2nd Trimester
Options

Oh. Talk me down people.

I fell in love with the Mia Bossi Lyndsey diaper bag. I want it.

Re: Oh. Talk me down people.

• Options

I googled them and they look very nice, and if you can afford it - go for it :) That said, what happens if you're out and your baby has explosive poop and you need to take home poopy clothes and the bottles leak and smell and the lid falls off your baby food jars?

hows that? :)

• Options
    Those bags are beautiful!! But the price...whew! Back away from the bagSmile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageBeanie_mrt:

Here's my effort: buying a $1,000 diaper bag is the most financially irresponsible thing I've ever heard.

This. 

"To me, you are perfect."

• Options
    I love the Reese Tangerine!  The Lyndsey is really cute too! 
  • Options
    imageBeanie_mrt:

Here's my effort: buying a $1,000 diaper bag is the most financially irresponsible thing I've ever heard.

Oy vey. Here it goes again.

• Options
    DLD102DLD102 member

Link??

ETA: I'm sorry, but I'm out of touch...who is Mia Bossi? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby #3! BFP 10/20/12 EDD 6/27/13
  • Options
    image**Octoberbride09**:
    imageBeanie_mrt:

I too love this bag. Check out Ebay. u can get it for way cheaper. That's one option

• Options
    imageDLD102:

Link??

https://www.miabossi.com/store/index.php?l=product_list&c=13

• Options
    LCB34LCB34 member

Given the fact that you were just freaking out about money and finances not 2 days ago I would step away from the $1,000 diaper bag.

Not to mention you love to talk about the LV you already have. Two super pricey diaper bags seems a bit excessive no matter how well off one may be.

ETA: I see that it may only be $300 - still a bit much given the freak out you had and everything else you've been posting about.

• Options
    imageDLD102:

Link??

a diaper bag designer

• Options
    DLD102DLD102 member
    image**Octoberbride09**:
    imageDLD102:

Link??

https://www.miabossi.com/store/index.php?l=product_list&c=13

It's cute!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby #3! BFP 10/20/12 EDD 6/27/13
  • Options
    imageBeanie_mrt:

Does it cost that much? I'm coming up with $250-300...
  • Options

I say you buy whatever you want and can afford! Its YOUR money and YOU have to pay for it and use it!

For some people $1,000 for a baby bag may be out of there financial way, but if it is not for you and you want it. Get it!

• Options
    imageLCB34:

Given the fact that you were just freaking out about money and finances not 2 days ago I would step away from the $1,000 diaper bag.

Not to mention you love to talk about the LV you already have. Two super pricey diaper bags seems a bit excessive no matter how well off one may be.

Perhaps you should go back and read my follow up post about money. I was never b!tching or complaining about lack of money.

Now that we got that out of the way the Mia bossi bag is 299. It's on sale at Gilt for $125.

And yes I do have an LV diaper bag that I also use as a purse.

• Options
    imageMissNikki007:
    imageBeanie_mrt:

Does it cost that much? I'm coming up with $250-300...

This. Where are you looking that it says 1000?

• Options
    imageBeanie_mrt:
    image**Octoberbride09**:
    imageBeanie_mrt:

Dude!  You were just freaking out about not being able to live on one income and today you post this!

And, you asked us to talk you down.

Sigh. Here you go. Maybe you should give it another read.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/38636607.aspx

When you find the part where I mention that we can't live off of one income you let me know.

• Options
    I personally dont see anything great about the bag but that's just me. Not quite sure what in the world makes it so damn expensive unless its going to wipe my baby's butt for me. That being said...to each his own I guess. If you feel that is worth spending money on...knock yourself out I guess.
  • Options

I say go for it if you love it! It's "for the baby" LOL That's what I tell my DH.

Better than my new want (not need)... I have been dying for some cute aviators... they don't look great on me but I found a pair of Ray Ban's that I am in LOVE with. I am obsessing!

