Secondary IF
Options

4,000 ?s about IUI

I am starting my first IUI cycle next week.  I go to the RE w my hubby on Monday to get my meds, meet w the doc, and learn how to give injections.  I have so many questions that I've written down fr my RE, but there is no way I can let my head spin until then, so I need all of your help :o) What were your experiences?  Were the injections painful? Did you opt for the trigger shot...why or why not?  Did you have success?  I know these are lots of questions, but any advice, answers, etc. are greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Doriimage
"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Re: 4,000 ?s about IUI

• Options
    There's just ZERO way I'd go through injections without a trigger shot. It helps regulate the window in which they expect ovulation and more closely monitors your ovaries & follicles. I'd also ask if they're going to draw your estrogen levels before triggering (to make sure those eggs in there are mature and WILL ovulate instead of just triggering by size of actual follicle).

Injections, do they hurt? Not as much as an interveinious needle poke. I think its just something you get used to and remember that the "pay off" is worth it.

Sorry to give you MORE questions but here's to awesome answers!
  • Options

I can't speak to the IUI, but the injections and trigger don't really hurt for more than a second.  However I could never administer them myself.  I did read that you should let the med come to room temp before injecting it; I'd just take it out of the fridge at dinner so it wouldn't be cold at bedtime.  I didn't notice any side effects.

GL!

ETA: I got pregnant my first cycle on follistim + ovidrel

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I never found the IUI to hurt, just a little uncomfy like a pap smear. 

The IM injections hurt a little more then the subq but none of them are too bad. If you are really worried you can ice the site before you do the injection. 

Hope that helped, and good luck! 

Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
  • Options
    Thanks so much ladies.  Lets get pregnant already!!!!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Doriimage
  • Options

This was my first cycle with IUI. I was so nervous about injections as well.

DH gave me the Bravelle on Tuesday. Thursday i had my levels checked and follicles checked. That night I triggered and go for my IUI tomorrow. I triggered with Ovidrel which I gave myself. the needle is so tiny and short, the pinching of my stomach actually hurt worse.

Ill keep you postedon the IUI but from what I've read it isnt painful.

My nurse went over every question i had and everyone was so patient and nice. it has made this whole IF expierence much easier.

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

• Options

Were the injections painful?  It depends on the meds.  I did Repronex and it stung pretty good going in.  I administered it on either side of the belly button-one side, one night and the next night the other.  The injections left hard, painful knots at the injection site for about 12 hours.  That's the reason you alternate the side of the belly buttons.  You do get used to them though.  The first one is the toughest.

Did you opt for the trigger shot...why or why not?   Don't even start the process of injectables unless you're doing the trigger.  The trigger is a much bigger and longer needle and it does go in the muscle.  It's harder to take than the other meds.  All the trigger does is release your eggs so they are there waiting on the sperm on the day of the IUI.

Did you have success?  IUI 1-2 I did Clomid and Trigger and both BFN

IUI #3-Repronex for 12 days (low dose and slow growth of your follies will produce the best Quality follies) and trigger was the charm.  I'm expecting twins in the next 8 wks or so. 

GL!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We didn't do injectables for the iui.  I'm with the others for recommending a trigger shot. For us, it helped also to time it with an optimum number of days abstinent.  It will also release all eggs and not just the "leading" egg(s), so all get a change.

My doc did the trigger at the office.  It's like any other shot that i've had - nothing weird or particularly painful.

After three years TTC, four IUI's plus 2 cancelled, MFI (morph, motility, count), maternal age (40 as of 5/12) & former endo, we're moving to IVF spring 2012 (good/avg AMH and FSH). We did beat the odds once, however. DD born after 2 years TTC with clomid and no monitoring at my age 35. Doctors are SHOCKED we were able to conceive. Here's hoping for another miracle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"