  Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"