Multiples
Options

VERY interesting hospital tour tonight (long)

DH and I went on a hospital tour (finally). In the middle of the tour one of the expecting mothers collapsed right on the floor in the doorway.  She really hit her head and it was one of those scenes where all the sudden you hear this huge thunk and look back and see someone on the ground with no warning.  Well, it gave my husband the shock of his life because after we left he says, "You are not driving anywhere" and is now treating me as if I am going to just fall over at any minute. It's sweet, but I am really hoping that it stops because I wonder if I can do this for another month or so.  I don't know what happened to her but she was responding and I hope that everything was okay.

I also found out that my hospital does "mother baby couplet care" which basically means that they will not allow you to send your baby to the nursery overnight.  The only reasons that they will take the babies are when the mother is too sick or the baby is too sick.  Other than that, you will have the baby (ies) in your room at all times.  I was surprised!  From what I read on these boards I thought this was probably an option.

So, from MoM's that have done this, any advice for me?  I am thinking of having my husband come for the night  (like the 11 pm to 6 am shift) and having my mother and possibly his mom split the daytime shift.  Is this necessary?  Since they are shared rooms I can only have one person at a time, so this is going to be interesting.  The good news is, after asking the nurse, I found out that since I am having twins there is a good possibility that I won't have to share a room, unless there are a lot of people in L&D and then because of space I will have to.

Re: VERY interesting hospital tour tonight (long)

• Options

Hope that woman is OK. :( I came close to passing out several times during pregnancy and for that reason did feel a little uncomfortable driving later on.

Our hospital had only private LDR rooms available and also did mother-baby couplet care (I think they called it something different but I forget what). I would definitely have someone lined up to be there with you the whole time you're at the hospital because you have no idea how you'll be feeling after giving birth. My epidural took a while to wear off so I couldn't get out of bed without assistance (or almost passing out) for about 12 hrs. Also, the babies were across the room under the lights to stay warm so it would've been difficult for me to get over to them at first. Also needed help getting them in position to nurse, etc., etc. ... For me personally, I definitely needed DH there the whole time! I mostly BFed (which took a LOT of time, especially trying to keep one of my boys awake enough to eat!) and tried to rest and recover a little and he changed the diapers, soothed in between feedings, etc.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    I really don't think you need a "day shift" and a "night shift" in the hospital.  I did have the option of sending the babies to the nursery and actually took advantage of that 1.5 nights because they were driving me insane one night, but DH didn't stay at the hospital with me because we wanted things to stay as normal as possible for JR at home.  When I had JR 2+ years ago DH stayed with me the whole time, I highly recommend it, and that'll help a TON (seemed like my boys threw a fit as soon as it was just them and me, I almost called DH one night at 11 to have him come up and have MIL watch DS1).  Have your DH stay the nights with you, don't worry about the day, I'm sure you'll have visitors and the nurses should be able to help you with things you need here or there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks.  The only reason I would "let" DH go home during the day is to get some actual sleep.  Since he is a worrier, I am afraid that he may be literally sitting there watching the babies sleep all night and I know that after a day of trying to do this he will be falling asleep, potentially when I need him most.  It may be the little bit of sleep that he gets before we come home!  I will definitely be asking for some additional help. :)

The woman fainting was crazy.  I am not one that generally reacts strongly to those types of things, so when it happened I just kind of stood there and thought "ok, what should I do now?"  He looked at me and grabbed my hand.  It was scary, she literally fell flat on her back and hit her head right on the wood floor.  I guess I am just lucky that I have never felt like that during pregnancy! 

• Options

I always wanted our babies in the room with me anyway.  I don't like when the nurses just come and go with them.  When we were in the hospital with our 1st, a nurse took him in the middle of the night one time and told us she'd be right back and was just checking his vitals, temp, etc.  Two hours later, I had to send my hubby down to check on him because I was freaking out that he wasn't back yet!!  So then when we had our 2nd, hubby followed him to the nursery every time he had to go.  I just prefer to know exactly what's going on with them!

As for the help, my hubby has been in the hospital with me for my entire stay.  Does your hubby have to go to work, or could he stay with you?  That would probably be best.  If not, you may want your mom or MIL helping out during the day, mostly for logistics to hand you babies or hold them while you eat or go to the bathroom : )

~Crystal~ SAHM to Sam (5), Hugh (3), Mary & Grace (22 months) : )
  • Options
    imagehcastiaux:

Thanks.  The only reason I would "let" DH go home during the day is to get some actual sleep.  Since he is a worrier, I am afraid that he may be literally sitting there watching the babies sleep all night and I know that after a day of trying to do this he will be falling asleep, potentially when I need him most.  It may be the little bit of sleep that he gets before we come home!  I will definitely be asking for some additional help. :)

Oh ok!  I would be willing to bet that after watching you labor/deliver, and being up with new babies... he'll zonk out when they're actually asleep!  You don't get much sleep in the hospital anyway because nurses and doctors are coming and going constantly and the babies might not sleep much, but you survive somehow : )  You're pretty much going on adrenaline for the first few weeks!

I personally think it's best for you both to go through everything in the hospital and your first few days as parents together (when possible), because it starts you out on equal ground and sets the stage for shared responsibilites... but, that's just me ; ) 

~Crystal~ SAHM to Sam (5), Hugh (3), Mary & Grace (22 months) : )
  • Options

We had the nursery option but experienced both options.  My little guy spit up a lot of mucus after the c/s and at times it was a little frightening; his face would turn red and he'd gasp while we patted his back to help him out.  We didn't get much sleep with that going on, and our nurse the first night discouraged us from sending the babies to the nursery.  The next night the nurse was way nicer, encouraged us to sleep, and took them to the nursery between feedings.  I can't imagine doing that first night alone, and I could barely get out of bed on my own until late on day two.  I definitely think you should have somebody there with you at all times, preferrably your DH  if possible so he can learn and experience everything you do. GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"