Military Families

Just came back to the bump and saw this new board!

I've been gone for a little while moving/unpacking/vacation and just came back to find this board!

I don't see anyone I know from the month boards so I'll give a small intro.

DH was Army and we were at Ft. Lewis for 4 yrs. He ETS'd and we moved home a year ago. He then went to the reserves. We just made the decision for him to go back active duty. So we are in the process of that. I have no idea where we might want to go this time if we even get a choice. I actually kind of miss Ft. Lewis, but it's the only place we've been.

Anyone else's DH go back to active duty after getting out?

Miscarriage/D&E 10w6d 10/3/14 (baby's heart stopped beating)

Ectopic Pregnancy discovered @ 10 weeks 5/6/14 (Lost right tube and ovary)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Miscarriage @ 9 weeks 11/9/08

Re: Just came back to the bump and saw this new board!

• Just out of curiousity what was "the" factor that made yall want to AD again?

DH is thinking that after this enlistment, he will get out and go reserves but we have had a lot of friends do this and get back in within a year.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMarineWifey1106:

Just out of curiousity what was "the" factor that made yall want to AD again?

DH is thinking that after this enlistment, he will get out and go reserves but we have had a lot of friends do this and get back in within a year.  

Originally when he first enlisted it was with the intention of getting out in 4 yrs and becoming a cop. So the whole time he was in we kept looking forward to the "settled down" life of living home near the rest of our family and staying here for the rest of our life. We could not wait to get to that point.

Well now that we are here, we've found that we miss the military life. He has a great paying job, so it's not the pay. I think being in the Army kind of defined him (and me too as a military wife) as a person. He misses the comraderie and pretty much everything. He even went so far as to say he actually misses PT at 0600.

Maybe it is about money just a little bit too. Where he works now he tops out on his salary in 3 yrs. Whereas if he goes green to gold like he's planning he'll start out making just about what he will top out at. Not to mention when he retires, you can't beat the Army's retirement package and benefits.

It's really just been a build up of many factors that finally made us choose to do this. Most of it has to do with the fact that he ended up hating the people he works with now and feels like his job is too stressful. Oh, and he's not too fond of being in the reserves either. Though, i think he prefers it too his day job.

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you :) those were the reasons we were thinking we would probably end up back AD. Job security, and retirement being high on the list but my dad always complained after he got out of the Navy that he couldn't handle working with civilians because they lack the respect and discipline that he was used to in the Military. :)

But we feel we need to try to "regular" as his fam calls it (because right now we're "special" haha) for at least a little bit... but I've already told him that even though it sucks being 800-2500 miles away from our closest relative, I love our life right now :) 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yeah, I loved our life then too. I wouldn't have changed what we did. If he'd stayed in, he would have deployed a month before Hailey was born and missed all of this time. I just can't imagine her not knowing her daddy all this time. Plus it really allowed us to see what it was like living in the 'regular' world again. Now we know we are meant to be a military family and will have no regrets going back in. For the most part we know what to expect, though the Army might throw in some surprises.

I definitely know the feeling of wanting to be "regular" again. It's what we always thought we wanted. Now his family pretty much thinks we are crazy, but it's only because they don't understand. You'll know what's best when the time comes.

• imageMarineWifey1106:

my dad always complained after he got out of the Navy that he couldn't handle working with civilians because they lack the respect and discipline that he was used to in the Military. :)

oh and this part, definitely! DH is always complaining about how crappy the people he works with treat him. It's unbelievable the stuff he's told me. I always thought him being a cop would be pretty similar to the Army environment, but apparently not. At least not where he works.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"