2nd Trimester
Options

Cervical length check question

Hi ladies - I'm jumping over from 1st tri because I thought maybe some of you had gone through this already.

I start my bi-weekly cervical length checks this week and I'm wondering what is involved.  When I checked with the OB he said that it was just a normal transvag u/s that they would use to get the length measurement.  As I'm doing a little research online though I'm reading several women complain that they are pretty brutal.

I've never had any problems with t/v ultrasounds before - can anyone give me any insight as to what else may be involved?

Thanks!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cervical length check question

• Options
    I get them done it's not a big deal it's only an U/S.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DLD102DLD102 member

Out of my 5 u/s to check cervical length, only one has been trans-vag.  And they're not a big deal . . . normally, they don't hurt.  It's when you get a bitter tech first thing in the morning that you might have to be worried.

GL!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby #3! BFP 10/20/12 EDD 6/27/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Please forgive my ignorance and nosiness, but bi-weekly cervical check?  Is it common to do them that often?
  • Options

Thanks guys!  Not that it would have changed anything anyway, but I was trying my best to be prepared if it felt something like the time they tried to manually (think knitting needle) dilate my cervix for a pap smear. 

I would have told my DH to leave the room at least. 

• Options

imagecmeyer76:
    Please forgive my ignorance and nosiness, but bi-weekly cervical check?  Is it common to do them that often?

You got me.  This is my first.  I had cervical cancer so it's possible they are doing it more often than normal I suppose.

BTW, I'm using bi-weekly in the 'every other week' sense.  I remember a huge debate in college english over which was proper, so maybe I was confusing. 

• Options
    cadencaden member
    I always get a trans-vag u/s. that's no big deal. Sometimes the OB does a manual exam too. It's not fun but definitely not a big deal. It's quick.
  • Options

Ummm... its not brutal at all.

I've also read women find manual exams brutal but I guess thats just my opinion that I think it's just "whatever"

It is the same old same old... Painless. 

- - - - Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit The Knot! image image Visit The Knot!
  • Options

I had mine at the perinatal center (not at my OB's office) and didn't know what to expect either.  I'd never had a prior transvaginal u/s.

The tech left me with a sheet and told me to take my pants and undies off and lay on the table.  When she came back, she told me to put my legs up and grab under the sheet.  She handed me the well lubed wand with a condom on it under the sheet (so she didn't look at my vag) and told me to insert it about an inch.  Then she took over.

Piece of cake.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options
    I understood your use of bi-weekly Smile 
  • Options

It depends on the tech.  I've had two that were a breeze and one that was painful.  I'm guessing the tech had never had one herself before and therefore did not know what she was doing. 

I had a cone biopsy done ten years ago and they check the length for me because the surgery could have compromised the length of my cervix.  I was cleared last week (huge sigh of relief!).  If you have questions about why they are doing all the ultrasounds ask them.  I knew ahead of time that it could be an issue, so I wasn't surprised.  Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

hm... I have been checked once for the length and it was borderline (2.6 cm). Why do you get it checked bi-weekly? Can it get shorter?

My doctor hasn't said anything about checking mine again, even though it is borderline short. I am worried...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"