2nd Trimester
Options

pregnant babysitting... **vent** kinda long...

so i am extra easily irritated and hormonal...... i am having to practice counting to 10 and breathing....... its not working!!!!!! this is the first night that i am watching his kid. he is 5 and under normal conditions i think everything would be just fine. but as it is.... he is driving me nuts!!! i know that kids have to learn the rules of your house and you in turn need to be a little leniant because its a new environment. i understand this....... but it taking a little more time and patience than i have. and the sad thing is that its little things that are bugging me. i guess my family is a little more laid back and not very hyper and this kid is running around like a chicken with his head cut off!!

breathe.......  then he is a bit more rough and tumble with my 7 month old puppy. a chihuahua i might add...... my puppy is a very fragile dog and he does not get that. i have told him many times that he needs to be more careful, not listening...... breathe....... now.... in addition to those normally not too infuriating circumstances.... he is not listening to what i tell him that pertains to my house rules.... like... puppy does not go upstairs. puppy's toy cow does not go upstairs. he has taken the toy cow halfway up the stairs 4 times now.... the last time i just looked at him and he brought it back down. so obviously he knows that is was wrong.

i am hoping that i will figure out a way to get through this... which i must have to.... because i will watching this kid 3 nights a week, 8 hours a day.

so anyone got any advice for me?? how to calm down better, or what i should do, help....

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: pregnant babysitting... **vent** kinda long...

• Options
    You need to talk to the parent about this situation first...  Set your rules/boundaries and stick to them.  If the child disobeys, it is up to you to enforce YOUR rules.  A simple time out works most often with my nieces/nephews.  I have come to the comment " I am only going to say this one time..." and explain why.  EX: your puppy.  For the safety of your puppy, he can not be rough and tough on him.  If he does, don't let him play with your puppy.  My DH's friends kids are not aloud around my cat.  Ever.  Period.  They don't abide by my rules, they're not aloud to play.  They are however aloud to play with my dog, because they do not torture her.  Good luck. 
  • Options
    thanks i will do that....  as for now...... he fell asleep. ahhhhhhhh....... peace and quiet.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am a nanny to a 4 & a 2 year old 40hrs/week or more. It does take a little bit to get them to learn your house rules. I would talk to the parents & ask them if they have anything against you "putting him on the naughty chair" when he does something he knows he isn't supposed to do. Then pick a spot where you put a chair when he is there & that would be his naughty chair. I did this with the kids I babysit now (I have watched them for over year). It took a while, I won't lie, but they are VERY good about rules now. They listen to me better than their own parents because they know they will have consequences when I'm there (their parents don't give them any boundaries). GL! :) 

• Options

Peeking in from first tri...

Hope your night improved. It's probably too late for any advice I might give, but I teach 5 year olds and my best advice should you need it for future times, is: don't be afraid to set firm limits and enforce them. Even 4 and 5 year olds are perfectly capable of following rules and directions if you give them like you mean it. Tell him exactly what you expect and stand firm. For example: "Be gentle with the puppy or you will not get to pet him anymore tonight." If he gets too rough one time, take the puppy away and tell him that he can try again next time but there is no more puppy play for tonight.

He is testing you to see if you will stop him from breaking the rules. When he takes the toy up the stairs, he's doing it to see what you will do. If you let him, he will continue to push the limits. If you immediately and calmly take the toy away and say, "I asked you not to take that upstairs. Since you chose to do it anyway, I'm going to put this toy away now."

Kids are great at pushing the limits and I actually think they need the firmest hand at the beginning, rather than a gentler touch because he's "getting used to new surroundings."  I say, one warning, and then a logical consequence.

He can earn more freedom by trying to follow the rules/expectations. Good luck! Hope that made sense!

• Options
    Set up a time-out area and some specific rules.  A six year old has probably been in school for one to two years now; he knows what he's doing and is perfectly capable of following your rules. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"