2nd Trimester
Options

Most ridiculous pregnancy myths?!

Just wanted to start a poll about the most ridiculous myths you've heard about pregnancy...I'll start:

1) If you raise your arms above your head, you can miscarry, because it "dislodges" the placenta

2) Don't walk your dog (it can cause same effects as above)

3) Eating spicy food or drinking Cod Liver Oil can send you into labor fast!

4) Sleeping on your tummy in the 1st tri can "smother" your fetus 

~ Mrs. G

Re: Most ridiculous pregnancy myths?!

• Options

5.  'Blessed' men will end up poking the baby in the head.  Get over yourselves men! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageandipandic:

5.  'Blessed' men will end up poking the baby in the head.  Get over yourselves men! :)

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Must've been a myth started by a very optimistic man!
    ~ Mrs. G
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagePrincesseliss528:

Just wanted to start a poll about the most ridiculous myths you've heard about pregnancy...I'll start:

1) If you raise your arms above your head, you can miscarry, because it "dislodges" the placenta

2) Don't walk your dog (it can cause same effects as above)

3) Eating spicy food or drinking Cod Liver Oil can send you into labor fast!

4) Sleeping on your tummy in the 1st tri can "smother" your fetus 

Well I guess I'm screwed.Stick out tongue

CafeMom Tickers Photobucket
  • Options

6) If you deny yourself a craving the baby with get a birthmark. 

LOL 

imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    7) If you see an ugly child while pregnant, your baby will be ugly.Huh?
    CafeMom Tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    imagelindsayluong12:

LOL 

Okay its a myth I know.. But I am thinking of telling DH this one.. muahahah! 

• Options
    if someone scares you during pregnancy the baby will get a birth mark.
  • Options
    8) If you are having a boy...your nose widens. WTF?? Thanks MIL, keep your mouth shut from now on.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options

9) Spicy food will burn the babies eyes.

10) If you're having a girl you get REALLY WIDE.

Ditto on the nose widening I heard this also.

• Options

imageSnoopyLuv:
    8) If you are having a boy...your nose widens. WTF?? Thanks MIL, keep your mouth shut from now on.

Stick out tongue Before I was really showing, my mom told me that was the only way she could tell I was pregnant.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• Options
    9. If you are having a lot of m/s in 2nd tri, you're having a girl

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• Options
    imagelindsayluong12:

LOL 

HAHA! Must be why DS has a huge one on his leg! I had GD and had to watch it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagejfwilliams:
    imagelindsayluong12:

LOL 

Okay its a myth I know.. But I am thinking of telling DH this one.. muahahah! 

Haha, you do what you need to do!  Your secret is safe with me ;-) 

imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageandipandic:

Now that made me laugh!

10. Sleeping on your back can hurt the baby.

I heard this when I was first 7 years old and it scared me half to death until my mother cleared it up for me! 

• Options

11. If you are a pregnant woman, you are not allowed to touch/check on tamales during the cooking process. It is believed a preg woman's hormones ruin the flavor.???HUH????

I honestly think that one was started by a preg woman who got stuck making tamales.. They are A LOT of hard work. That's how I would get out of making them! LOL

• Options

Sorry to butt in from 3rd tri, but the spicy food/cod liver oil thing isn't actually a myth.  However, I think it's castor oil, but there are girls on 3rd tri who tried it and it worked.

And the spicy food thing is kind of complicated.  The theory is that spicy food can upset your digestive tract which can cause diarrhea, which can cause dehydration, which can cause contractions to start. 

Batman likes to watch cartoons on the weekends. Whatever.

"I'll gladly take cold sores over eye herpes" -ElieFin
    "Unicorn glitter gives me UTIs." -Leila'sMommy
  • Options

12)  If I eat sushi, I'm going to get mercury blood poisoning.

13)  The only lunch meat acceptable to eat is Subway.

14)  Jumping down from a chair (while taking things off the wall for summer in the classroom) will cause me to harm my baby.