• Options
    I don't know anything about her posting about finances but I say that you do that thing where you divide the price of the item by the number of times you use it. When you do it that way it doesn't seem as expensive if its something you'll be using a lot, Which if it's a diaper bag will be a lot. I'm also of the thought that you get what you pay for, so it should be a sturdy bag that will last through your baby's diaper bag needing years and bonus! after that it looks like a reg bag so you could use it way after. Don't flame me. Just my humble humble opinion
  • Options
    I don't give a shiit if it costs $12, $125 or $1000 - I just don't think it's that cute.
  • Options
    If you can get it on sale for $125 go for it! All the diapers bags I've seen at Target that are remotely cute are $80+ so I don't see the difference in spending a few more dollars. You are going to be carrying this thing around for a long time, you might as well like it!
  • Options

Ok, I'll try to talk you down: in looking at the link, it seems like you fell in love with the price tag/telling people the price tag more than the diaper bag itself.  There doesn't seem to be anything special about it to me...  If I were you I'd buy a cheaper (but not cheap) bag and if you still want to burn the difference, then put it toward something else for your LO or donate it.

• Options
    imageBeanie_mrt:
    image**Octoberbride09**:
    imageBeanie_mrt:
    image**Octoberbride09**:
    imageBeanie_mrt:

Dude!  You were just freaking out about not being able to live on one income and today you post this!

And, you asked us to talk you down.

Sigh. Here you go. Maybe you should give it another read.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/38636607.aspx

When you find the part where I mention that we can't live off of one income you let me know.

You confuse me sometimes.

I was thinking of the post that preceeded this, where you said that your DH was being wishy washy about you leaving work early and you were freaking out about living on one income. 

I'm glad you guys got it worked out.

But I still think paying that much for a diaper bag is ridiculous. 

On my second post I thought I had clearly explained what I thought was my DH being wishy washy about me leaving work a month early. He wasn't. He just didn't think it was a big deal so no need to discuss and scrutinize the situation. To him it was a done deal and he just wasn't giving me the time of day.

Now, do I still freak out about money? Yes, but not because I worry about living off of one income but rather because I don't ever want to feel like I'm mooching off my husband while he works hard and I don't ever want him to feel like that's what I'm doing (I doubt he'd ever think that) I still have that issue. I'm sure i'll get over it once I've been home for a while but in my head do I still wory about being viewed as "lazy, SAHM who doesn't carry her own weight and is worth less than a working mom" yes, I do. But I'm realizing that most new SAHM's have felt that way at one time or another.

• Options
    imageslwhatley:
    imageSammyJJo:

Ok, I'll try to talk you down: in looking at the link, it seems like you fell in love with the price tag/telling people the price tag more than the diaper bag itself.  There doesn't seem to be anything special about it to me...  If I were you I'd buy a cheaper (but not cheap) bag and if you still want to burn the difference, then put it toward something else for your LO or donate it.

I kind of agree with this. I mean, why not just post a photo of the bag? It seems like posting the designer name so we could all go google it and discover the price is just kind of AW. 

Mia Bossi is a pretty popular diaper bag. They even sell them at Gap. I sent a link to DLD with the manufacturers website because she asked what the hell or who the hell mia bossi was. I sent her that link so that she can check out any of the other bags Mia Bossi made. I quickly corrected someone who thought the bag was 1k. I clearly said I found it on sale (at gilt) and the price (125) not much of a difference from the price of a lot of diaper bags that are also popular. Pickle petunias is it? Yet, when someone posts about a pick petunia bag no one lashes out about boasting? WHY? because it's a freaking popular bag!

• Options
    LCB34LCB34 member
    imageslwhatley:
    imageSammyJJo:

I kind of agree with this. I mean, why not just post a photo of the bag? It seems like posting the designer name so we could all go google it and discover the price is just kind of AW. 

Agreed.

Especially when she later mentioned that she is buying it at a discount from gilt. 

