2nd Trimester
Options

2+ moms--able to decline IV?

Just wondering if anyone tried to decline an IV while in labor, and what your results were? I prefer not to have one as it will limit my mobility but I am not sure how it will go if I try to decline it...

Anyone able to get a hep lock instead?  

Re: 2+ moms--able to decline IV?

• Options
    I had group b strep so that was a no go for me!
  • Options
    This is a good question for your hospital during your childbirth class or L&D tour unless it is up to your doctor (which it usually isn't). The hospital I'm going to only does an IV and it is mandatory. This is why I'm going to try and wait until I'm in active labor to get to to hospital even though my DH thinks I'm crazy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You do know a 'hep lock' is still an IV, it is just flushed so it is no longer hooked up to saline or whatever drip you are on.  I'm guessing you will most likely get an IV no matter what. (it is safer to have one BEFORE an emergency happens, because they are so hard to put in once you are in an emergent situation, and you don't want to be without IV access!)  BUT, I'm sure at times they can saline lock it and let you move around.  Depends on what's going in there at the time.  Good question for your hospital.  Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kcl22kcl22 member

imageharleyjo:
    You do know a 'hep lock' is still an IV, it is just flushed so it is no longer hooked up to saline or whatever drip you are on.  I'm guessing you will most likely get an IV no matter what. (it is safer to have one BEFORE an emergency happens, because they are so hard to put in once you are in an emergent situation, and you don't want to be without IV access!)  BUT, I'm sure at times they can saline lock it and let you move around.  Depends on what's going in there at the time.  Good question for your hospital.  Good luck.

This.  A heplock is an established IV that isn't running.  So you'd only be refusing fluids, not the IV.  I'm sure they'd let you do that but as a PP suggested ask about their policy

• Options
    You can "refuse" almost anything. I'm very pro-low intervention birth/labor, but I would never refuse an IV. Just ask them to put in the IV and not start fluids. As long as your labor isn't super long and complicated you can get by without IV rehydration. That way if you do end up needing fluids, meds, emergency c/s, you already have the IV in place. If your blood pressure drops it can be really difficult to get a good IV site, and when you need emergent meds or surgery is not the time to get an IV. Just having it there and "locked off" won't hurt anything.
  • Options
    Can they do a peripheral catheter in the back of your hand? I used to have weekly IV's (for something non-pregnancy related) and I would get a catheter so I could disconnect it and get up to use the bathroom if I needed.
  • Options
    Yes, our hospital lets you eat and drink as you want. I did have a hep-lock with DD and later an IV as my labor was very long (over 100 hours).  But up until then I was just drinking water.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am just going to get the hep-lok and not start fluids.  I want a natural labor/birth, but I also want to be a bit realistic if it comes to an emergency situation.  Fortunately, the hospital I am using is very pro-natural.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Meh, I just can't do IVs anymore.  I had several IV fluid ER trips and I just can't stand them.  Wondering if I can screw around long enough to accidentally have the baby not at the hospital.  If I bleed out, I bleed out.  Then DH can use it all as a son story for his next wife.
  • Options
    My dr told me I could refuse the IV if I wanted.  He then added that I would in all likelihood vomit during l&d.  I wish I could remember the reason.  The IV can go on a poll so you can move around and go to the bathroom.  You just take it with you.
  • Options
    It depends on both the hospital and practitioner. When I had my daughter, both my OBGYN and hospital required I have an IV. With my little one on the way, I switched to a midwife. The hospital she works out of gives leeway to the midwife group and IVs are required only in case of high risk pregnancies and/or emergencies.
  • Options

I wanted nothing, but since I was being induced I had to get something.  I got the heplock so that I could move around (when they weren't monitoring me constantly).

• Options
    They had to put the IV in but I wasn't hooked up to anything. They said by law they have to because if you need anything, they need to be able to administer it ASAP. That is what I was told. I was in the bath most of the time until I started pushing. I went natural. Looking back, it wasn't that bad having it in, just a little bit of a nuisance, but I had other stuff on my mind! hehe
  • Options

The delivery with my DD was so fast that I didn't have time for the IV when we got to the hospital, it was great!  I never ended up with one either.  I'm hoping we make it to the hospital with a little more time to spare this time around (we got there and 6 minutes later she was out) but I would like to ask them about this...I never even thought it would be an option but considering I delivered DD fine without one I would like to push it a little not to have one. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"