New York Babies

Short term disability in NY

I'm not sure if anyone has asked this before but, does anyone know how much time you get for maternity leave under short-term disability?

Apparently, by the time my due date comes along, I will be one month shy from qualifying for FMLA. My HR rep said I would have to apply for short-term disability but I'm just not sure how much time I would get. The HR rep said she'd look into this, but I also want to do some digging on my own.

Does anyone out there know how much time NY State allows in this situation? Please let me know. Thanks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Short term disability in NY

• delg23delg23 member
    3 months and its hardly any money. Like 17% of your pay...
  • Thank you so much.

And blech... who can live off of that? Sigh... Thank goodness we have a good amount socked away.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • imagedelg23:
    Yikes! I'm so glad I moved to nj! We have 3 months at 60% pay.
  • delg23delg23 member

imagechristin228:
    imagedelg23:
    Yikes! I'm so glad I moved to nj! We have 3 months at 60% pay.

dang it! Why did I move FROM NJ. LOL.  

• Actually short term disability is not 17% of your paycheck but actually 60% of your paycheck for 6 weeks if you give birth naturally, 8 weeks for C-section. FMLA is only 3 months. Also, most likely you will have to use all your available PTO time and then use your PTO Savings which is 100% of your salary before you apply for the short term disability. You should definitely speak to HR in detail as every employer has different policies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"