Military Families

1st birthday party help!

We are having W's party on M's parents farm. Our theme is Cowboy so it will be really cute.  My dilemma is that I want to do a pony ride, but they only have horses there.  I find it pointless to hire in a pony when we have access to 15+ horses right there on the farm.  The horses are all great, but I'm worried about them being so big.  I will take W out there a couple days before to see which one he reacts better to, but is there anything else you would do to ensure the safety of the horse and the child?  M's mom is a horse trainer so she knows which ones are going to be the best with kids, I'm more worried about W's (and the other children's) reaction to the largeness of the animal.  Advice?

Re: 1st birthday party help!

• I would just make sure to have one person lead the horse and have a person on either side to make sure the child doesn't slip off. I would suggest that even if it was a pony. From what I've seen children generally love horses. And can't wait to get a ride. Let them go up to the horse first and pet it's nose and just get used to it before you stick them on top of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJoBieger05:
    I would just make sure to have one person lead the horse and have a person on either side to make sure the child doesn't slip off. I would suggest that even if it was a pony. From what I've seen children generally love horses. And can't wait to get a ride. Let them go up to the horse first and pet it's nose and just get used to it before you stick them on top of it.

I will be riding with him.  There is no way I would let my 1 year old on a horse by himself.  He loves dogs so I'm assuming he will also love the horses, but I know some horses get weirded out when little people are riding them.  I'll definitely have someone leading the horse, that really hadn't come to mind.  Thanks! 

• Loading the player...
  • imagehotmomma1:

imageJoBieger05:
    I would just make sure to have one person lead the horse and have a person on either side to make sure the child doesn't slip off. I would suggest that even if it was a pony. From what I've seen children generally love horses. And can't wait to get a ride. Let them go up to the horse first and pet it's nose and just get used to it before you stick them on top of it.

I will be riding with him.  There is no way I would let my 1 year old on a horse by himself.  He loves dogs so I'm assuming he will also love the horses, but I know some horses get weirded out when little people are riding them.  I'll definitely have someone leading the horse, that really hadn't come to mind.  Thanks! 

LoL after I posted I went back and re-read your OP and was wondering how on earth a one year old was going to ride a horse...haha. But now it makes sense. Even with you on the horse I'd probably still have someone walk beside too. Better safe than sorry Big Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • From what you have said, it sounds like these horses (at least the one that you could/will be using) is very well trained. I have spent quite a bit of time with horses and a properly trained horse is more than likely a gentle giant. I can also see the benefits of getting a pony... that is if you dont have access to a horse... since you have access to these beauties, I would say, live it up! I agree with the above post... I would DEFINATELY have someone leading the horse as well as someone on the side- you never know what could happen.

Have a great time and I wish a very happy 1st birthday to the birthday boy!

•  I think as long as you are riding with them everything would be fine.  Have fun!
  • I'm surprised no one has said this yet ... HELMETS!

No child should be on a horse without one. Ever.

• I was just going to add helmet... Also have an adult riding with the child and set up the ride AWAY from the party.

Have fun!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"