Stay at Home Moms
Options

Anyone else can't stand Barefoot Contessa lady?

I know this is totally random, but I am hooked on her show and recipes (which are awesome) but I seriously can't stand the woman. She is such an uppity snob.

'use GOOD butter, use GOOD olive oil"  And having to throw a dinner party for some friends who aren't able to make a trip to their chateu on the French Riveria, so I am throwing them a French-themed dinner party (I'm making that up- but she totally does things like that)

anyway, just an observation....but I do love her food!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Anyone else can't stand Barefoot Contessa lady?

• Options

My husband and I watch and have a running dialogue between her and her husband, Jeffrey.  He seems so weird and it's so strange how she tries to have everything ready and perfect for him so we joke that if she doesn't have dinner waiting.....

It's much more fun in person though.  Sounds stupid saying it on here lol.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    OMG I cannot stand her...so much to the point that when I see her name on a FN recipe I cringe. She has good recipes but you are so right about the snobbishness.  Good butter my arse...I'm using my $1.50 Walmart butter on your upity up recipe to cheapen it, mmmkay? You don't see Paula Deen commenting on my butter.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagesafy:
    You don't see Paula Deen commenting on my butter.

HA!

• Options

Me!!!  I have to turn the channel when I hear her voice.  It grates on my nerves!!  I haven't tried any of her recipes because I can't watch the show long enough to see what she's making!

• Options
    Never watch her show but yum, her packaged brownies are to die for. Maybe you would like her more if you started eating her brownies while watching her show :)
  • Options

I actually love Barefoot Contessa.  To me usually she seems really friendly and warm.  And her recipes rock, they are so good.  And I'm in love with her house and kitchen...

But now that you mention it, I guess she does kind of come off pretentious!  I never really took it that way, I guess I always just thought she was encouraging people to use the best ingredients they can afford but you have a point.  :)  I still love her, but maybe she is a bit of a snob.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can't stand her and the music to her show!  I laughed as soon as I saw the subject line to this post.  I love the food network, but have to switch as soon as that music starts. 
  • Options
    I confess I'm a huge fan.  I love the Barefoot Contessa but she's definitely a food snob.  However it doesn't offend me at all - I think she just wants everything to taste as good as possible.  She's a fantastic cook and her recipes are usually awesome so she must be doing something right.  She lives in the Hamptons and she knows a lot of rich people, yes.  However I love the fact that she's on the heavy side, doesn't wear a lot of makeup or fancy clothes and seems perfectly comfortable with who she is.

• Options

Ha ha!  I have noticed her "high society" tone but it doesn't bother me too much.  I mean, she is high society so it suits.  I do agree about the "good" thing.  I felt so bad buying mozzarella from the grocery store :( but now I'm like whatever.

Another random note about her- her voice is really soothing to me :)

• Options
    JCMJCM member
    I agree with you & DH thinks she is such a pretentious ***! He refuses to watch her.
  • Options

I like her. My sister has actually met her and has said that she is nice.

Although, I do agree that there is this "air" of food snobbery! LOL!

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    I like her. I mean, I don't know.....to me she's saying that the ingredients you use are going to make a difference. Why is that snobbish? And lets face it: the woman is from money, married it, then made her own fortune. I'd LOVE to have a friend that did crap like that for me.
  • Options
    imageEveryNameIWantIsTaken:

My husband and I watch and have a running dialogue between her and her husband, Jeffrey.  He seems so weird and it's so strange how she tries to have everything ready and perfect for him so we joke that if she doesn't have dinner waiting.....

It's funny you say that 'cause MH thinks the exact opposite. He says thar Jeffrey wears the dresses in that house, LOL!
  • Options
    imagetara07733:
    imageEveryNameIWantIsTaken:

It's funny you say that 'cause MH thinks the exact opposite. He says thar Jeffrey wears the dresses in that house, LOL!

ROTFL!! So true......hey its Friday, doesn't that mean Jeffrey gets his roast chicken- "there is nothing Jeffrey loves more than a roast chicken after a tough week at work"

• Options
    I can't stand her! I can't even get through a whole episode she is so snobby.
  • Options

imageaxr8111:
    Never watch her show but yum, her packaged brownies are to die for. Maybe you would like her more if you started eating her brownies while watching her show :)

I haven't had them but I saw at testing on America's Test Kitchen and they came in #1 for boxed brownie mix, Ghiradelli was a close #2 (and much cheaper)

• Options
    imageyellowsnow:

Me!!!  I have to turn the channel when I hear her voice.  It grates on my nerves!!  I haven't tried any of her recipes because I can't watch the show long enough to see what she's making!

same here lol

• Options
    Liz342Liz342 member

I never noticed but yeah I guess she does have that Martha Stewart-ish tone to her voice BUT I think she seems like a very warm and friendly person.

I think she has that air about her because she probably came from a wealthy family and because of the industry she works in etc. but I really do think she seems very nice and probably just cares about the quality of the food.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I like her. Yes, she does encourage you use high-end ingredients, but I don't think it's because she's snobby, I think she just knows it'll likely make the food taste better. Look at her, she enjoys food and wants the people watching to enjoy it too. And if she can afford to get fat on Parisian truffles rather than Hostess cupcakes, more power to her. 

As for comparing her to Paula Dean ... well, it's not like Paula's exactly hurting. I mean, she may live in Savannah instead of the Hamptons, but she's living in a mansion, not a duplex in the bad part of town. I guarantee when she's cooking for her family, she's using the highest quality stuff too, she's just not emphasizing it on-air. 

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can't stand the way she talks. DH can always read my mind. He changes the channel for me!
  • Options
    ugh! she is SO annoying.....what does she count as being "good" anyways?? butter is butter.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

We really like her. Her recipes are delish and most are fairly easy! I always have room to change up her recipes without messing it up. We do joke about Jeffrey though. I mimic her talking about how much Jefferey LOVES chicken.

You all LOVE the 40 cloves of Garlic Chicken recipe Mrs.Shavers found from the 'cookie -something or other' blog - well it is a Barefoot recipe! :)

• Options
    imagesafy:
    OMG I cannot stand her...so much to the point that when I see her name on a FN recipe I cringe. She has good recipes but you are so right about the snobbishness.  Good butter my arse...I'm using my $1.50 Walmart butter on your upity up recipe to cheapen it, mmmkay? You don't see Paula Deen commenting on my butter.
    (bent over laughing in stiches)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"