• Options

I don't think $125 is terrible, but I think you could get something nicer for the money if you bought a regular tote and separately purchased a fold-up changing pad. It seems like anything labeled as a "diaper bag" gets instantly marked up in price.

Don't get me wrong...it is cute, but there's no way I ever would have guessed it retails for $300 if you hadn't posted the link. It doesn't look that expensive.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    ames71ames71 member
    Price and your financial situation aside, I don't see the big deal about this bag. It looks pretty run-of-the-mill to me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLCB34:
    imageslwhatley:
    imageSammyJJo:

Agreed.

Especially when she later mentioned that she is buying it at a discount from gilt. 

This is amusing coming from somone who talks so much and so often about how expensive your baby gear is. You even go as far as calling gracos "cheap, awful.. etc etc" I think most people who have been around on this board will agree that you my dear are no stranger to name dropping when it comes to baby gear.

• Options
    imageLCB34:
    imageslwhatley:
    imageSammyJJo:

Agreed.

This is amusing coming from somone who talk so much and so often about how expensive your baby gear is. You even go as far as calling gracos "cheap, awful.. etc etc" I think most people who have been around on this board will agree that you my dear are no stranger to name dropping when it comes to baby gear.

• Options

I'll answer your original question. If you like the MB bag and can get it for $125, why the heck not? Personally, I don't love the bag, but the Gilt price seems like a good deal. Then again, this is from some one who bought 3 higher end bags with #1. :)

BTW, I love the LV bag you are using. I hope you plan on getting a purse organizer to go inside of it bc otherwise things will get so lost and disorganized. .

• Options

Yikes, I know how you feel, all of the super cute stuff seems to be the top of the line expensive stuff.

I say if you still like it when the baby comes get it, but only if it's because you LOVE it and not the brand or the name.

I have LOVED Bugaboo strollers for about 3 years, and have been saving my extra spending money for one since we started trying a year before conception. I know it's a $1,000 but I  have justified it and saved the money separate from our normal finances so I am okay with purchasing.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MAtoMNMAtoMN member
    Seems pretty simple to me...buy the bag if you want it and can afford it, don't buy the bag if you can't afford it.  Who cares?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagevictoria1977:

I'll answer your original question. If you like the MB bag and can get it for $125, why the heck not? Personally, I don't love the bag, but the Gilt price seems like a good deal. Then again, this is from some one who bought 3 higher end bags with #1. :)

BTW, I love the LV bag you are using. I hope you plan on getting a purse organizer to go inside of it bc otherwise things will get so lost and disorganized. .

I had no idea they even made these things! You are a genius!!! I do need one. That purse is so big I've thought about losing stuff in it all the time. I have a smaller bag now and I still lose everything in it so i can only imagine when I'm walking around with a huge bag and not only carrying my stuff but LO's too!

• Options
    image**Octoberbride09**:
    imagevictoria1977:

I had no idea they even made these things! You are a genius!!! I do need one. That purse is so big I've thought about losing stuff in it all the time. I have a smaller bag now and I still lose everything in it so i can only imagine when I'm walking around with a huge bag and not only carrying my stuff but LO's too!

I can't take credit for it. Someone posted this link a long time ago and it works so well in terms of taking regular bags and using them for diaper bags.

https://www.pursesitter.com/purse-organizer/pursein.htm

• Options
    LCB34LCB34 member
    image**Octoberbride09**:

This is amusing coming from somone who talks so much and so often about how expensive your baby gear is. You even go as far as calling gracos "cheap, awful.. etc etc" I think most people who have been around on this board will agree that you my dear are no stranger to name dropping when it comes to baby gear.

I have no desire to fight the ?who is more materialistic? fight with you.

If someone asks about something I have - I will respond - just like I will when someone asks about cribs, car seats, high chairs, or anything else.  If I have it, or have done significant research on it, I'll share my opinion. Because my husband and I are financially stable and have saved for this eventuality for the past two years, our items will be on the higher end, who cares? 

