Military Families

Anyone else doing/have done delayed immunizations?

Yesterday at DD's appointment we talked about immunizations with her Dr. He's super nerdy and didn't really give us many answers lol. He told us that if we didn't follow their schedule of immunizations (6 shots at 2 months! Holy heck!!) that we'd need to go down to Immunizations at the clinic and get them done there.We would just take her down there and tell them what shots we want her to have. Is it really that easy or are we missing something? I feel like there should be something else we have to do or some other hurdle we have to jump over.

Re: Anyone else doing/have done delayed immunizations?

•  I haven't done this myself but have had other people do it, and the only trouble they went through is other Drs giving them a hard time.  As long as you keep track of all the shots she needs and have gotten then you should be fine.  I hope someone else can answer more of your questions.
  • We are delaying ours as well. We had a nurse practitioner that through a sh** fit over it, but when we switched to a CNM in the same practice (not just over immunizations, lol) she was totally cool with it and said people did it all the time. Let me know what you find out, because she made it sound like it was pretty easy.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are on an alternative vaccine schedule.

She gets half her vaccines at her Well Child and the other half the alternating month.  However, we see civilian peds.

• DS sees his ped (who is wonderful and sort of leaves the immunizations up to me), then we go down to the immunization clinic and he gets shots.  I TELL the clinic which shots he will and will not be getting.  If he needs a shot but not a well baby appointment I just go up to the clinic and tell them which shot he needs (if it has been a while since his last appointment with the ped we have to weigh him again before the shot).  It really is just that simple for us.
  • I think we'll be delaying ours and/or not getting some.  DS sees a civi ped.  The first one I called I asked about delaying they pretty much said he couldnt be seen there.  This one seems to be okay.  His 2 month appt isnt till july 1. 

Im disgusted by how many they get.  My mom said they get 55 shots by the time they are 6!  We had  very little growing up and were fine. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Do you mind sharing the schedule you will be using? I haven't had much luck in finding one online and DS 2 month appointment is coming up on Monday.
  • I split all DD's shots. She'd get half at the scheduled appointment then we'd come back the next month for the rest. I am going to delay the MMR shot until at least 18 months. I've already talked to the clinic about it and they don't have a problem with it.
  • We've split them up in the past, the immunization clinic could care less.  They have the CDC schedule for what's recommended so they can tell you what you should have and when.. I told them that I wanted her to have all her shots but didn't want to give them to her all at once.  For her 6 month shots, I think we went once a week for a month.  She had the 'normal' shots and then both flu shots.. so with the flu bosters it was a lot but they were able to split it up so she didn't get more than two shots a week.

They split it up for me and printed out a schedule of when we needed to come back based on which shots we did already and everything.  They were super helpful.  I didn't have a specific schedule in mind, but I'm sure if you came in with something they would do it.

• With my  DD we have delayed some immunizations. We go to military doctors and they were ok with the delay, but when I went to immunizations clinic they wouldn't delay any. They basically said either get all the shots or nothing and gave me a really hard time so I now take her to the health dept. and they will do whatever you want. You just have to make sure you keep all the records and keep up with which vaccines your child has gotten and make sure you don't get behind.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"