2nd Trimester

Is O'Douls OK to drink?

I am getting conflicting answers online. It has less than .5% alcohol. I just had a sip of the amber and it's actually pretty good -I want to drink the whole bottle.?

Re: Is O'Douls OK to drink?

• ....Seriously?  No honey You shouldn't drink alcohol while your pregnant. .5% or 30%. No beuno
  • No - because it tastes disgusting.

Other than that, yes, go ahead.  7-Up has that amount of alcohol, too.

• Loading the player...
  • MSC03MSC03 member
    I'd go for it. I love me some N/A Labatt!
    imageimage
  • I had a couple when I was pregnant with DS, and I've had a few this time too. I think it's fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lol, I never tried a real O'Douls, but this Amber is pretty tasty.?
  • IMO-no alcohol is okay.

• I wouldnt risk it but  that's just me. If you know its not the best for your baby why do it?
  • I just had one tonight, I've had a few so far this pregnancy.  Then again, I don't have an issue with an occasional glass of wine either.  Drink up :)  You'll pee it out faster then it's absorbed. Your body probably takes in more alcohol using Listerine.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't know the right answer, but I'm sure if you call your OB's office they will tell you if it's okay or not.  It can't hurt to ask, right?
    imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I tried to drink one before when I was REALLY craving a beer, but didn't like it. I don't see any harm in having one once in a while though.
  • imagememelou10:
    ....Seriously?  No honey You shouldn't drink alcohol while your pregnant. .5% or 30%. No beuno

Well I'd suggest against eating ripe bananas or drinking kefir then too.

Dude, drink the O'Douls.  It's not the best, but it'll do in a pinch. 

• it is fine.  You should try Kaliber or Buckler.  Both are very good...taste like a real good beer.  As for the alcohol amount, someone posted a comparison with orange juice which was interesting.
  • I think it's fine.
  • imagehappilyeverafter2005:

IMO-no alcohol is okay.

I don't even think its just your opinion & all of our opinions, its in books & online. It is not proven just alittle is ok, they say no alcohol during pregnancy...in my opinion thats not that hard. Its 9 months, put it down & grab a water.

• imageUSArmyWifeToBe:
    imagehappilyeverafter2005:

IMO-no alcohol is okay.

I don't even think its just your opinion & all of our opinions, its in books & online. It is not proven just alittle is ok, they say no alcohol during pregnancy...in my opinion thats not that hard. Its 9 months, put it down & grab a water.

https://topnews.us/content/213-drinking-alcohol-moderation-during-pregnancy-does-not-harm-children

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/OnCall/story?id=4232695&page=1

https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301263,00.html

That's in books and online too.

Look, people can fall wherever they may, but for God's sake, don't condemn a woman for drinking a NON ALCOHOLIC BEER during pregnancy -- when you likely use mouthwash or eat ripe bananas.  There's more naturally occurring alcohol in things we encounter every day than in that O'Douls.

Additionally, while North American doctors seem to come down hard on the side of absolute abstinence, physicians worldwide take a more laid-back approach, suggesting no more than 1 glass of wine a day.

My personal comfort zone is no alcohol in 1st tri, NA beer in 2nd, and extraordinarily light usage in 3rd tri (PHYSICIAN RECOMMENDED, interestingly, because of my irregular 3rd tri contractions).  

• Drink the O'Douls FFS.  There is more alcohol occuring naturally in things like the juice you drink and fruit you eat.  Anything with sugar can ferment and create alcohol.  I drank a few N/A beers throughout this pregnancy.  I asked my m/w about it and she nearly laughed because I was concerned with less than 0.5% alcohol by volume.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My OB told me to drink O'Douls when I was pregnant and DH told him how I was craving beer and salivating at Coors Light commercials.  He said his wife drank them through all four pregnancies. 
  • imageUSArmyWifeToBe:

IMO-no alcohol is okay.

Yea?  Tell that to my high risk doctor who told me a glass of wine every once in awhile is totally fine.  And also my best friend, a *gasp* real OB/GYN who also told me drinking occasionally is okay.  Most doctors won't tell their average patients to enjoy the rare glass of wine or beer because they don't know how it will be taken (some people you give an inch they take a mile).  But I can assure you that there are many very highly regarded doctors that disagree with the notion that a little bit of alcohol is going to ruin your child.

Not everything is black and white. 

O'Doul's is non alcoholic.  MANY of our foods contain traces of alcohol.

For the record, so I don't get accused of child abuse, I have never had a drink in any of my pregnancies.   

• When she posts something like this she is going to get different viewpoints on the matter.
  • Not trying to get on anyone's bad side but just saying.
  • imagegrr_aargh:
    imageUSArmyWifeToBe:

IMO-no alcohol is okay.

https://topnews.us/content/213-drinking-alcohol-moderation-during-pregnancy-does-not-harm-children

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/OnCall/story?id=4232695&page=1

https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301263,00.html

That's in books and online too.

