2nd Trimester
Options

90% sure it's a girl.. wth!?!?

LOL This is such a pointless gripe, since I just found out my baby is healthy and my pregnancy looks great - most important to me. But my DH and I have been going through some frustrating things trying to find out the sex of our baby.

We were supposed to find out on Friday at my 19 wk exam. The doctor's office called us Thursday night to tell us the doctor had to reschedule due to a family emergency. Which was fine. I was super disappointed and cried ALOT (we were planning on telling family on Father's Day), but I understand things happen.

The weekend was so long and took FOREVER and my rescheduled appt. was this morning with a different doctor. We waited an hour after the scheduled appt. time (I was literally shaking from nervous/excited energy) and then we finally saw the doctor and he said that he's "90% sure it's a girl" but doesn't want to say for sure until my 20 wk anatomy scan.

I would love a girl or a boy, but the not knowing definitively is KILLING me!!

Has anyone else been in this situation where the doctor/tech wouldn't say with 100% certainty you were having a boy or a girl? Were they right or wrong?

Thanks!! 

Re: 90% sure it's a girl.. wth!?!?

• Options
    Why did they do an u/s at 19w when they are doing the anatomy scan at 20w?  There is no 100% until the baby is born so it's unlikely you will get any doctor to tell you that they are positive.  With us, they were as sure as they could possibly be at this point - and I hope they are right, otherwise we will have a little boy with a lot of purple stuff!  But there is never a guarantee in untero

What Are Your Thoughts on Tap Dancing Penguins?

• Options
    It's not 100% until you pop out your baby and can see for yourself that it's a girl.  Go buy a pink dress!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not to rain on your parade but that is a fairly common assessment to give a percentage since they can never be 'definite' of the sex, especially for a girl when they are looking for an absence of something. Sometimes they are wrong and my tech never said for certain we were having a girl but she is pretty sure, so it's never 100 % but 90% is pretty damn good, congrats!
  • Options
    Um I'm sure a lot of people have been through this..just wait the week and calm down!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersPhotobucket
  • Options
    If you are having your anatomy scan at 20wks, why were they giving you an u/s today?  I am confused.
  • Options
    You're right - this is a pointless gripe.  It's one more week.  I would think you'd rather have the doctor be 100% right before you started painting everything pink. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSarabeth328:

I was super disappointed and cried ALOT (we were planning on telling family on Father's Day), but I understand things happen.

And WTF is up with this??? Clearly you don't "understand things happen."

Dude, get a grip!

• Options

imagemax1563:
    Um I'm sure a lot of people have been through this..just wait the week and calm down!

This.  It won't kill you.  I promise.  Wink

• Options

imagewife1014:
    If you are having your anatomy scan at 20wks, why were they giving you an u/s today?  I am confused.

This.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    imagemax1563:
    imageSarabeth328:

I was super disappointed and cried ALOT (we were planning on telling family on Father's Day), but I understand things happen.

Dude, get a grip!

• Options
    imagelilmgirl:
    imagemax1563:
    imageSarabeth328:

Dude, get a grip!

LOVE this, and that blog was hilarious! 

• Options

Thanks for the responses - they're definitely making me feel better. I didn't realize that nobody really gets a 100% either way. But it does make sense!

I was due to see my doctor for my monthly exam (which happened to be 19 wk) and I get an ultrasound at his office at each visit, so I guess that's why one was done even though I need to go to the hospital to get my 20 wk anatomy scan.

Thanks again for the comments! I really appreciate it! xo 

• Options
    No doctor would tell you that they are 100% sure what your baby is until they are born...I think mine told us they were 80% sure with DD that she was a girl and indeed she was...90% is a great number and I would feel confident that we could paint the walls pink with that statistic...congrats on your healthy baby girl!
  • Options
    I do understand things happen and I'm usually a very calm and laid back person. But I'm pregnant and have been much more emotional than usual lately. Thanks for your comment.  
  • Options

imagelilmgirl:
    You're right - this is a pointless gripe.  It's one more week.  I would think you'd rather have the doctor be 100% right before you started painting everything pink. 

The point wasn't to start painting everything pink, it was that I wanted to know so I can start using the baby's name and start thinking in terms of having a son or a daughter.

Believe me, a weekend was not too much to ask. Any new information about my baby is extremely exciting for me and I'm on the edge of my seat. I was only asking about the percentage and if anyone else had been told that. But, I appreciate your comment! 

• Options
    imageheckysue:

One the one hand I laughed at the reference to the "Alot."  On the other, my hormones have been all over the place and I have cried "a lot" a couple times over pretty stupid stuff.  Being disappointed over something that was important to me, like telling family if it's a boy or girl on father's day, might cause some tears these days even though typically I wouldn't even come close to crying over that.

Edited to correct a spelling error.

also I have to ditto this...with DD they couldn't tell us the sex at our big u/s because of DD's position and even though I was grateful that she was healthy and everything was going well I definitely cried because we couldn't find out...we went back 2 weeks later to get some measurements they weren't able to at the first one and they were able to give us a good guess at the second one...
  • Options
    imagemax1563:
    imageSarabeth328:

Dude, get a grip!

Easy, killer. It's called "lots of hormones and being super-sensitive because you're pregnant."  Happens to the best of us.

