XP- Flying with dog — The Bump
Military Families

XP- Flying with dog

We are moving July 7th to San Diego, CA from northern IL for the Navy. We had very little notice and only have 5 days to make the move so we are flying instead of driving. We will only be living there for 1-3 months since my husband will be getting deployed till sometime next year so DS, myself and our dog (4 year old Schnauzer/Poodle mix) will be moving to Texas to live with my mom while DH is gone. 

Due to all this craziness my mom offered to take Toby (our dog) while we are in San Diego so he won't have to make two trips in such a short amount of time. I know it's not ideal but he gets car sick so the least amount of travel for him the better. So we were thinking about flying him down to my mom before we move. Just wondering if anyone has flown a pet and had any tips on airlines? He is to big to be on the plane so unfortunately he will have to be in cargo. I really wish there was a better option but there aren't many right now. Any help would be appreciated TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP- Flying with dog

• NSLNSL member

I've flown with our dog (in cargo) and it worked just fine.  Call the airline (I think I flew Delta last time) and ask them what you need in terms of shot records, a kennel, etc... for the dog.  Your vet should be able to help you with the paperwork. 

Be forewarned that many airlines will not allow pets to fly in cargo if the outside temperature on the ground in the departure city is over 85 degrees.

• Loading the player...
  • imageNSL:

Be forewarned that many airlines will not allow pets to fly in cargo if the outside temperature on the ground in the departure city is over 85 degrees.

This.  Also, some airlines have a pet embargo May 15 - September 15 regardless of the temp.  Some will lift the embargo, if you are on PCS orders, but I don't know if that will work, since your dog isn't PCS-ing with you. I think some airlines won't accept the dog, if you aren't flying on that same flight, so that's another thing to consider.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Loading the player...
  • I had two dogs fly with us from Tokyo to Tampa (United I think?) in cargo. They were perfectly fine down there. I think I was more of a wreck than they were?!?! Also, depending on the type of dog, some airlines wont let them fly at all due to the temps like PP have mentioned. I flew in May (hot in FL) and it was fine.
  • Just wanted to add to save the paperwork on flying the dog.  You can claim it on your taxes as a form of moving cost that the military didn't cover and get some or all of it back!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSarahbear621:
    Just wanted to add to save the paperwork on flying the dog.  You can claim it on your taxes as a form of moving cost that the military didn't cover and get some or all of it back!

Sweet! Thanks!!!! We are having him fly Continental next weekend so yah I am sure I will be more of a mess then him! lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards