2nd Trimester
Options

Baby Essentials class?

Are you/Have you taken a class through the hospital that teaches parents about baby basics (diapering, bathing, etc.)?  My hospital offers a one day class for around 50 dollars.  What was your experience?

Also, would you recommend taking the Baby Essentials course AND the course on childbirth?  Why/why not?

THanks!

Re: Baby Essentials class?

• Options
    I'd rather take a "baby essentials" class for free from my mom or someone else i trust/who won't be over-eager to give advice. I think if it would make you more comfortable to take it from the hospital staff, go for it! To each her own.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DH and I took a baby basics course. I found the information helpful, and it's different than what we learned in the childbirth class. It may sound silly, but I never knew how to properly bathe a newborn, swaddle correctly, etc. before we took the class. Also learned about proper care for a circumcision, umbilical cord stump, and how to make your own baby wipes. They do go over some of that stuff in the hospital, but I was not in state where I could remember a lot of information at that time. I was glad we had already went over it in class.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagelarivierek:
    I'd rather take a "baby essentials" class for free from my mom or someone else i trust/who won't be over-eager to give advice. I think if it would make you more comfortable to take it from the hospital staff, go for it! To each her own.

This can be good advice, although some things have changed from when our parents were raising babies. For instance, it's not recommended that you use any baby powder at all, a baby can inhale it. Also, my parents were told that you needed to rub alcohol on a umbilical cord stump to help it dry. Now doctors recommend that you do not do that, as it doesn't help at all and can lead to an increased risk of infection.

• Options

Thanks for the reminder!  I brought my info to work today to schedule for these classes!

My hospital does the classes for free, but I signed up for the all Saturday class.  In addition, I signed DH up for the new dad course, signed up for the pet course and the breast-feeding/pumping/returning to work class.

Honor3 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"