• Options
    imageBeanie_mrt:

I think some of the comments above are a bit harsh for what you've explained. 

I cried the other day when DH teased me about my driving so if it were something I'd been looking forward to for the past FOUR MONTHS - I'd be a crying mess and I fully believe I'm gripped on reality.

It's okay to be bummed that you can't find out the sex right away, sometimes you never get to find out without genetic testing. 

I found that by giving the baby a nick name it helped me bond.  We call him Kiwi because he was concieved in New Zealand!!

Good luck at your US. 

Re-read her post...it was ONE WEEKEND and she gets an u/s every damn week! And, 90% isn't good enough?  Pleaaaaaaassseeeee, this post is genuinely annoying to me!

ETA: Meant to say weekend

• Options

imageKredd88:
    Why did they do an u/s at 19w when they are doing the anatomy scan at 20w?  There is no 100% until the baby is born so it's unlikely you will get any doctor to tell you that they are positive.  With us, they were as sure as they could possibly be at this point - and I hope they are right, otherwise we will have a little boy with a lot of purple stuff!  But there is never a guarantee in untero

This Yes

CafeMom Tickers Photobucket
  • Options

My doc said the same thing at 19 weeks.. "90% its a girl but don't bank anything on it."

At 22 weeks we got the:  "Its a hamburger, not a hotdog." line.. 

Part of me is still paranoid that "she"'s going to come out a boy and I'll have to take everything back that I've bought because its all girly.

I say wait the two(+) weeks til the next one when they tell you 95%.. then go shopping but keep all your receipts! 

:)

• Options
    imagelilmgirl:
    imagemax1563:
    imageSarabeth328:

Dude, get a grip!

I still see someone remembers our dear friend alot!  LMAO

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

The U/S tech won't ever tell you 100% for liability reasons. My aunt has been a U/S tech for 30 years and she's only ever been wrong once, and she still won't say 100%.

I would say that it's safe to say you're expecting a baby girl if they told you 90%.

TTC #1 Sept 2008
    M/C 9/21/09 | M/C 12/24/09 | BFP 1/23/10
    Madeline Rey DOB 9/30/10
    TTC # 2 Jan 2013
    BFP 3/12/13 | EDD 11/18/13
    It's a GIRL! Lydia Marie!
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemax1563:
    imageBeanie_mrt:

I think some of the comments above are a bit harsh for what you've explained. 

I cried the other day when DH teased me about my driving so if it were something I'd been looking forward to for the past FOUR MONTHS - I'd be a crying mess and I fully believe I'm gripped on reality.

It's okay to be bummed that you can't find out the sex right away, sometimes you never get to find out without genetic testing. 

I found that by giving the baby a nick name it helped me bond.  We call him Kiwi because he was concieved in New Zealand!!

Good luck at your US. 

Re-read her post...it was ONE WEEKEND and she gets an u/s every damn week! And, 90% isn't good enough?  Pleaaaaaaassseeeee, this post is genuinely annoying to me!

ETA: Meant to say weekend

Pretty sure being 19 weeks she's not getting an ultrasound every week since she only see's her Dr once a month.  This was a great question not all first time moms know that this is normal practice.  I would have cried to if I planned on telling my family on Fathers Day and then wasnt able to.  90% is a good probability but when you want a 100%, 90% seems smaller odds.  I really think you need a grip she's doing just fine Smile

• Options
    imagelilmgirl:
    imagemax1563:
    imageSarabeth328:

Dude, get a grip!

Muah. I heart you! :)) My fellow grammar nazi...  

• Options
    imagelilmgirl:
    imagemax1563:
    imageSarabeth328:

Dude, get a grip!

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options

I was supposed to have an anatomy U/S at 19w6 days.  The doctor called me the day before and moved my appointment to that day so they could get me for another tube of blood because of a lab problem.  He didn't want to screw up my insurance, so he told me "next month."  I went to my 25 week appointment, and the U/S tech was sick, so I didn't get it that day either.  I got a call about a week later at about 5 o'clock asking if I was free tomorrow at 8am, and they would just throw me in when someone else ended up canceling.

This is how I ended up with a 25w4d anatomy U/S.  Having to wait a couple days is hardly the end of the world.  The extra month and a half was kind of annoying for me, but it was worth it.

Also, I was told by both the doctor and the U/S tech that it was "for sure" a boy.  At 25 weeks, it's not hard at all to tell, before 20 weeks, they sometimes have issues, but after that, it's not hard.  I'd also like to say that if I have a girl, she's going to have a significant penis.  As the 50-some year-old U/S tech congratulated us on the size of it, and even made us a nice picture with an arrow pointed at it.

• Options
    I'm with you--I would have been pretty bummed about not having the U/S on the Friday before Father's Day when you'd be looking forward to it so much.  It's only natural to get disappointed when things do go the way you'd hoped.  As for a 90% guess, I'd totally go with it at this point and just use the next U/S to confirm.  I'll probably ask at every future U/S, 'it's still looking like a girl, right' even though I sound the three little lines for the girl parts with my own eyes. Hopefully at the anatomy scan they'll be able to freeze frame and point it out clearly for you.  GL!
    BabyFetus Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"