High-Risk Pregnancy

Whats happens if you don't pass NST??

Will your doctor induce you that day?? Going for my first today.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Whats happens if you don't pass NST??

• It depends, but possibly.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Usually, you will repeat the test... if the baby shows little movement or significant deceleration in heart rate you may be scheduled for more testing (a stress-test if you are not contracting) or you may be scheduled for an induction.  

I have had a NST last about 1 hr because the baby wasn't cooperating, and I failed my last NST that I had with DS. The nurse wanted to repeat the test.

They are basically just looking for # movements and the change in heart rate. If you are worried about failing, bring a juice box or two and a small snack! 

Good luck! 

- - - - Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit The Knot! image image Visit The Knot!
  • Loading the player...
  • Knock on wood I have never failed an NST, but according to my doc, if there is anything questionable first they would send me to l&d for a more sophisticated (and longer) monitoring. They would also do an ultrasound with a bpp. After they have all the info they need, they would make a decision. That's just my doc though, and he is old school! GL and enjoy relaxing and listening to LO's heartbeat. Be prepared though that if LO is not being very active they use this buzzer to stimulate LO. It's no big deal, just weird!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the info!
  • Ally- your baby does something "funky" during the NST there are two things that could happen first. Yesterday I got sent to L&D for "prolonged" monitoring. So I basically sat for another hour on top of the first hour I spent in the dr office. The other option is they pull out an ultrasound machine and do a BPP. They look at fluid, breathing, and movement. If you don't pass those they may talk induction.
  • I have mine today too Ally! I swear, its so funny how we've had a very similar pregnancy. Best of luck to you today!

We got the keys to our new home about 10 days ago and have been remodeling (the previous owner was a meth addict and a carpenter so there are some interesting things to fix) and hoping to move before the baby arrives. Of course the property manager found tenants for my other home right away so now we are living with my mother in her guest bedroom. Anyway, that is why I haven't been on lately!

I hope your NST goes well! I am glad you posted the question because they didn't really tell me anything about the test... 

• I've had 3 tests so far. It starts as I'll go in for a routine OB appt they will hook me up to the monitor at the clinic and if the Dr doesn't like the results they send me up to L&D where I'l be on the monitors for about 2 hours and usually give me an I.V. They send me home when my blood pressure has leveled out considerably and baby's heart rate has averaged between 120 and 150 for over an hour.
  • All is well! Mikayla passed with flying colors! One more week and then we will schedule my c-section for week after next!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"