Birth Stories

Successful VBAC w/ pit induction

On June 1st I had my 39 week appointment (which my dr. told me the week prior she didn't think I would make it to). Anyway, once again my BP was elevated. This was the 3rd week in a row, that I had an elevated BP reading. The week before my bloodwork came back slighty abnormal, showing signs of pre-e. My doctor felt it was time to deliver. I was excited and nervous at the same time. Of course, I always wanted to go into labor on my own, when the baby was ready. I was also hoping for a VBAC, so I was afraid that being induced would ultimately lead to another c-section.

I went home first to make arrangements for DS#1 and get my hospital bag. We finally made it to the hospital around 4:30 pm, and L&D was packed. Every bed was taken, even the four beds in Triage. DH and I had to wait in the hallway until a room opened up. Thank God, I wasn't in labor already! We finally got into triage, where they hooked me up to the monitors and started my IV (I was GBS +). At that point I was contracting on my own every 7-10 min., but nothing too painful.

Finally around 9:00pm we were moved out of Triage and into our L&D. Immediately, the doctor started the induction process. She broke my water and started the pit. I was really scared of the pit contrax. With DS#1, I was given pit and the pain level went from 0 to 10 in a matter of minutes. This time was different. The contractions got closer together but the pain was still bearable. After about an hour, my doctor checked me and I was 4 cm (I was 2-3cm when I arrived). At that point, she offered the epi. Originally, I wanted to go med-free. But since I was a VBAC and my chances of a repeat C were greater, I decided to get the epi. My doctor told me that if I did need to have an emergency c-section, that I would be put to sleep if I didn't get the epi.

I started shaking like a leaf as soon as the anestiesologist(sp?) came into the room. I was so afraid of not being able to stay still when he put the needle in my spine. I got through it, and everything turned out fine. I felt no pain anymore. I could still move my right leg, but my left leg felt like a tree trunk.

Things progressed pretty quickly after the epi. When my doctor checked again an hour or two later, I was 8-9 cm. Then a minute after she left the room. I told the nurse I felt the urge to push. She checked me and I was complete. She told me I could wait an hour before pushing to let the baby's head come down more. I waited maybe 10 minutes and the pressure was too much, I had to push. The pushing didn't go quickly. I couldn't really figure out where to push, since I was numb. After about an hour and a half of pushing my doctor suggested using forceps. I thought she was going to suggest a c-section, so when she said forceps instead, I agreed. One contraction later Ian Michael was born! June 2nd at 3:20 am. It was such an amazing feeling! I laughed and cried at the same time. I am so happy I was able to have the VBAC. It was a different experience from my first son's birth. I felt more connected and present with Ian's birth than with my first son's c-section.

Good luck to all the other VBAC hopefuls! I hope you get the birth experience that you hope for, too!

Re: Successful VBAC w/ pit induction

• Congratultions!  I love hearing VBAC success stories.  I do have a couple of questions:

Why did you have a c/s the first time?

and

I guess not a question, but a difference from my situation is that my OB will not induce a VBAC.  If I don't go into labor on my own, repeat c/s it is.

• The reason for my c-section the first time was due to fetal distress, my baby's heartrate was dropping with every contraction.

That's unfortunate that your OB flat-out won't induce a VBAC. My OB allows it depending on certain circumstances. I believe I had to have already been dialated some and my cervix softened. I think they only are able to use Pitocin, too.

• Loading the player...
  • That's awesome that you were able to have a VBAC. Congrats on the new addition!!
  • i love hearing this!! i was a successful induced VBAC as well! i went with the dr that i did bc she is supportive of them and i think that is the key! i wish everyone was a canidate and would try them :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I cannot tell you how badly I am hoping for a successful VBAC, and it is so nice to hear stories like yours.  It gives me hope!  Congrats!
  • Congrats!  I had a successful pit-induced VBAC also:-)  I am glad you had a great experience!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • oh i am so happy to read this story...i'm planning on a VBAC (i'm expecting in Feb 2011)...with my son it was an emergency c/s so I never even went into labor. I love reading success stories like yours! thanks for sharing it!
  • Congrats, I love hearing VBAC stories!  Your son is just the cutest thing ever!
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"