Maryland Babies
Options

My 2 yr.old won't hold my hand in the parking lot!!!!

I'm going crazy with Maya and parking lots!!! She's VERY independent and usually doesn't like to be held/carried unless she's tired.  The last couple of months, she insisted on walking on her own in parking lots.  She will start off holding my hand and seconds later will pull her hand out of mine.  She doesn't run away, but she walks in whichever direction she feels like.  Either way it's a dangerous situation for her. When I go grab her hand and tell her "you need to hold mommy's hand out here" she falls into a temper tantrum and falls on the ground screaming.  Causing me just to pick her up and take her to the car with her screaming and kicking the entire time.  Which sometimes is difficult if I have my hands full with grocery bags.

I just don't understand.  She seems to have good behavior in everything else, but this.  She just turned 2 in May, so I know she doesn't really understand the dangers, but I don't know how to teach her that it is a rule to hold hands where there are cars...no exceptions.

HELP!!!!!!!

Re: My 2 yr.old won't hold my hand in the parking lot!!!!

• Options
    My DD does the same exact thing (will be 2 in August).  I think it is just her way of demonstrating her newfound independence.  As much as she still loves to cuddle now, she has become very comfortable telling me, "No Mommy, I big girl now!" in regards to many things.  My DH and I tried to bolster her between us and have her hold both of our hands (kinda tried to make it a game for her) when crossing the street the other day.  That worked for a hot minute.  I have to admit that lately rather than get into it with her and have her throw a full out meltdown in the street/parking lot (just as you mentioned),  I will just scoop her up most times and carry her.  We will start off walking together but once she pulls her hand away, she's in our arms, even if it means kicking and screaming.  Better to be safe than sorry I guess.  I think you're right--she doesn't get the seriousness/safety factor in it, just wants what she wants when she wants it.  I've explained it to her about a million times and will continue to do so.  I hope that if she gets picked up enough times for pulling her hand away (which she doesn't want)she will eventually get the idea.
  • Options
    I don't really have any advice, but wanted to say I feel your pain.  My 2.5 year old does this...and I usually end up just picking him up and breaking my back.  Since I have 2 small ones, I tell my older daughter (3.5) to always keep her hand on the car until we're ready to walk.  Usually this is while I'm getting the other one out of his car seat.  Otherwise, I'll bring her over to his side and she starts walking around...and I'm terrified!  So now, she knows to keep a hand on the car (door, beside the door...wherever...) until I'm ready to hold it.  It does keep her near me and I can see her and watch.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD started this too, I tell her if you don't hold mommy's hand you have to go back in the cart or you can't get down and I have to hold you then she usually listens? For now anyway she will be 2 in august. Good luck :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm hoping this is just a phase.  DS has been getting better about it over the past several weeks.

Keep reinforcing the rule, eventually she will listen... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

• Options
    Aiden is going through an independent phase now.  His favorite phrase is "no mommy, all by myself."  Be firm and consistent with her.  If she won't hold your hand, carry her.  She'll figure out eventually that she needs to follow your rules (and not throw a fit!)
    Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • Options

B was the same way to the point where he ran away from DH once into the street and almost got hit by a car. It was terrifying!!!! So for a few weeks we used one of those kids leashes that I swore I'd never use before I had kids, and made his wear it every time we got out of the  car. He didn't like it, but he did get the point that he can't run. Now before we get out of the car we always ask him what the rule is and he says "no running" he is much better (not 100%) about holding out hands. GL!

• Options
    Hi Esweet! I know this is unrelated to your post but I tried to contact you through PM, please check:-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"