Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

WDYT... do Godparents have to be a couple?

I'm so stuck.  My DH best friend pretty much declared himself godfather but I don't have a relationship at all with his wife.  I really wanted my sister as her godmother but now she's hesitant to do it with out her husband....ugh.

Are they really supposed to be a couple?

I guess if my sister refuses I would choose my SIL as a next choice.  This sucks.  My sister says it hurts her feeling and her DH that we wouldn't choose them as a couple but I really don't seem to have a choice in DH's best friend.  DH is his daughter's godfather.  Am I selfish for wanting my sister to get over it for the sake of my daughter?  After all this isn't for me or for her... it's for my baby.  I guess it hurts my feelings that she wouldn't do it for my baby girl.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WDYT... do Godparents have to be a couple?

• Options
    my god parents arent a couple and neither are my LO
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    DD's godparents aren't a couple..... my sister and DH's brother.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think godparents have to be a couple. Can you have two godfathers and one godmother? Is there a rule saying you can't have more than one? Not sure what the church says about that? Just a thought!
  • Options
    I'm surprised that someone would have the balls to declare themselves a godparent.  It seems like it should be more an honor than an entitlement.  Do what YOU feel is right for your baby girl.
  • Options

I am godmother to my friend's son.  Her cousin is the godfather.  The godparent's of DS will be DH's best friend and my sister.  Do what works for you!

• Options
    nope, pick who you want!
    AnniversaryPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

My godparents are not a couple.  DD's godparents are not a couple either...my sister and DH's older brother.  I don't think that the godparents have to be a couple unless you, the parents, want it that way.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree. It doesn't have to be a couple, just whatever two people YOU and DH choose. I think your sister is being silly. There's no reason for her not to be godmother just because her husband isn't the godfather.
  • Options
    We each choose our best friends to be God parents.  They are not a couple.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I don't think they have to be a couple at all. It should be a personal choice and you shouldn't be forced to do it. If your sister declines that is fine. It's kind of like when people feel they should be able to walk down the aisle at someones wedding with their SO. Point, it is not her moment. Sorry if she doesn't get that. 

Our story. We ended up with three godparents due to a similar situation. DH wanted his nephew to be a godfather and I wanted my Bro and SIL. We decided to just ask all three. I know if we just asked my Brother my SIL would not have made a big deal of it. I felt I should, because I'm close to both. I also felt DH should have a say too.

• Options
    I think the couple mentality comes from the school of thought that the godparents would take over raising DC if you both would pass away, so then it makes sense for them to be a couple.  I absolutely say pick whoever you want and that your sister should be honored to be asked and not be complaining that her H is not the godfather.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options

No. They don't have to be a couple. You don't even need 2 godparents. Just one. My sister is DD's godmother and her only godparent.

I believe you can have 3 but that is more a pain than it needs to be. Ask your sister to be godmother. If she says no, she is the one missing out. 

• Options
    DS's godparents are not a couple!
  • Options

My Godparents are not a couple.  And Tooter only has a Godfather.

• Options

They don't have to be a couple.

And IMO it also depends on the role you expect them to play as godparents. If you expect them to be a strong, active influence in raising her in her faith, having a couple is easier, but if it's more of an honorary role as it is for a lot of people, having a couple isn't really that necessary.

I would have a sit-down with the parties involved and tease this out a bit.

• Options
    DD only had one Godparent.
  • Options
    DD godparents are not a couple. But seriously...he declared him self godfather? what did he do scream "DIBS!" when you told him you were pregnant? lol. What does your DH think? Ask your sister and if you want ask your BIL as well. It's up to you guys. GL!

• Options
    People were fighting over Keira; so I decided she has no god parents.  How do you like that?  Everyone freaks out when I tell them she doesn't have any.  People want to act like children; then you don't deserve to be my daugter's godparent.  That is just my opinion, of course.
  • Options
    My Godparents are not a couple, and my bro and I godparent our cousin
  • Options

The godparents do not have to be a couple. My childhood friend and DH's bro will be the godparents. Not sure what your religion is, but LO will be baptized in the Catholic Church and only 1 has to be Catholic but both have to be active in their faith.

Technically you're supposed to choose some one who will be responsible in giving religious and life guidance if the parents fail. Also being present for all major events including church. Choose whom ever you want. You probably shouldn't go with some one you barely know.

• Options
    i don't think they need to be a couple. if dh wants his BFF then he can choose him and you can choose your sis....that way you both get a choice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    DD's godparents are not a couple...we wanted to represent both DH's and my family so we choose my SIL and my brother.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options

imageGracey_Manor Maid:
    DD godparents are not a couple. But seriously...he declared him self godfather? what did he do scream "DIBS!" when you told him you were pregnant? lol. What does your DH think? Ask your sister and if you want ask your BIL as well. It's up to you guys. GL!

YES... this exactly!  Well he actually called DIBS before I even got pregnant.  Mainly because DH made him share his best man role with his brother.  He actually already sent the church all his information and everything. 

My sister actually just officially declined because she said it would hurt her husband's feelings.

• Options
    My godparents are brother and sister.
  • Options

my godparents are not a couple, neither of our children has a couple as godparents.   my sister--who had a couple as godparents--now has little contact with her godmother because of a divorce--so perhaps non-couple is good!!! :)   

i say if your sister won't do it without her dh, then maybe they get the next child?  or can you have an honorary godfather??   my son has two god fathers (they are partners)  only one is "recognized" officially by the church--we could only name one on paperwork, but for all practical purposes and in our eyes both John and Rich are the god-daddys!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"