Birth Stories

XP: Jonah Quinn's home water birth

Yesterday I went to the midwife and she stretched me again then I went for acupuncture for 2 hours!  I got home around 4:30 and had been having contractions for a little while but nothing regular or hard.  About 20 minutes later I decided to start timing them just to see where I was and they were coming every 2 minutes.  I thought that was odd, who has contractions that start every 2 minutes and sent my mom home.  They kept up for the next 20 minutes and were getting more intense when I called my mom and told her to come back.  I spoke with my MW and she said to track them for another 20 minutes and to call her back. 

By the time I called her back, I was having a hard time talking during the contractions so she was going to come over.  She had an assistant and two other women who were just accepted to midwifery school come with her and in addition to my doula, I had TONS of support!  During every contraction, someone was rubbing my back, neck or shoulders or trying to alleviate pressure on my pelvis. These women rocked!

I tested + for GBS, so had to have an IV drip for 20 minutes but it over quickly and the IV was taken out.

We had the tub set up in my downstairs living room and Dh filled it up.  After a while I decided to hop in to see if it made the contractions feel better and it did.  It was a little odd dropping trou in front of several women I didn't know but I got over that quickly enough. :)  I labored draped over the edge of the tub with my legs splayed out behind me like a frog.  It was the most comfortable position I could find.  During contractions, someone would pour water over the small of my back and it really made a difference.

Transition came and went within 3 contractions. I went from blowing air out of my mouth like a horse to growling low in my throat.  According to my MW, I pushed for approx. 16 minutes and Jonah was born!  I tore enough for several sutures but feel pretty great today!

He had the cord wrapped around his neck and was slow to start breathing so they got me out of the tub into bed and got him stimulated enough to cry within a few seconds.

I started timing the contractions at 5:06PM and he was born at 8:41PM!  He's a little lazy when it comes to breastfeeding but I'm sure he'll pick it up in no time.
He weighs 8lbs 2oz and is 21 inches long.  Completely perfect in every way!

This was the exact birth I was looking for and couldn't be happier that we did it at home!

Re: XP: Jonah Quinn's home water birth

• Amazing... sounds like it was a wonderful birth to me. Congrats on going au naturel, Momma! You're stronger than I! :)

And a HUGE congrats on the new addition!!!!!!!!!

~ SARA ~

Mother to:
    Aidan William (3/19/09)
    Laila Monet (1/5/11)
    Ava Selene & Chloe Corinne (2/6/12)

• Congratulations, you have a beautiful birth story and I LOVE your son's name!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Great story, congratulations!
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • Hurray for Jonah's happy arrival! I loved my son's water birth at home, and your story makes me so excited about doing it again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"