Look, people can fall wherever they may, but for God's sake, don't condemn a woman for drinking a NON ALCOHOLIC BEER during pregnancy -- when you likely use mouthwash or eat ripe bananas.  There's more naturally occurring alcohol in things we encounter every day than in that O'Douls.

Additionally, while North American doctors seem to come down hard on the side of absolute abstinence, physicians worldwide take a more laid-back approach, suggesting no more than 1 glass of wine a day.

My personal comfort zone is no alcohol in 1st tri, NA beer in 2nd, and extraordinarily light usage in 3rd tri (PHYSICIAN RECOMMENDED, interestingly, because of my irregular 3rd tri contractions).  

thanks for posting this, as I was so tired last night I had no energy to search for links.

OP, I hope you had your n/a beer and enjoyed every last sip.  Next time, get one that is even yummier.  You'll be so happy to be enjoying a "beer" in the hot summer sun.  Happy "drinking"!

• N/A beer is, on average 0.5% alcohol by volume, regular beer (in Canada, anyway) averages 5% alcohol by volume. This means that it would take 10 N/A beers to equal the alcohol in 1 regular beer***.

So drinking an O'Doul's is the roughly same as drinking 1/10 of a regular beer, i.e. a mouthful. I wouldn't worry. In fact if I didn't despise the taste of beer (very un-Canadian, I know) I think I'd try them now that the weather's nice. I've actually caught myself eyeing the N/A Beck's at Sobey's.

*** Isolating the alcohol from a standard 355mL N/A beer would give 1.775mL of alcohol, isolating the alcohol from a standard 355mL regular beer would give 17.75mL of alcohol. I add this only because someone once said my math was wrong on this***

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegrr_aargh:

This.

American doctors are so uptight it's ridiculous. They have zero tolerance rules because they don't trust their patients to drink in moderation. In Europe, women will continue to drink wine with dinner throughout their entire pregnancies. To worry about the alcohol in n/a beer is like worrying about the caffeine in a square of chocolate.

I abstained completely during the critical first 12 weeks of development, but now I'm going to relax a bit. Last night I had the first glass of wine I've had since my BFP, and I don't feel an ounce of guilt.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I find the Labatts NA to taste just like Labatts Blue Light........yummy!!
  • imageramy3695:
    imagetiffanyp:

imagegrr_aargh:

This.

American doctors are so uptight it's ridiculous. They have zero tolerance rules because they don't trust their patients to drink in moderation. In Europe, women will continue to drink wine with dinner throughout their entire pregnancies. To worry about the alcohol in n/a beer is like worrying about the caffeine in a square of chocolate.

The bolded is absolutely true. I'm seeing a German OB here (in Germany) and he told me at my very first appointment that a glass of wine with a meal was perfectly fine. Unfortunately for me, I have had an aversion to wine since I've been pregnant lol. 

• imageramy3695:
    The bolded is absolutely true. I'm seeing a German OB here (in Germany) and he told me at my very first appointment that a glass of wine with a meal was perfectly fine. Unfortunately for me, I have had an aversion to wine since I've been pregnant lol. 

Bummer! I didn't want to drink during my first trimester. I felt like I had a constant hangover so alcohol wasn't appealing at all anyway. Now that I feel better, I miss it more!

• imagehappilyeverafter2005:
    When she posts something like this she is going to get different viewpoints on the matter.

Well sure, she is.  But it'd be nice if those viewpoints were based in things like fact and research and not overreactive nonsense. 

• imagegrr_aargh:

When she posts something like this she is going to get different viewpoints on the matter.

Well sure, she is.  But it'd be nice if those viewpoints were based in things like fact and research and not overreactive nonsense. 

YesBeer

• Going to find myself a beer now with all this talk.....
  • imageallyandpat2010:
    Going to find myself a beer now with all this talk.....

i love when you post...I get to see that beautiful family of yours!  For what it's worth, I am going to a Lia Sophia party this evening and bringing my two Bucklers which are in the fridge.

• Since it's my anniversary, I am totally planning on having a small glass of wine tonight.  ***gasp!***
  • imagehippotree:
    Since it's my anniversary, I am totally planning on having a small glass of wine tonight.  ***gasp!***

red or white? Or some Prosecco!!!!

• imagewife1014:

imagehippotree:
    Since it's my anniversary, I am totally planning on having a small glass of wine tonight.  ***gasp!***

Decisions, decisions!  Prosecco sounds good since it's so hot!
  • imagehippotree:
    imagewife1014:

imagehippotree:

Decisions, decisions!  Prosecco sounds good since it's so hot!

I would love a glass of prosecco right now.

• imagewife1014:

imagehippotree:

Some people are amazing by how overreactive they are.

I had a glass of Moscato last night with dessert. It was delicious.  I LOVE Prosecco, too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"