That?s what we have determined to buy and I?m sorry if you disagree with my choices.

• Options

I don't understand this discussion.  Maybe its because I don't have many girlfriends, I don't know how to play the game.

If someone asked me to "talk them down" I'd give them reasons why not to do something, assuming that they want confirmation to go with their inclination not to, rather than their desire to do/buy something.

I see the above posters giving decent reasons in response to your request to be "talked down" but in return, you're giving snippy retorts.  Like I said, I don't get the game. 

You seem like you want people to tell you to buy this thing.  If that's what you wanted, why did you ask for contraindications?

As for me, I make plenty of $$ and still had given myself four years to put my financial and career affairs in order before having a baby so that I didn't have to stress about the money.  (This training comes from a time when I had no money at all-- no place to live and no hope, really, that things would ever get better).  Even with all of my savings, I don't see the point in spending more money on something when I can get a comparably functional item for less, and save that money for an unforseen something, like a car repair or a health emergency.

There are people who derive their self-esteem from status items and need to have things people recognize as expensive so that they feel good about themselves.  Personally, I see that as a sign of personal weakness of character and morality.  I cringe when I see parents decked out in things that scream Coach and LV and Juicy-- makes me wonder what type of values they're teaching their kids.  Will these kids be the next generation in tremendous debt because they were brought up to believe that a label makes things better and makes you more likeable or important?

You don't see classy celebrities and other wealthy people decking out in obvious designer-label stuff.  Only the "new money" celebrities rock stars go all for the flash of label stuff because they have something to prove.  It's tacky. Classiness comes from inner self-confidence and awareness of quality, not obsession with letting other people know how good you have it.

So yeah, there's my reasons not to--

1) There are diaper bags that are cost-effective and durable. 

2) Life is uncertain, and if you can get a really good bag for $80, you're saving $70, which is a hospital emergency co-pay and medication or half of a new tire. If an emergency happens and you're short cash to cover yourself, you'll feel like a fool for spending so much on something that didn't warrant that cost.

3) Designer stuff that is recognizable as designer is tacky, and it can say that you're more interested in flash than substance, which is a poor first impression to make (even if you're not shallow and appearance-obsessed).

• Options
    imageLCB34:
    image**Octoberbride09**:

I have no desire to fight the ?who is more materialistic? fight with you.

If someone asks about something I have - I will respond - just like I will when someone asks about cribs, car seats, high chairs, or anything else.  If I have it, or have done significant research on it, I'll share my opinion. Because my husband and I are financially stable and have saved for this eventuality for the past two years, our items will be on the higher end, who cares? 

That?s what we have determined to buy and I?m sorry if you disagree with my choices.

I don't diagree with your choice nor have I ever flamed you for them. If you haven't noticed we have the same car seat, similar priced stroller, have registered for similar or same baby items etc. I understand your reasoning for buying said baby items because they are the same reasons I buy them. You're not the only one who has saved for a baby.

What I disagree and called you out on was saying that I was "AW" the MB bag by posting a direct link to the manufacturs website to someone who asked for it and not posting a pic( I thought they were as popular as the pickle petunia bags and didn't see the need to post a pic) Especially when I have never once made any mention about "how my things are so much better... whoo look at me. Let me AW!"

• Options

imageslwhatley:
    Meh. It doesn't seem all that special to me, but I'm not really into bags, especially not diaper bags.

This.

• Options
    Eh, i am not a fan of it. Its got nothing to do with the price tag, i fell in love with a Kate Spade Bag, so i'm not one to judge on cost. Though i will probably wait to go to the outlet stores on major sale days. The bag i have my eye on i should be able to get for under a hundred on a July 4th Sale. Anywho, if your finding it on Gilt, (i heart that site) I say go for it. Everyone has their guilty pleasures in life. As long as your LO has everything they need, i see no harm.
  • Options

I thought you said you wanted people to talk you down. lol

weird.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"