15)  Sitting outside in the sun, by the pool, will bake my unborn child. 

These were ALL from the same person who JUST had a baby of her own in September of '09.  I actually ate a turkey sandwich in front of her just to freak her out while school was still in session.  She's an idiot.  Miraculously she's the only one who's shared any dumba** information. 

• Options

imageKitiara0364:
    9. If you are having a lot of m/s in 2nd tri, you're having a girl

This isn't necessarily a myth. I did read a study about hyperemesis and the elevated chances of having a girl. 

Another myth I've heard is that if you lift your arms/stretch too far you'll get the cord wrapped around the baby's neck. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I really wonder where people come up with this BS.  I'm a first time mom, and have read a few books.  That's about the extent of my knowledge of pregnancy.  But, realistically, I know that it is not at all logical to believe that, if I raise my arms, the cord is going to wrap about the baby's neck.  There's also the HB myth...  higher is a girl, lower is a boy.  Don't people realize that, if that were true, the medical community would have it down to a science and use it to determine the sex already?  Just because the HB myth is true for one person out of 50 doesn't mean it's going to be true for you or your LO.  I seriously wonder where these myths started.  Probably some hillbilly before the invention of the internet.
  • Options

Ditto on the whole arms above your head thing, except that it will cause the cord to wrap around the baby's neck and kill it. 

This one is extra special......putting hot tortillas on your stomach will prevent miscarriage.  I had an acquaintance give me that "wisdom" with a straight face. 

• Options
    imageSugarpie3:

11. If you are a pregnant woman, you are not allowed to touch/check on tamales during the cooking process. It is believed a preg woman's hormones ruin the flavor.???HUH????

I honestly think that one was started by a preg woman who got stuck making tamales.. They are A LOT of hard work. That's how I would get out of making them! LOL

This I have heard but also if you are on your period it will spoil red sauce... What the hell does pregnancy and periods have to do with any of this?!

If you are figting with some one while youre pregnant your baby will look like them...

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    blue33blue33 member

LOL! I heard that fighting or not likimg somedone will cause the baby to look like them too!

The reaching over the head thing, hahah.

also heard that pregnant women should not go to funerals, because it is bad luck.

• Options
    A coworker was told by her grandmother not to cross her legs or the baby would be cross-eyed. (Apparently it does slightly increase your risk of varicose veins though)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageluckystarz:

That if you have a lot of heart burn, baby will have a bunch of hair!

Ugh, so stupid. I had NO heart burn with DS and he was born with a head full of hair!

Same for me!

• Options

16) If you eat the heel of the bread loaf you will have a boy.

17) If you eat strawberries your baby with have a birthmark.

18) If you are having a girl she steals all of the mother's prettiness.

• Options
    I am Pregnant with baby # 5. I have heard so many crazy myths! My fave is "no scary movies, you could miscarry or go into labor". REALLY?!?!
  • Options

My SIL recently informed me that smelling beer was just as dangerous as drinking it.  Because even the alcoholic fumes can harm the baby.  Good to know, right?  ::eye roll::

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    I been told not to deny a craving or the baby will always have his/her mouth open. 
  • Options
    imagePubStar09:

Sorry to butt in from 3rd tri, but the spicy food/cod liver oil thing isn't actually a myth.  However, I think it's castor oil, but there are girls on 3rd tri who tried it and it worked.

And the spicy food thing is kind of complicated.  The theory is that spicy food can upset your digestive tract which can cause diarrhea, which can cause dehydration, which can cause contractions to start. 

Castor Oil has a laxative property too. My DH is a pharmacist, and they discussed castor oil as one of those old wives tales that work in school.

Also the heartburn/hair growth thing has been scientifically backed up - the hair growth hormone CAN cause heartburn.  But like everything else in pregnancy, it's not the same for everybody, so you can have lots of heartburn and a bald baby, LOL or vice versa.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"