Multiples
Options

Should I be worried?

We had an ultrasound today.I'm almost 14 weeks We saw the twins and the doctor confirmed that they are fraternal. He also noticed there is only one placenta. He didn't seem overly worried about it, just that he wants me to have an ultrasound by the head of Maternal Fetal Depart. in a few weeks. As of right now the babies are growing at the same rate. I haven't found a lot of info on this subject. Should I be worried? Anyone else been through this?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Should I be worried?

• Options
    That doesn't make sense; as far as I know, if they share a placenta then they are ID. Are you sure it's not two placentas that fused? (Mine fused, but at the 12w u/s they could tell they were di/di.)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    This is the first time they looked at the placenta, but he said he only saw one. He also told us that they will watch to make sure one twin doesn't grow faster and take more blood from the other
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would be worried about how trustworthy your doctor is.  Even if there are two placentas, they wouldn't be able to know if they are ID or fraternal unless they are b/g
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Impossible to be fraternal and have one placenta, unless they're fused and it appears to be one placenta. (Appears being operative word.)
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options

i just did some google searching and it is EXTREMELY rare to have one placenta for fraternal babies.

chances are it looks like one but is two that fused.

also- unless he knows it's b/g then there's no way to know 100% that they are not ID - so this doc doesn't sound too bright. I'd be more worried about that.

• Options
    Maybe you misunderstood the doc. Lots of times you get so much information thrown at you it's hard to take it all in. As the above posts said, there is no way to tell that they are fraternal unless they are B/G. Also, unless their placentas fused, with one placenta they are ID. 
  • Options
    The doc told us because of the large thick membrane in between them, that they are fraternal. I did find an article from 2003 that said they have found that fraternal twins can have one placenta but its rare. Is it a possiblility that since I am almost 14 wks, the placenta fused and they can't tell that?
  • Options

imageLemondrop:
    The doc told us because of the large thick membrane in between them, that they are fraternal. I did find an article from 2003 that said they have found that fraternal twins can have one placenta but its rare. Is it a possiblility that since I am almost 14 wks, the placenta fused and they can't tell that?

I think that a large thick membrane is more commonly seen in fraternal pregnancies and one placenta is generally seen in ID pregnancies. So in your case, who knows. But in the end generally the only confirmation is B/G or after they are born. It is possible that the placenta fused too.  

• Options

Was your u/s with your OB or the maternal fetal dept? I would get a 2nd opinion on this..I am not expert but if there is one placenta, they would not be fraternal. Maybe there are 2 placenta but he didn't see the separating membrane?

congrats on your pregnancy!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"